Quantcast

4 inches of fork travel and 360's

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
is it just me?

I can do 360's on a rigid bike but now have DJ 2 forks and the bob is too much.

If I try and compress the forks before take off I end up going over the bars, or not even coming close to getting the bike around.

can people 360 with this much travel?

down stairs and off jumps?

I also can't do wall rides off banks with these damm forks.

I only weigh 145 but the forks compress 3 inches easily just riding along, not jumping or anything.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you have 3 inches of sag then that's too much -- buy stiffer springs. However, if you have something like 1 inch of sag, but regularly use 3 inches of travel when bouncing around town then you should be ok, and only have your riding skills to blame for your 360lessness. :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
just sounds like you need to set the fork up properly for the type of riding you're doing...try raising the oil lever, or getting stiffer springs...you should also slow down the rebound some.....D

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I bought new springs to bring the forks down to 4 inches from 5.
when i bought them I told the bike shop guy I wanted stiffer springs and then asked if he did indeed order the stiffer ones.

he told me that the forks (DJ 2) come w/ the stiffest springs and that the new springs i just bought were the stiffest also.

I'm not sure if he's telling the truth, wouldn't be the first time a bike shop guy has strait up lied to me.

I know i saw a list of the springs and what color was the stiffest.

my springs are green.

no kar

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
portland oregon
the 03 dj's do come w the stiffest springs- thats what the marz guy said to me when i got my 03 dj3

im on a 00 p3, and i put in 1 inch spacers i made out of alum tubing to really knock it down to about 3.75 in travel. the extra set of top out springs are only 20mm tall, plus they compress alittle, so it didnt bring it down that much from the original 5"

also- make sure you have enough air pressure in the legs- this will stiffen them up quite a bit- i can barely activate my fork unless im standing on the pedals with all my wieght over them-

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by no kar
the 03 dj's do come w the stiffest springs- thats what the marz guy said to me when i got my 03 dj3

im on a 00 p3, and i put in 1 inch spacers i made out of alum tubing to really knock it down to about 3.75 in travel. the extra set of top out springs are only 20mm tall, plus they compress alittle, so it didnt bring it down that much from the original 5"

also- make sure you have enough air pressure in the legs- this will stiffen them up quite a bit- i can barely activate my fork unless im standing on the pedals with all my wieght over them-
where did you put the spacers? and how do i adjust the air pressure? it's just springs and oil.

no kar

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
portland oregon
i put the spacers(1 inch long pieces of alum tubing i cut) where the extra top out springs would normallly fit. it also increases the preload on the springs...

no kar

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
portland oregon
air pressure- add it by using a low vol air shock pump. the valve is under the black cap on top of each leg... i think the manual says 45psi for 155lbs(me)
but double check it... this is only on the 03 models though

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Pat,
Part of it is you and part of it is the bike.
You were, are and always will be a kick ass rider.
Way beter than I am or will be. I let the fear factor rule.
You remember when you were a dork and couldn't do anything.:D
Well now that you have had like a three year brake and are riding a bigger to you have to start fresh.
When you were a dork you had to find a bike that worked for you. Even if it was a peice of **** I'll bet you didn't see progression untill you finally found a bike that fit.
Your going to be angry and have to play around with stuff but you'll find what it is you need. In your heart you don't need to ask us what to do, only how the peices fit.
Dude I so miss our lunch time bike play and you making fun of my mountain bike.
Ha! Bill, I so feel like Bill right now. Working a job that I don't have a clue about, being behind on all my bills, never having any money even if I make more than I ever have, problems at home. Oooo **** I'm Bill!:eek:

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Dude we need to get out and go for a ride. Bitch at each other about our crappy jobs and what we need to do to change for the better and go back to our crappy rut on Monday with a game plan that may or maynot take shape.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
check your oil level. sounds like its waaaaaaaaaay under sprung. thats probably the problem. riding on new equipment takes some adjustment time. don't get frusterated and just stick with it.

how hard are you on wheels?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by amateur
check your oil level. sounds like its waaaaaaaaaay under sprung. thats probably the problem. riding on new equipment takes some adjustment time. don't get frusterated and just stick with it.

how hard are you on wheels?
i'll check the oil level, thanks.

wheels are my worst enemy....

mainly from casing jumps though. or landing 270 instead of 360....