Quantcast

$4/gas... coming this summer to a station near you...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd be thrilled to see diesel at $4/gal again. :rofl:
It's that price here in CO if not a touch cheaper outside of the mountains.

Paid $2.539 and $2.699/gal for last two fillups of 85 octane here, fwiw (QuikTrip and Costco Gas, respectively--a refinery fire has led prices to go up a bit).

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It's that price here in CO if not a touch cheaper outside of the mountains.

Paid $2.539 and $2.699/gal for last two fillups of 85 octane here, fwiw (QuikTrip and Costco Gas, respectively--a refinery fire has led prices to go up a bit).
$4.89/gal is the cheapest I've seen it round these parts, most stations are $5.29 and above.

87 octane was $3.29/gal last time we filled up.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’m trying to think of things that America can be proud of in 2022. All I got is Nasa, Tesla and SpaceX. What else?
Damn this first paragraph is almost a redeemer.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
@kidwoo i'm generally with you on things, but your tesla hate is stupid.

The school bus was displaying its stop sign and flashing red warning lights, a police report said, when Tillman Mitchell, 17, stepped off one afternoon in March. Then a Tesla Model Y approached on North Carolina Highway 561.
The car — allegedly in Autopilot mode — never slowed down.

It struck Mitchell at 45 mph. The teenager was thrown into the windshield, flew into the air and landed face down in the road, according to his great-aunt, Dorothy Lynch. Mitchell’s father heard the crash and rushed from his porch to find his son lying in the middle of the road.
“If it had been a smaller child,” Lynch said, “the child would be dead.”

The crash in North Carolina’s Halifax County, where a futuristic technology came barreling down a rural highway with devastating consequences, was one of 736 U.S. crashes since 2019 involving Teslas in Autopilot mode far more than previously reported,

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
$4.31 for regular at Costco this morning, diesel is still over $5 in town. Diesel used to be up to a buck cheaper that unleaded.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
buy a tesla
I thought about it, looked at them, decided I couldn't risk it. With my luck, I would buy a 5 year old used Tesla and at 8 years and 2 months, the battery would shit the bed with 2 years of payments left and nothing to do to fix it.

Once batteries are serviceable, I could see it. But the Model 3 is out of the question, so a used S is the only option. I did consider a BMW i3 for like 20 minutes.

The Vette was actually not a horrible situation. Considering the overall cost of ownership, it was solid. But now is not the time to buy one. November to February is Corvette season. If I'm still commuting this winter, a sport coupe with manual will be acquired. But I hope to be back to 2 in office days a week soon.

Currently spending $90 every 4 days in fuel and it sucks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I thought about it, looked at them, decided I couldn't risk it. With my luck, I would buy a 5 year old used Tesla and at 8 years and 2 months, the battery would shit the bed with 2 years of payments left and nothing to do to fix it.

Once batteries are serviceable, I could see it. But the Model 3 is out of the question, so a used S is the only option. I did consider a BMW i3 for like 20 minutes.

The Vette was actually not a horrible situation. Considering the overall cost of ownership, it was solid. But now is not the time to buy one. November to February is Corvette season. If I'm still commuting this winter, a sport coupe with manual will be acquired. But I hope to be back to 2 in office days a week soon.

If you want an electric, there are quite a few options now from car companies. This place is silly with whistlin toyotas. At 22 bucks a day even a prius or cooper would be nice

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you want an electric, there are quite a few options now from car companies. This place is silly with whistlin toyotas. At 22 bucks a day even a prius or cooper would be nice
I was talking to my doc about the eMini. His mom has one she doesn't drive and he was talking about taking it from her. It's the overall lack of serviceability that's concerning. With an ICE vehicle, there isn't anything you can't replace as needed.

A Leaf is an option as a new one is pretty damn cheap with full warranty..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
With an ICE vehicle, there isn't anything you can't replace as needed.

Don't look at new cars and all the locked electronics these days

A friend of mine with full brodozer sled deck winter life bought a leaf for work commuting. He digs it. Dumb they quit making those.

Those eminis look cool. Getting run over by new chevy trucks with zero driver visibility is a fear

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Don't look at new cars and all the locked electronics these days

A friend of mine with full brodozer sled deck winter life bought a leaf for work commuting. He digs it. Dumb they quit making those.

Those eminis look cool. Getting run over by new chevy trucks with zero driver visibility is a fear
I never look at new cars. The wife bought a new car, my truck is an '08 WT (work truck) trim :rofl:

I closest I have gotten to new is same year demos (both for ex-wives, but you know). Cheaper than new with an extended warranty. But my truck is the newest vehicle I've bought for myself. It was $7k at auction.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Man, I really wanted an e-Mini when they first announced one was going to be produced because I was sure that would be such a fun car. But then they actually produced it and what they built it out of was disappointment. Abysmal range and sad performance numbers on top of a car that was already kind of the definition of "impractical", and I was driving a Wrangler at the time. :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I never look at new cars. The wife bought a new car, my truck is an '08 WT (work truck) trim :rofl:

I closest I have gotten to new is same year demos (both for ex-wives, but you know). Cheaper than new with an extended warranty. But my truck is the newest vehicle I've bought for myself. It was $7k at auction.
Same here. I'm just weary of the trickle down. Imma keep my 300k tacoma running as long as possible.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Man, I really wanted an e-Mini when they first announced one was going to be produced because I was sure that would be such a fun car. But then they actually produced it and what they built it out of was disappointment. Abysmal range and sad performance numbers on top of a car that was already kind of the definition of "impractical", and I was driving a Wrangler at the time. :rofl:
My office moved to the next town over a few years ago. I basically figured they'd be useful as a work driver and errand runner since I have a truck for carrying toys for fun time.

thankfully covid and working from home killed the need for something like that

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My office moved to the next town over a few years ago. I basically figured they'd be useful as a work driver and errand runner since I have a truck for carrying toys for fun time.
As a short range commuter or city car I'm sure it would be fine, but if you need a vehicle for literally anything else, you definitely need to have a second car option.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Same here. I'm just weary of the trickle down. Imma keep my 300k tacoma running as long as possible.
This is why part of me wants to build another Toyota. Get an 89-94 extra cab non SR5 and spend $8k redoing the whole thing. Get the motor done by Oregon Engine for a lifetime warranty and have a "new" rig that would literally run forever.

No big lift, nothing stupid. Basically stock plus bumpers and proper tires. The only downfall is I can't fit both bike and quad, I would have to pull the trailer that I already have.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I spend $50 maybe every 2-2.5 weeks. And even then, company reimburses me for half of that mileage (covering 3x the cost) because it's for work. Driving is overated.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is why part of me wants to build another Toyota. Get an 89-94 extra cab non SR5 and spend $8k redoing the whole thing. Get the motor done by Oregon Engine for a lifetime warranty and have a "new" rig that would literally run forever.

No big lift, nothing stupid. Basically stock plus bumpers and proper tires. The only downfall is I can't fit both bike and quad, I would have to pull the trailer that I already have.
From the save money long-term route, you can't really go wrong with getting a GX with the V8 and calling it a day. Same engine as the Tundra. It's a fucking LC Prado, so it will has forever. It is relatively nice inside, so Wife will enjoy the "luxury". And because the part overlap is so heavy with the 4Runner, it's not much concern about getting parts. Yeah, mileage sucks, but your looking at a 300k mile car for $14-18k. It's super easy to work on, the tech is old, so not much concern about it becoming issues because it's all bolted on vs. integrated. Plus if you get into an accident, you don't have to worry about insurance telling you to fuck off because you have an old-ass truck. You'll need to get the old truck insured by Haggarty for coverage if a classic, which is expensive.

I convinced my Jr guy to get one vs. a 4runner because it's so much cheaper. He's taking it off-roading almost every weekend and still hasn't gotten it past factory capacity, and he's trying.

edit: that being said, if Audi ever makes an electric Q7 (they have a Q8), I'll be eating the premium and getting one. Wifey wants a Q7 and I'm holding as long as possible to get an electric car. I think it's a waste of money (by far) and will make us work longer in life, but if it makes her happy when she's the one carrying the work load, so be it.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The school bus was displaying its stop sign and flashing red warning lights, a police report said, when Tillman Mitchell, 17, stepped off one afternoon in March. Then a Tesla Model Y approached on North Carolina Highway 561.
The car — allegedly in Autopilot mode — never slowed down.

It struck Mitchell at 45 mph. The teenager was thrown into the windshield, flew into the air and landed face down in the road, according to his great-aunt, Dorothy Lynch. Mitchell’s father heard the crash and rushed from his porch to find his son lying in the middle of the road.
“If it had been a smaller child,” Lynch said, “the child would be dead.”

The crash in North Carolina’s Halifax County, where a futuristic technology came barreling down a rural highway with devastating consequences, was one of 736 U.S. crashes since 2019 involving Teslas in Autopilot mode far more than previously reported,

want to separate elon hate from tesla hate. if possible. (and yes i know his backstory...he didn't "invent" ev/tesla, etc.)

because i don't know, i'll ask. how much does elon directly profit from tesla sales/stock at this point. thinking big picture, what is the cutoff point for nazi douche platformer profit versus greater good....

bigger picture, there are a lot more options out there now than even 3-5 years ago. if i was buying an ev it would likely be something else. but is it better in general to get a tesla versus a non-hybrid/ev if you're buying a new car? and is it a good thing in general that tesla's growth spurred development in ev at other companies?

and yeah, i'm all for ev's and hybrids (full disclosure i drive a super uncool accord hybrid with *gasp* roof racks) but hellz no for the auto driving bullshit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
because i don't know, i'll ask. how much does elon directly profit from tesla sales/stock at this point. thinking big picture, what is the cutoff point for nazi douche platformer profit versus greater good....
It's his atm machine apparently. He used tesla stock to cover twitter billz. Twitter, that thing he bought because reasons.

I'm talking about tesla the company though, regardless of the idiot in charge of it (although to some degree they can't really be separated because the stupidity of tesla is the product). Tesla is refusing to incorporate radar into their self driving mode, something every other company who has tried to develop this tech has used in conjunction with whatever else they use to build the holistic system. Because...just because. It's dangerous, and public streets are the testing grounds. Along with shit build quality, steering wheels that come off the columns while driving, non-circular steering wheels because F1 or something, and all the other dumb shit that goes along with their mandatory subscription service...

I have nothing against electric vehicles. But tesla is an IQ test that america is failing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
LIDAR is what they’re holding out on that the true level 4/5 autonomy companies are all electing to use. Prior hardware revisions had radar, too, but now they stupidly took that away in current hardware and even have been sneakily removing the radar units (!) from older cars going in for service. Because that’s the kind of company they are.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I don't think I'd care if I had auto pilot, nor would I trust it if I did, but yea no gas and 300ish miles to a charge and I'd be all over an electric car. Shit I don't go through a full tank of gas in a 3-4 weeks these days. I walk and pedal most places, and even ski trips are 100-120 mile round trip.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
even ski trips are 100-120 mile round trip.
what became patently apparent this year was sitting in traffic with a heater on, miles were irrelevant

teslas worse than most, like WAY worse than most

They're still clearing the damn things off the side of the road here

But yeah gas costs over 6 bucks here. I got nothin against electric. Just the idea that it's produced by angel farts with no downsides.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
From the save money long-term route, you can't really go wrong with getting a GX with the V8 and calling it a day. Same engine as the Tundra. It's a fucking LC Prado, so it will has forever. It is relatively nice inside, so Wife will enjoy the "luxury". And because the part overlap is so heavy with the 4Runner, it's not much concern about getting parts. Yeah, mileage sucks, but your looking at a 300k mile car for $14-18k. It's super easy to work on, the tech is old, so not much concern about it becoming issues because it's all bolted on vs. integrated. Plus if you get into an accident, you don't have to worry about insurance telling you to fuck off because you have an old-ass truck. You'll need to get the old truck insured by Haggarty for coverage if a classic, which is expensive.

I convinced my Jr guy to get one vs. a 4runner because it's so much cheaper. He's taking it off-roading almost every weekend and still hasn't gotten it past factory capacity, and he's trying.

edit: that being said, if Audi ever makes an electric Q7 (they have a Q8), I'll be eating the premium and getting one. Wifey wants a Q7 and I'm holding as long as possible to get an electric car. I think it's a waste of money (by far) and will make us work longer in life, but if it makes her happy when she's the one carrying the work load, so be it.
I need a bed, a GX would never work for me. Only reason I need an extra cab is somewhere to put my golf clubs. :rofl:

The pre-Taco is an amazing truck, I built 4 and a 4Runner. The non SR5 with 22RE is bomb proof and you get 250hp easy.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I need a bed, a GX would never work for me. Only reason I need an extra cab is somewhere to put my golf clubs. :rofl:

The pre-Taco is an amazing truck, I built 4 and a 4Runner. The non SR5 with 22RE is bomb proof and you get 250hp easy.
What are you hauling that needs a bed?