Quantcast

$4/gas... coming this summer to a station near you...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Yeah, the rich meat here is stringy, freakin’ skiers and climbers, you will never catch them in their sprinters or climbing the Grand. Now the tourists….fat and slow like Buffalo. Easy to harvest.
marbled with a French fry and Dr Pepper finish.

gonefirefightin

free wieners

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
And yet the US still has cheaper fuel that most non oil producing middle eastern countries.

Quick glance and sums and it's about $7.60 in the UK per US gallon.

That would be why most people don't drive house sized V8 SUV's/trucks in Europe etc.

edit: I'd guessed low on the exchange rate.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
And yet the US still has cheaper fuel that most non oil producing middle eastern countries.

Quick glance and sums and it's about $7.15 in the UK per US gallon.

That would be why most people don't drive house sized V8 SUV's/trucks in Europe etc.
5.60 in town for 91 octane this morning.
(converted from Canuckistani pesos to Freedom units by online calculator)

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I don't even look at the price anymore. I've gotta fill the tank regardless of price.

That said, the wife and I are rearranging our operation so that we have to drive less. Not so much because of fuel costs, but because fuck driving / commuting when you can walk...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I don't even look at the price anymore. I've gotta fill the tank regardless of price.

That said, the wife and I are rearranging our operation so that we have to drive less. Not so much because of fuel costs, but because fuck driving / commuting when you can walk...
Normally yes, but lately I watch the price as it is changing so often that I have been able to save +15c a gallon just by keeping my eyes open and crossing the street.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Normally yes, but lately I watch the price as it is changing so often that I have been able to save +15c a gallon just by keeping my eyes open and crossing the street.
Nope. Not gonna do it. It would just be another thing to raise my blood pressure.

Living in Germany ruined me on the whole commute thing. My commute in Germany was walking from one side of Duesseldorf Zoo-Park to the other. Along the way to work, I would stop at the bakery or the butcher. On the way home I could pop in to the Supermarket or the Dry Cleaning. All on foot. If I was in a rush, I'd ride my bike.

My 1.3 l VW Polo (great little high-compression solid valvetrain motor) spent the week parked in the company lot. On most Fridays I'd drive down to Rheingau with the doggos to hang with the wife. Monday morning I'd park the Polo again. Come to think of it, I never really looked at gas prices then, but I bet they were already more expensive than they are now in the US.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
$3.489/gallon of 85 octane at the local non-Costco just a few minutes ago. Convenience > 39 cents/gallon when I'll be in the car with the family headed up to the snowy mountains later tonight.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have a solid steady income, a roof over my head and all the food I can eat.

I won't worry about gas prices like some when I am worrying about friends in Ukraine right now.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It’s now over NZ$3/L here now for regular.
That’s >US$2.06/L or >US$7.8 a gallon.
Premium is ~10% more.

Good.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just hope this speeds the production of electric and better hybrid cars. Gimme!

Otherwise, I am relatively unconcerned about gas prices even if they go up $0.20. I sort of wish I had gotten a more efficient car, but I saved so much not buying an electric car that it more than makes up for the difference. Regardless, this will be transitory and things will change (for the worse or better) in a little while

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I probably drove more in the past week than I will the rest of the year as my work will remain hybrid for the known future and can walk to 99% of my other daily activities. The majority of my miles will actually be driving to trails of one form or another. Take that mother nature.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I am trying to figure out a plan to cycle commute more this year than ever before. I think I will have to drop the kid at daycare, come home, then take the bike to go out.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I probably drove more in the past week than I will the rest of the year as my work will remain hybrid for the known future and can walk to 99% of my other daily activities. The majority of my miles will actually be driving to trails of one form or another. Take that mother nature.
That is where the majority of my miles have gone in the last few years.
Hauling the bike to someplace that at least has something called trails.
Otherwise just the odd errand.