Quantcast

$4/gas... coming this summer to a station near you...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well if the stock value is related to profitability (I know, wild assumption) then many of these companies are climbing out of a huge hole so it’s not surprising that the profits increased over a year or two ago. I’m not saying they aren’t gouging customers, just that comparing profits to the year before implies last year was some sort of baseline which it probably wasn’t.

View attachment 176562View attachment 176563View attachment 176564

The price of oil is set by the futures markets. Basically a bunch of rich dudes make bets on how much oil will cost without ever touching the stuff, then the people who actually buy it pay that price. Pretty fucking stupid eh?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Probably makes more sense to compare the P&L than the stock. Though the dip and recovery seems to follow the stock dip I posted.

Again, not saying they are saints, just pointing out the recent history for perspective. Granted these numbers are through 2021 and the article is talking quarterly 2022, so the "recovery" from the 2020 dip seems adjusted for.

Also, this statement really says a lot.
Murray Auchincloss, BP’s chief financial officer, said in February: “Certainly, it’s possible that we’re getting more cash than we know what to do with.”

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Correction, $3.8K. We may have some shitty roads and no trail maint, but at least we can all buy a new snowmachine this year.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
~$8 per US gallon for unleaded dinosaur piss in the UK at the moment.

$4 per gallon would be welcomed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bet we could last a month on the just under half tanks currently in both the minivan and the Land Cruiser. My e-bike may pay off earlier than anticipated! (Not to mention that I’m WFH this whole week due to COVID anyway.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Most of the stations here on Kauai are $5.899 for regular. Going to jet out to Costco Gas tomorrow morning to fill up since we’re going to the north shore tomorrow and are near empty already.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Does that mean "drive?"

It's getting harder and harder to tell with you fancyfolk™
Our rental is a shitbox Grand Caravan replete with rust spots and ground in red dust. Matches the rest of the rental fleet here quite nicely.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
but it's grand tho....imagine if you only had the basic caravan!
We had a non-Grand Plymouth Voyager back in high school. It had just the tiniest amount of room behind that third row bench, ridiculous that they even made that length.

One sliding door, part vinyl-part leather dark red interior under black cherry paint, LE trim so that it had a “fancy” Bose-labeled stereo with tape deck and a demo tape replete with Highway to the Danger Zone.