Quantcast

4" of snow in my yard on Skyline Blvd

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Thats not much... I was at Peek n' Peak in southwest New York over the weekend, we got over a foot of fresh in like 12 hours. But any snow is good snow. Haha

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Are you using a pinkbike ruler to measure snow depth?

I can still see leaves on the ground and the shingles on your roof.

Four inches would be up to your puppys harbl.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
An AWD Subaru left abandoned because it was stuck with only 4" of snow:rofl:
Kind of what I was thinking...

But on the other hand, on the way home from snowboarding on Saturday we had to wait on the hwy for about 20 minutes while the road crew moved a subaru just like that out the way (slid off the road into the snowbank and totaled the ish out of the car). Luckily the snowbank was not too badly dented as it was mostly iced over.

Guess AWD doesn't really give you the ice rally skills like in the commercials?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
An AWD Subaru left abandoned because it was stuck with only 4" of snow:rofl:
It is funny, but I'm actually glad they left them where they are. You should see what happens when we it rains not to talk of snow! Driving skills over here are seriously lacking.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
With the 4" of snow the ice should not be a problem. Just stay on the snow and you are set. These people probably did not do that and drove right in each others tracks where the snow was gone and only ice remained.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
yup city folk that moved to the mountains and didn't bother to put mud and snow tires on their cars. they all had high performance street tires on em...slid right off the road...
Wait, are you saying local Bay Area drivers can't handle the snow?

I am hopping into my rear wheel drive Mustang GT 5.0 and dragging down Skyline tonite. See you soon!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
awd/4wd is awesome in the snow....ice is about tire choice....
A RWD BMW can own an AWD Subaru/Audi in the snow if it is outfitted with decent snow tires and the AWD cars have all-seasons or summer rubber.

People have this long held belief that AWD will own the snow no matter what (especially with their transverse engine faux AWD systems). AWD helps with acceleration and nothing else...90% of traction is from what tires you're using.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I knew this thread would be here. Eric, you are always on the ball when weird weather hits. I can't believe that is just a few miles from my house.

To those laughing at the stranded cars...Why the heck would we be running snow tires in a place where it snows once every three years?
That Tacoma is pretty funny, though.

The problem is that it has been raining since yesterday and the roads didn't dry out before they froze. The minimal snow isn't enough to keep the ice covered. Everybody went to work when it was just raining and discovered snow on their way home. If there were decent warnings these people would have known to stay off of those roads.:imstupid:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Kind of what I was thinking...

But on the other hand, on the way home from snowboarding on Saturday we had to wait on the hwy for about 20 minutes while the road crew moved a subaru just like that out the way (slid off the road into the snowbank and totaled the ish out of the car). Luckily the snowbank was not too badly dented as it was mostly iced over.

Guess AWD doesn't really give you the ice rally skills like in the commercials?
only thing scarier then soccer mom in suvs driving in the snow, is all the idiots in awd subies

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A RWD BMW can own an AWD Subaru/Audi in the snow if it is outfitted with decent snow tires and the AWD cars have all-seasons or summer rubber.
Are you serious? Apples to oranges. With tires being equal, the awd vehicle will do laps around a RWD car in the snow.

People have this long held belief that AWD will own the snow no matter what
True, you can't always believe the hype.

(especially with their transverse engine faux AWD systems).
Please explain, the technical differences between a true AWD system and the Subaru system. I'd love to see a reference from a mechanical engineering textbook:disgust1:

AWD helps with acceleration and nothing else...90% of traction is from what tires you're using.
Really, acceleration only? Please explain Audi's dominance of WRC immediately after the release of Quattro. At that point in time, Quattro was the primary difference between Audi and other cars racing (including Porsche). If I remember correctly, Audi won every WRC until Quattro was banned, with the few exceptions of the driver over-cooking turns (which is driver error). You can't be serious that AWD does nothing. Look at Group-B WRC, it's a mix of AWD and FWD (you will never see RWD because of physics: pushing the car vs pulling). Although it's an even mix, the AWD cars usually are the top performers. And last time I checked, you only start from a stop once in rally, at the start line. I don't think people are creating multiple minute gaps at the start line from acceleration alone.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Really, acceleration only? Please explain Audi's dominance of WRC immediately after the release of Quattro. At that point in time, Quattro was the primary difference between Audi and other cars racing (including Porsche). If I remember correctly, Audi won every WRC until Quattro was banned, with the few exceptions of the driver over-cooking turns (which is driver error). You can't be serious that AWD does nothing. Look at Group-B WRC, it's a mix of AWD and FWD (you will never see RWD because of physics: pushing the car vs pulling). Although it's an even mix, the AWD cars usually are the top performers. And last time I checked, you only start from a stop once in rally, at the start line. I don't think people are creating multiple minute gaps at the start line from acceleration alone.
You accelerate every time you push the gas pedal down, not just from a stop: coming out of a turn, uphill, passing...It is true that different AWD systems affect braking differently, but it can even be a detriment sometimes. People think that AWD or 4WD will keep their car from sliding sideways on a slippery surface (like off the side of an icy road). AWD does nothing in that instance. It's all tires.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
. People think that AWD or 4WD will keep their car from sliding sideways on a slippery surface (like off the side of an icy road).
It will if you don't lift :busted:

In truth, californians suck at driving in the snow. Any time I'm up to ski, I drive slower than a 80 year old man blind in one eye driving at night..... Unless there's no on one in the parking lot. Then I spin doughnuts all day :pirate2:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
People around the bay area freak out and forget how to drive the first time it rains during the year.

Snow is the end of the world for most idiots here.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Are you serious? Apples to oranges. With tires being equal, the awd vehicle will do laps around a RWD car in the snow.
Reading comprehension>you.

Please explain, the technical differences between a true AWD system and the Subaru system. I'd love to see a reference from a mechanical engineering textbook:disgust1:
Uh...Subaru DOES have a "true" AWD system ala the longitudinal boxer with a viscous center diff. I was more talking about the cars and car based SUVs that use transverse engines and Haldex or the like. I'm beginning to think you have no idea what you're talking about.

Most everyday drivers aren't going to throttle through snowpacked turns with their awd cars. To quote an asshat, "apples to oranges". Once more, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

just for fun: