Quantcast

4 big planes

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
What have I created??

Airbus are perfectly safe....at least a safe as Boeing anyway. As for which one is "nicer"...totally depends on the airline. THEY pick the trim level. Compare an Air Canada A330, and a Delta 767-400, and I assure you that the '67 is nicer.

And yes...the A380 is a little ways away from being certified. The four in the pics, are the only ones currently in existance. It is also 6 months behind schedule and EADS stock just recently tanked (partly) because of it.

imploded

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Uxbridge, MA
If you're suggesting that Boeings are inherently safer than Airbuses then I think it might be time to put down the crack pipe.
I'm with Narlus....but I do I choose my flights based on whether or not they've got personal TV screens or not.
Read the docs, study them, read the retorts. Roselawn (ATR crash), Concorde, Toulouse, JFK, I could go on. Yes, you could cite Colorado Springs and Aliquippa as counter points, but the track record is clear. From the flight crew perspective, there are inherent safety features in Boeing's that are not in Airbuses. From symbol generators, to human factors research (of which an Airbus exec ADMITTED during a press interview in 1994 that "we find little value in understanding the human factors aspect of our systems"), there is a clear, resounding message in the design of EADS aircraft. I'll provide citations later today, I'm late for my third meeting of the day.

While yes, the airlines do pick the trim levels, and yes, they do have their choice of completion center, the fit and finish in upper classes is WORLDS AWAY better on Boeing than it is on any Airbus I've ever flown. Take the Pepsi Challenge and experience it for yourself. I've been in all three, for all different lengths of trips, and I can promise you, there is a difference. Boeing produces better work any day than Airbus can.

And why with the personal TV screen? Why waste the time? My laptop has everything I need to be entertained, including my own set of movies, not some random Hollywood crap.

Cheers,

-Andrew

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Oh lord...... whatever gets you through the night dude.....

Read the docs, study them, read the retorts. Roselawn (ATR crash), Concorde, Toulouse, JFK, I could go on. Yes, you could cite Colorado Springs and Aliquippa as counter points, but the track record is clear. From the flight crew perspective, there are inherent safety features in Boeing's that are not in Airbuses. From symbol generators, to human factors research (of which an Airbus exec ADMITTED during a press interview in 1994 that "we find little value in understanding the human factors aspect of our systems"), there is a clear, resounding message in the design of EADS aircraft. I'll provide citations later today, I'm late for my third meeting of the day.

While yes, the airlines do pick the trim levels, and yes, they do have their choice of completion center, the fit and finish in upper classes is WORLDS AWAY better on Boeing than it is on any Airbus I've ever flown. Take the Pepsi Challenge and experience it for yourself. I've been in all three, for all different lengths of trips, and I can promise you, there is a difference. Boeing produces better work any day than Airbus can.

And why with the personal TV screen? Why waste the time? My laptop has everything I need to be entertained, including my own set of movies, not some random Hollywood crap.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Whichever comes with the hotter flight attendants...and does not crash, of course. Otherwise, the flight attendants have to be REALLY hot. Horrible firey plane crash hot. But that's more the operators problem.

On the other hand, Boeing is much more fun to say than Airbus. Airbus, what a lame name for a company...might as well call it...well, Airbus. It's tough to even think of a lamer name. Aeroconveyance? Surrendairmonkey? Bah, I got nothin...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

Cheers,

-Andrew
Ho-hum, MMike makes the f*cken things and I trust him more than some random person like, say, you.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
'ello. Pai neu attencion to meh. Ah em zimply looookeeng arghrghound.. Pute de merde la!

**headbutt to chest, prance off...***

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
imploded said:
:bonk: Loser.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
heh heh yeah and you need to be careful with what laptop you try to use.....Airlines won't let some be used inflight, they make you take the batteries out!:plthumbsdown:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
heh heh yeah and you need to be careful with what laptop you try to use.....Airlines won't let some be used inflight, they make you take the batteries out!:plthumbsdown:
They do? Sheet. Flying is really becoming less and less fun. Gimme a flight to James Bay man. No security, nice and bumpy-like. But wait, you wind up in James Bay. Nevermind...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So far only dell's due to their amazing exploding batteries. Possibly macs and sonys soon as well (same battery manufacturer).

Also, I just flew on a few 12.5 hour flights. I am not sure there are any laptopbatteries that last that long. And most 747-ERs don't have power unless you are in the business or first class sections. So ya, in seat entertainment is a must.

imploded

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Uxbridge, MA
If there's anything you should be worried about, it's those Russian planes!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/09/01/iran.plane.ap/index.html
Oh yeah! In India, they still have a large fleet of ex Soviet aircraft floating around. I generally only fly Jet Airways when in-country (which are old, ex-European Boeing's), but on my last trip, they tried to book me on a Tupolev... glad I noticed it before I got to the country :eek:

Cheers,

-Andrew

imploded

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Uxbridge, MA
Aww....c'mon....

Let's see NTSB reports!
Sure!

I'm trying to find the full NTSB report, not just the record locator - but they may have moved it off-line. This is from the Roselawn, IN accident, which was when an ATR-72 entered SLD icing conditions and (IIRC) had an elevator stall, which then caused an unrecoverable condition in which the pilots had no ability to recover (later, NASA and FAA did a study with Twin Otters in simulated SLD conditions, stalling the elevators and trying recovery techniques. You can get the video from NASA still...)

The biggest parts (that are discussed in detail in the full report, but only higlighted in the synopsis) are:

"Contributing to the accident were: 1) the French Directorate General for Civil Aviation's (DGAC's) inadequate oversight of the ATR 42 and 72, and its failure to take the necessary corrective action to ensure continued airworthiness in icing conditions; and 2) the DGAC's failure to provide the FAA with timely airworthiness information developed from previous ATR incidents and accidents in icing conditions,". DGAC directly blamed the pilots of the ATR for improperly acting to the tailplane stall instead of a design deficency on the part of ATR's aircraft [of which, the DGAC was a part controller of)

The DGAC had been accused, by the FAA through the WTO, on numerous occasions (Concorde blowout, Dulles, 1979; Concorde crash, De Gaulle, 2000 - in post-accident intercountry meetings [if you remember, a piece of a Continental DC-10 was blamed as the factor leading to the ultimate crash of the Concorde]; the above ATR crash).

There were the symbol generator failures reported in A-300's in the late 1990's, one of which happened in this flight:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X07893&key=1

In the full report (offline, have to order it), there is a section on the pilot comments, in which they said the EFIS tripped offline and displayed large white slashes over the EFIS screens - a symbol generator failure, not documented in the flight manuals or in the certification materials.

"Aviation Week (4 Mar 2002, pp52-3) says that investigators learned that flight data displayed on the Electronic Flight Information System (EFIS) screens disappeared for 2-3 sec. during the upset while the avionics reset. "Data were deplaced by white diagonal slash marks across the screens." That means that the crew lost essential flight data: attitude, airspeed, rate of descent, altitude, etc. This data would normally be essential to proper recovery from an "unusual attitude", particularly at night and in clouds. (The AvWeek article does not state the time or weather conditions.)

As a consequence, the NTSB issued safety recommendations A-98-3, through -5. A-98-3 asked the FAA to require modification of the Symbol Generator Unit software so that "unreliable data reset of the [EFIS] will not occur during an upset". The SGU renders the flight data on the EFIS screens from sensor and other input. The NTSB says it "learned that the threshold for triggering an auto reset can be reached during an inflight upset. For example, if the roll angle rate of change is more than 40 deg. per sec., areset will occur." According to the Flight Data Recorder, this limit wasreached during the upset."
The DGAC, again in an intercountry filing, defended their certification and oversight actions, even though they were charged with ensuring Airbus designed and implemented EFIS standards appropriately. I do know that the FAA adopted A-98-3 through 5, and I can't find a source that supports DGAC adopting these directives.

There was the Toulouse upset, the one in which the Airbus did a low, gear down pass and was unable to climb out. The French determined that it was the Captain's failure to apply adequate power prior to impacting the trees, but several related incidents (Airbus A-320 over Toulouse, the infamous "side-stick" flight control video; A-300 China Airlines crash in Nagoya; A-300 Pakistan Airways in Nepal; and A-300 Gaurda Indonesian in Indonesia) prompted an investigation, led by MIT, into Airbus' automation practices. The results were never publicized, but in an ariticle in the journal Aviation Saftey (October, 2001), a scathing discussion of Airbus' automation practices was witten, and it cited sources from the MIT investigation into their automation practices.

I do not believe Airbus builds unsafe airframes per se, but I believe there is a categorical collusion between the government oversight boards and the manufacturer (unlike in the States) to "pass" airframes into certification without the proper records and certification review. The FAA does rely heavily on the JAA's certification of a given airframe, and while still performing it's own, independent review, will generally follow foreign certification with their own. I do believe Airbus has failed to utilize adequate human factors compliance and research in their flight deck design, as evidenced in their systems design, evolution of flight controls, and fly-by-wire systems which have all been heavily faulted for their lack to perform in unusual situations.

This dissertation doesn't mean I don't think Boeing has it's black eyes; (servo pack slide coupling interference on the 737; the infamous AWGPS announciator crash Air China had in 1998) but I believe that Boeing has more adequate oversight of their operations than Airbus did. (It's also important to note, many crashes above happened on airframes in which the pilots did not speak english well, this is especially true on the two China airlines incidents.)

So, two NTSB reports, an Aviation Week quote, and a bunch of other incidents... which all form the basis of my opinion.

Cheers,

-Andrew
aviation saftey geek

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well like I said....whatever floats your boat. None of this stuff would be enough to change my flight plans over. Especially as I fly almost exclusively Air Canda (family discount), and their fleet is almost all Airbus.

737's and their uncommanded rolls are a little sketchy IMO..... To my knowledge the never did REALLY figure out why it happened. TWA flight 800.....which intiated the red herring known as SFAR 88.... made my life espcially miserable. When everyone knows it was accidentally (or was it?) shot down......

I have no more faith in the FAA than I do any other governing body. They are very good at pointing out an incorrect zip code in a parts list and the like, but aren't so good at finding ACTUAL engineering flaws.....

imploded

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Uxbridge, MA
I can grant you that. They believe that the uncommanded roll events are due to the servo pack slide interference, i.e. they used dual servos in one body, and instead of using seals to keep the hydraulic flow ports together, they designed the ports to use an interference fit. Temperature changes supposedly led to a mis-flow of hydraulic fluid, causing a blow down condition at crossover speeds (speeds between 158 KIAS and 170 KIAS, when the you lack alieron authority to counteract yaw). The only way out of the blowdown is to apply the rudder input in the same direction of the yaw - yaw left, apply left rudder, clear the blowdown, servo unjams. I have the report around here somewhere, I'll find it and post it. It's really scary...

SFAR 88 is a total joke. I guess I just like the evil I know (see the Montrose crash, which was the same accident as the ATR, when the NTSB directly faulted the FAA for lack of response to their SLD icing rec's).

Cheers,

-Andrew

splat

Nam I am
Just to add a little more fule to the fire.
No casualties reported after two taxing aircraft collide in Beijing
Thursday, August 31, 2006

China’s Civil Aviation Administration have confirmed that on August 27th 2006, an Airbus A320 from China Eastern Airlines scratched a Boeing 777 from China Southern Airlines; while both aircraft were moving along the Beijing Capital International Airport.

Some minor damages were inflicted on the tail fin (vertical stabilizer) of the Boeing 777, while the right wing of the A320 was damaged. There were no reported passenger injuries.

The scheduled flights of the two aircrafts were delayed and passengers were directed to other airlines. Aviation officials are currently investigating the accident.