Quantcast

$4/gas... coming this summer to a station near you...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What are you hauling that needs a bed?
I can't fit both the dirt bike and the quad on the trailer. Maybe the quad would fit in the back, I've never looked. It's the small 4x8 folding trailer.

Also home projects. I have to get 5 yards of dirt next weekend.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The pre-Taco is an amazing truck, I built 4 and a 4Runner. The non SR5 with 22RE is bomb proof and you get 250hp easy.
Neighbor has had one sitting in the weeds next to their driveway for a handful of years, it's a shame.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Neighbor has had one sitting in the weeds next to their driveway for a handful of years, it's a shame.
There was a standard cab in my hood with the right front wheel off for about 4 years and when I finally got around to asking about it, it was gone.

I could do another standard, but the extra cab is so nice in the gen2. Just have to find the non SR5 otherwise you get that crap V6. You can fix the head gasket issue easy, but they are pretty gutless and not a ton of stuff to help it. The 22RE is a beast.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think we always have nostalgic ideas of vehicles we owned...some that were good...but going back and finding an example that would be close to "how it was" is a near impossibility. There's going to be something majorly F-ed up, rust for one. The Toys from that era are not in good shape IME. Those 22RE engines were great, we had one in a 4x4 pickup with the locking hubs, but the continual chasing of worn out stuff at this point would make that fairly distasteful IMO.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think we always have nostalgic ideas of vehicles we owned...some that were good...but going back and finding an example that would be close to "how it was" is a near impossibility. There's going to be something majorly F-ed up, rust for one. The Toys from that era are not in good shape IME. Those 22RE engines were great, we had one in a 4x4 pickup with the locking hubs, but the continual chasing of worn out stuff at this point would make that fairly distasteful IMO.
I was thinking about this the other day.

When's the last time you saw some car driving down the road absolutely puking white smoke from a blown head gasket or a thrown connecting rod blowing the case apart?

I swear that used to be a somewhat common sight.

Now it's the beemer on the side of the road with some douche on his cell phone because his heated seats locked him out of the ignition feature app also on his phone.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I can't fit both the dirt bike and the quad on the trailer. Maybe the quad would fit in the back, I've never looked. It's the small 4x8 folding trailer.

Also home projects. I have to get 5 yards of dirt next weekend.
Right. Dirt bikes. Forgot. I bet if you did the math, a slightly larger trailer (assuming storage availability) and the GX would probably be cheaper once you factor the math of more expensive insurance for the classic truck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was thinking about this the other day.

When's the last time you saw some car driving down the road absolutely puking white smoke from a blown head gasket or a thrown connecting rod blowing the case apart?

I swear that used to be a somewhat common sight.
It still is, you just need to live somewhere that doesn't require inspections.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Right. Dirt bikes. Forgot. I bet if you did the math, a slightly larger trailer (assuming storage availability) and the GX would probably be cheaper once you factor the math of more expensive insurance for the classic truck.
The GX is listed as 15 city, 20 hwy, same as the '08 Silverado I currently drive. What am I missing with the GX other than a bed and other utility? My truck has vinyl floor and cloth seats the way I like. I would have to get Weathertech floor mats for the GX. :rofl:

The reason I bought the Corvette was because it was getting me 26mpg vs my '92 Silverado that got 8mpg. I was paying $100 more a month (gas, payment, insurance vs gas in the truck) to commute in a Corvette and that was a pretty damn good deal. If I bought a Z for less than $14k, I would be flush.

You've seen my commute, right? Here's 2.5 miles of it

<edit> I have NEVER crossed the yellow line on Rocky Point, for the record.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It still is, you just need to live somewhere that doesn't require inspections.
Initial smog is all that's required here. I haven't had a vehicle inspection since 2000 when I brought a vehicle into the state. I had to get my shit inspected annually in florida thanks to the woke mind virus down there.

Maybe the real answer is I just don't drive nearly as much as I used to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you live in my town, there still isn't smog required. Folks take full advantage of that fact. :rofl:
Since CA has their own emissions nonsense you don't need an inspection on a car that's already been registered in the state, or if brought in from out of state, 5y old or something like that.

Like most things here, working through the details make little sense.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Since CA has their own emissions nonsense you don't need an inspection on a car that's already been registered in the state, or if brought in from out of state, 5y old or something like that.

Like most things here, working through the details make little sense.
In Oregon, the only inspection is a VIN inspection and if the VIN checks out, you are good. When I registered my bug, it wasn't running, so I brought in a pencil rubbing of the VIN and it was legit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
uh, no

Its just under 6 bucks where I live and neither of us touch hawaii

#allgaspricesmatter

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
uh, no

Its 6 bucks where I live and neither of us touch hawaii

#allgaspricesmatter
wife was in Reno for a day. $4.999 for cash price regular

kinda nutty given that NV gas tax is only something like 11 cents higher than that here in $3.499/gal Colorado, although we do have our own unique refinery network for better or worse because 85 octane.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
wife was in Reno for a day. $4.999 for cash price regular

kinda nutty given that NV gas tax is only something like 11 cents higher than that here in $3.499/gal Colorado, although we do have our own unique refinery network for better or worse because 85 octane.
and thats way cheaper than here
Now do truckee or tahoe city or south lake tahoe

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's like $4 here. But it's always like $4. It's even $4 at the refinery at the end of the pipeline in Valdez where the oil flows like salmon.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I really don’t get the Tesla hate either.

I’m trying to think of things that America can be proud of in 2022. All I got is Nasa, Tesla and SpaceX. What else?

the welfare state seems to be doing some market correction