Quantcast

4/15 is getting close

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Did my taxes last night. Being a CPA, and having spent years of my life doing taxes, I tend to use Ticonderoga 2.0 for my personal tax prep, instead of using another pro, or software like TurboTax. However, with my injury, and a few new issues this year, along with some disposable cash and curiosity, I opted to TurboTax it and e-file for the first time.

I must say, the W-2 import worked nicely. Even better was the capital gain/loss import from my bank. Last year was my first year actively trading, so it was sweet to have all my trades and basis pulled right in. Hard to believe, but I didn't have any medical deductions, since my insurance covered so much of my expense. Not being a home owner, there wasn't much else to itimize. I did have royalty income from the TV show I did on VH1, since I get sonwriting credits for the original song my band wrote. Luckily, I had some new gear purchased to use as a write-off, and the income was pretty small in total.

Two hours later, I had my e-file done and two big checks in the mail from the government(s).

Don't forget to do yours or file an extension. Tis the season!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Got my refund 2 weeks ago.

Isn't it aggravating that you can't write off medical expenses under 5 grand? Year I got hit we had 4600 in co-pays and couldn't use them against our taxes. :think:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
btw - what's everyone doing with the refund money?
I just bought a new bass and placed an order for a custom built speaker box to play through :D

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
btw - what's everyone doing with the refund money?
I just bought a new bass and placed an order for a custom built speaker box to play through :D
Spent ~$600 of the $3,600 refunds on guitar parts, $200 on clothes and the rest will go to savings.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i never understood why people wait until almost the last minute to do their taxes. i would think you would want your money back as soon as possible.
my mother in law works at H&R Block and did ours the day after we got all our info. i unfortunately got mine almost three weeks later but my fiance got hers 9 days after we filed.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I use the tax software Wife 1.0. I turn my W2 over to said program, thus completing my obligations to the annual household tax filings. I've been told we usually get a refund, though after 10 years of marriage I have yet to see any of this money nor do I really care. My only concern is that the ATM keeps spitting out cash when I request it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Everything has been sent to the CPA. He should have a great time ahead of him, as we have job search, moving, self-employment, home office, multiple income sources, and a few other bits. We should be getting a couple of thousand back, at the minimum. The funds will just be going back into savings, as we had a LOT of heavy one-time expenses last year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spending my refund on the ramen noodles that has the little bits of dried peas and carrots instead of that cheap **** that is just noodle.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm going to buy a new (stainless steel) nasal septum. Rick James was right as it turns out...

Actually, I'm hoping to get a new Fox 34 whenever they come out later this year (26" wheel...gasp) to replace my beatdown Fox 36...Ike Turner would be ashamed of what I've done to that fork.

I'm sending the rest to stevew to help finance his whiskey research.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Well, speaking for the minority, some of us wait because we've managed our withholdings such that we actually owe a few bucks - a much better strategy than letting the gummint have an interest-free long-term loan before paying it back to you and calling it a refund. If your MIL works at H&R Block, she ought to be able to help you fine-tune your W-4 so that you get full availability to your money. On another note, how do you have a MIL and a fiance? Pending divorce w/ another wife already lined up?

i never understood why people wait until almost the last minute to do their taxes. i would think you would want your money back as soon as possible.
my mother in law works at H&R Block and did ours the day after we got all our info. i unfortunately got mine almost three weeks later but my fiance got hers 9 days after we filed.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If your MIL works at H&R Block, she ought to be able to help you fine-tune your W-4 so that you get full availability to your money. On another note, how do you have a MIL and a fiance? Pending divorce w/ another wife already lined up?
yeah, shes technically not my wife yet...it just seems like it.

i havent had a W2 or W4 in over two years so all of my refund is basically coming from my mortgage as well as the donations (less then $500 of course) i give every year.
i dont mind getting the money at the beginning of the year since it does help with bills or for something important like bike parts. even if i work it so they dont take as much out per paycheck (new job,) its not going to be a large enough amount per pay period for me to really care

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Turbotax has always worked well enough, as far as I can tell.

Usually we owe a bit, so I put it off for as long as possible. This year there were lots of changes, and we're getting some money back, so I'm doing them early.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I am paying in a lot, a lot more then anyone here is getting back.

Might sell a bike to help pay for them, oh well.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You'd think that people would increase their exemptions so that the gummint doesn't take MORE than their share during the year... but they don't. Rational thought is OUT the window!

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I am paying in a lot, a lot more then anyone here is getting back.

Might sell a bike to help pay for them, oh well.
I've done that too. Not much fun writing a check that big, but it was expected and I had the money set aside for it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i am amused by the fact that the term "CPA" has becime associated with preparing tax returns. in truth, there is almost no connection between CPA certification and tax knowledge. the certification requires:
1 - an accounting degree (or certain number of university credits in appropriate courses), which generaly only requires a semester long class on taxes.
2 - passing the CPA exam, which has a low percentage of weight on tax knowledge.
3 - 2,000 hours of auditing experience on the job, with no requirement for preping taxes.

the CPA designation is important for, and focused on auditing; being qualified to prepare and sign the audit report of a set of financial statements (though they often have some level of tax issue in the statements). i'd be more focused on finding a cerified tax preparer - https://www.ftb.ca.gov/professionals/registered_tax_preparers.shtml

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You'd think that people would increase their exemptions so that the gummint doesn't take MORE than their share during the year... but they don't. Rational thought is OUT the window!
I only take two and the wife doesn't work. I'd take 1, or maybe even zero, but I'd rather not wind up with a bill. Were getting some back but not enough for me to consider taking another exemption and freak out at the end of the year.