Quantcast

$4/gas... coming this summer to a station near you...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
35 million people can't be wrong! :D
I maintain my statement from before, that as along as people are willing to pay $4 for a gallon of gas, we're going to be charged $4 for a gallon of gas. the price of gas is 60 some odd cents higher than last year, and AAA is forecasting a 0.9% drop in Memorial Day driving... For all the whining, gnashing of teeth and claims of despondency, Americans are going to be driving less than 1% fewer miles than last year... :banghead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I maintain my statement from before, that as along as people are willing to pay $4 for a gallon of gas, we're going to be charged $4 for a gallon of gas. the price of gas is 60 some odd cents higher than last year, and AAA is forecasting a 0.9% drop in Memorial Day driving... For all the whining, gnashing of teeth and claims of despondency, Americans are going to be driving less than 1% fewer miles than last year... :banghead:
Hey man... this country of ours is frikkin' BIG! :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You think gas is expensive?

Seats in the lower section of the new Dallas Cowboys football stadium will be $360 each. Yeah, per game.

Want to get season tickets? You first have to purchase a seat license for $16,000!

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
The answer is so simple. We need to build more MALLS. THink about it, one trip!!! Hell, if you work there too it's even more beneficial.

I say celebrate Memorial Day at the mall!!!

I think all you RM boys and girls should join me in a push to build more malls. Driving around for basic needs and such is so 21st century.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The answer is so simple. We need to build more MALLS. THink about it, one trip!!! Hell, if you work there too it's even more beneficial.

I say celebrate Memorial Day at the mall!!!

I think all you RM boys and girls should join me in a push to build more malls. Driving around for basic needs and such is so 21st century.
Forget malls. More Super Walmarts.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Seats in the lower section of the new Dallas Cowboys football stadium will be $360 each. Yeah, per game.

Want to get season tickets? You first have to purchase a seat license for $16,000!
Season tickets for the Portland Timbers were $325. Suck it, Dallas. And the MAX light rail runs right in front of the stadium.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

That is why football blows massive amounts of anus.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
bonus points for the use of 'orgy' in a news report!!

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/1569538/

Congress Approves Measure to Close "Enron Loophole"

"Right now, there is an orgy of speculation in the energy markets, which drive up prices for consumers and hurt our economy," said Senator Dorgan. "Closing this loophole is one important step in our efforts to prevent price manipulation and to wring some of this speculation out of the market in order to put downward pressure on gas prices."

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I saw the first gas station with $4.03 premium here locally last night..

amusing thing is that the next station had it at $3.85 and reg unleaded at $3.57.

But oil broke thru the $130/bbl point today...

better gas up ye olde suv before this afternoon..

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i dont see the economics working out on selling a suv and buying a new new eco car... almost as silly as buying one of Chrysler's cars with a $3/gal fuel cap.
Talk to me about sub 20mpg vehicles when gas hits $6 next summer.

As for the $3 cap, Chrysler will be kicking themselves when gas hits $6 and they have to claim chapter 11 protection from Exxon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i dont see the economics working out on selling a suv and buying a new new eco car... almost as silly as buying one of Chrysler's cars with a $3/gal fuel cap.
i actually agree with N8 here. the consumer always takes a dive both when trading in and buying a new vehicle.

imo, the only way it makes sense is to sell your newer SUV/gas hog and buy either a cheap beater or a car sharing membership.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
my loan officer buddy says a lot of dealers on the east coast won't even consider full sized SUVs on trade.

checking cars.com it looks like i can get a '06 denali/yukon w/ a 5.7 for half sticker

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Talk to me about sub 20mpg vehicles when gas hits $6 next summer.

As for the $3 cap, Chrysler will be kicking themselves when gas hits $6 and they have to claim chapter 11 protection from Exxon.
assumptions: 20 mpg car, $6 gas subsidized to $2.99/gal, 12,000 mile a year allowance x 3 years under the promotion...

even in this case chrysler would be out a max of $5400. that's less than the incentives on many of their vehicles, so you know their profit margin is comfortably higher than that.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
even in this case chrysler would be out a max of $5400. that's less than the incentives on many of their vehicles, so you know their profit margin is comfortably higher than that.
yep: $10k cash back on full sized dodge diesel p/u here

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
assumptions: 20 mpg car, $6 gas subsidized to $2.99/gal, 12,000 mile a year allowance x 3 years under the promotion...

I never ran the numbers, but that makes sense now. My wife is rethinking the whole car idea right now. There is a Civic hatch for sale for $2400 that is bone stock that would get at least 35mpg. She is also considering a job change just because she hates the driving aspect of her current job.

So as sweet as the Fit is, I think the reality is an older Civic/Corolla is more viable.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So as sweet as the Fit is, I think the reality is an older Civic/Corolla is more viable.
a used car is almost always better than a new one from a financial standpoint, and a used car at a relatively low price is even better. grab that Civic, there's stories out there of relatively crappy cars going for big bucks just b/c they get 35+ mpg.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
An old civic is always a safe bet too. It'll run to 200k miles easily and 300k miles with some vigilance and regular maintenance.

And then you can sell it to some ricer for twice what you paid.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I am sure this will help... :huh:
The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved legislation on Tuesday allowing the Justice Department to sue OPEC members for limiting oil supplies and working together to set crude prices, but the White House threatened to veto the measure.

The bill would subject OPEC oil producers, including Saudi Arabia, Iran and Venezuela, to the same antitrust laws that U.S. companies must follow.

The measure passed in a 324-84 vote, a big enough margin to override a presidential veto.

The legislation also creates a Justice Department task force to aggressively investigate gasoline price gouging and energy market manipulation.

"This bill guarantees that oil prices will reflect supply and demand economic rules -- instead of wildly speculative and perhaps illegal activities," said Democratic Rep. Steve Kagen of Wisconsin, who sponsored the legislation.

The White House opposed the bill, saying that targeting OPEC investment in the United States as a source for damage awards "would likely spur retaliatory action against American interests in those countries and lead to a reduction in oil available to U.S. refiners."

The administration said less oil going to refineries would limit available gasoline supplies and raise fuel prices.

The Senate would still have to approve the House measure.

The Senate previously approved similar legislation as part of a broad energy bill. However, the OPEC-suing provision was removed after White House opposition in order to get the underlying energy legislation signed into law.