Quantcast

$4/gas... coming this summer to a station near you...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
You're right and I've read your post before and you were right then. I was just ranting.

But explain how loss of airline jobs (what 30,000 this week?), people continuing to pile on the credit problem by having to pay $4 for gas, rising food cost due to corn based ethanol, one of those supposedly oil saving alternatives which actually reduces car fuel mileage, and a overall collapse of the general economy, all due to unregulated trading, can be GOOD for us?

dante, I'm seriously not arguing with you, you write like you have a very good knowledge of the subject, I am honestly looking for education/information.
that main problem is that no one knows what exactly is going on really..

that's why there is so much confusion.

Headline from CNNMoney:

Futures skyrocket $11 on a sliding dollar and a Morgan Stanley report predicting $150-a-barrel oil.

I mostly blame the Fed for dropping interest rates so freakin' low then spending billions bailing out banks for bad... very vey vey bad investments.

This is largely what's kicking the US Dollar's ass right now.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's good for us in that it's reducing us to a more sustainable level of consumption and growth, not just in environmental but in economic terms. if the airlines were 30k too bloated then their situation was unsustainable over the long term.

if the fundamentals are not there then growth should not be there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
it's good for us in that it's reducing us to a more sustainable level of consumption and growth, not just in environmental but in economic terms. if the airlines were 30k too bloated then their situation was unsustainable over the long term.

if the fundamentals are not there then growth should not be there.
you'll be ubber cool when the chinese are drivin' cars and we are on bikes stealin' 'letrix & wifi.

;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you'll be ubber cool when the chinese are drivin' cars and we are on bikes stealin' 'letrix & wifi.

;)
:busted:

really, tho: if the chinese work harder, are better educated, and do more productive work then why shouldn't they enjoy a standard of living superior to ours in the future?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
really, tho: if the chinese work harder, are better educated, and do more productive work then why shouldn't they enjoy a standard of living superior to ours in the future?
<PATRIOTIC AMERICAN RETARD>If God wanted the Chinese to have a superior standard of living, he would have made sure that they were born white in the USA!</PATRIOTIC AMERICAN RETARD>

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
:busted:

ironically, the only thing missing from their work ethic is ethics

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ironically, the only thing missing from their work ethic is ethics
true, but in theory the invisible hand should shift work to those who make quality products in an ethical manner, no? or do you think working unethically is cheaper in the long run, in which case it's the stance that all manufacturers should logically adopt?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
true, but in theory the invisible hand should shift work to those who make quality products in an ethical manner, no?
in theory, yes. but great resistance is found in human behavior
or do you think working unethically is cheaper in the long run, in which case it's the stance that all manufacturers should logically adopt?
if we can agree that america is the largest consumer:
- we are short-sighted, bitching about the same stuff over again
- from a business / bottom line point of view, yes, manufacturers should adopt this stance
- clairvoyance is greatly under-appreciated & undermined, making a splash only when a shadow of its former self

the grabbing hands grab all they can...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
So.... kids walk further and stay in better shape...

What's the downside?
apparently parent's protesting..?

Board members are scheduled to consider the policy revision today. How they vote might depend on public outcry. The board last changed walking distances in 1996, voting to extend the maximum high-school trek from 1.75 miles to two. Dozens of parents called school officials in protest.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And yet my bus pass is still $2.

It was cheaper to fill my truck, I noticed. Maybe I'll get to the mountain a few times this winter.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
2.09 and the other day i paid 1.98 w/.30 gallon off coupon at farm fresh fuel zone for the shopping i'd done there.
i just wonder how long it will stay there?
as you said, be cool if at least through the winter so i could make it to the shoe or 7 springs for some boarding.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Bumpity bump bump.

Anyone else looking forward to higher gas prices? Not just for business (bicycle sales skyrocket when gas prices go through the roof), but it has started becoming my favorite form of entertainment: Local news stations interviewing angry motorists filling up their SUV/whatever at the pump.

It's like the American consumer never learns. Ever. 2004 - Gasoline hit $3/gallon for the first time ever, and suddenly bike sales spiked and consumer demand for gasoline went down for the first time in decades. Gas prices fell, and everyone went back to their old ways... Then 2008 hit and gas hit $4.50, and people REALLY went nuts. You couldn't give away SUVs, brands like MINI sold out completely by the end of July (for the year), etc. Gas prices plummeted and people WENT BACK TO THEIR OLD WAYS. SUV sales spiked (again), small car sales plummeted (again), etc. Now we're back up to almost $4. There's wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I doubt news crews would even have to get new footage, they could just take their *old* footage from 2008 and replay it...

edit: Although they'd have to edit out all of the political signs in the background.
edit II: Whoa, embed link fail. Click the link for the video, the embedded one is about a murder or something...

Gas Prices Higher Than Ever - CBS News Video

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Bumpity bump bump.

Anyone else looking forward to higher gas prices? Not just for business (bicycle sales skyrocket when gas prices go through the roof), but it has started becoming my favorite form of entertainment: Local news stations interviewing angry motorists filling up their SUV/whatever at the pump.

It's like the American consumer never learns. Ever. 2004 - Gasoline hit $3/gallon for the first time ever, and suddenly bike sales spiked and consumer demand for gasoline went down for the first time in decades. Gas prices fell, and everyone went back to their old ways... Then 2008 hit and gas hit $4.50, and people REALLY went nuts. You couldn't give away SUVs, brands like MINI sold out completely by the end of July (for the year), etc. Gas prices plummeted and people WENT BACK TO THEIR OLD WAYS. SUV sales spiked (again), small car sales plummeted (again), etc. Now we're back up to almost $4. There's wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I doubt news crews would even have to get new footage, they could just take their *old* footage from 2008 and replay it...
I'm not surprised. The average American consumer is a dillhole.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm not surprised. The average American consumer is a dillhole.
:stupid:

I was pleading with the wife to go out and buy a prius during the whole Toyota floormat/gas pedal disaster-a-thon when we could have picked one up stupid cheap. But after doing the math it turns out gas would have to be like 9 dollars a gallon to make up for the fact that we would have picked up a car payment. No car payments > 48 mpg. Plus thats what the bicycles and the beemer are for. The fuel savings of the motorcycle over the jeep are making my motorcycle payment.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I usually fill up at the same station a half mile from my jobsite and a few weeks ago noticed as prices rose there were a lot more people at the pumps which seemed odd but then I remembered 2008's spike in prices and a paper I wrote in college about inflationary spirals.

Good thing I bought a truck a few weeks ago :think:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Regular is damn near $4/gallon out here on Long Island... and I'm totally fine with that. It's not going to bankrupt me, even on my comparatively meager resident's salary. (What may bankrupt is paying to heat our house, but even bankruptcy is only temporary :D)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Diesel is over $4 around here. I rode my bike today and will likely ride rain or shine the rest of this pay period so I can pay my registration. The weather this year is unusually cold, but is supposed to get into the 70's next week (only to go back to the 50's).

At least I will get into shape for beach season :D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Regular is damn near $4/gallon out here on Long Island... and I'm totally fine with that. It's not going to bankrupt me, even on my comparatively meager resident's salary. (What may bankrupt is paying to heat our house, but even bankruptcy is only temporary :D)
Exactly.
Even though my van gets horrible mileage, $0.50 more/gallon isn't going to break me. But then, I don't drive that much.

I still think its funny - I rode my bike to a friend's house to have a few beers (he broke his leg DH'ing) and my friends, who ride, couldn't believe it. They always have the same question "did you ride here?". Yes. "you're crazy!".

Funny stuff.