Quantcast

$4/gas... coming this summer to a station near you...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have two Charlotte/Atlanta/Carborro/Charlotte road trips this summer.

Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Oil is up again today... over $130/bbl
NEW YORK (AP) -- Oil prices are rising after a government report that the nation's supplies of crude oil, gasoline and heating oil were lower than expected last week.

The Energy Department report says crude oil inventories fell by more than 5 million barrels. Analysts had expected a modest increase. Gasoline inventories also fell, taking the market by surprise.

Light, sweet crude for July delivery is up $1.10 at $130.08 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Prices were modestly lower before the Energy Department issued its report.

Overnight, prices crossed $130 a barrel for the first time.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I saw the first gas station with $4.03 premium here locally last night..

amusing thing is that the next station had it at $3.85 and reg unleaded at $3.57.

But oil broke thru the $130/bbl point today...

better gas up ye olde suv before this afternoon..
Do you know how many times I've thought of this thread in the past few days.

When you posted it I thought "Yeah right, there goes Nate posting stupid crap again".

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Albertson's was $4.01 this morning and was $4.12 after lunch. I haven't looked at Chevron Premium yet, my guess is I am riding the bus tomorrow.

An $.11 jump in a single day is the worst I've noticed.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
At the local El Cheapo Gas Station
$4.08 Regular
$4.18 Plus
$4.28 Premium
$4.86 Diesel

And this is at the El Cheapo, I can't imagine how much it's gonna be at the Shell Station. Actually I can... +$0.30 more :( I better heal up so I can ride to work again.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
There is a tiny smart car in my town. It's sooo tiny. Wonder how they drive ?
A mountainbike would dwarf it on a roof rack ?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is a station downtown posting $4.09 Regular and $4.39 Premium. Every morning the news has a "Pump Watch" segment that shows the posted high/low for the day.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Local gas prices jumped 12 cents since 8 AM this morning as the holiday travel season kicks off...

Reg unleaded is $3.75/gal

:dead:
yesterday $3.65
today $3.79 (conocos are $3.91)

good thing i sold a pile of HP @ $48.48 last month :greedy:

edit: premium cannot be found under $4

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
will $4/gal be the breaking point for the avg consumer?

$40 for 10 gal's is getting steeeep...

Someone working for $10/hr has to work nearly 8 hrs to net enough for a half a tank of fuel.

Should be interesting what happens by the end of the summer...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i think we're already past the breaking point. the news has a story just about every night about another company going under because of fuel costs.
i'm counting down the days until all of my kids are out of school (8) so that we can stop driving all together. i've also converted my kids bike stroller to a grocery getter and if the PD starts restricting the take home car policy for TACT members, i'll be buying a friends '02 R6 to use as my commuter to work (40-50mpg).
i think i'm desensitized to the increasing prices though, i know it's going to get a lot worse so i just keep on keepin' on trying to figure out a more sustainable lifestyle for a family of 5.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wifes company requires her to use the family car (she does product marketing for store promotions). They still only pay her $.39/mile and rather than increasing the mileage, they just fired 20% of the area reps.

She decided to go back to a 9-5 that is bus friendly, she has an interview today.

My FZ1 averages 45mpg, but I only ride it 2-3 days a week. The bus is $3.50 round trip, but with premium up to $4, the bus looks better and better.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i like your thinking. there are many options out there more frugal yet, however:

the alternative personal transportation thread, and, yes, my electric bike

good stuff toshi...i wish i could realistically use it but the whole point of having a take home car is because i'm on call for critical incidents and i need to get to work quickly. i don't think the 20mph range would cut it, especially with all of my gear ;)

that is a friggin sweet ride you have, i'd definitely build something like that up if i lived in the city. :thumb:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
In other words, they have no f'ing idea...

:p

After several years where the government forecast an active hurricane season would impact the United States, only to see little or no activity, NOAA said its outlook this year indicates a 60 to 70 percent chance of its forecast occurring.