Quantcast

4 Wednesday 4

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Welp.....I think I'm done with solo night rides for......forever.

I was riding the trails behind my house, and wound up on a trail I hadn't found yet, that was as far away as my house as you could get. I was following it (barely) until I wound up in a parking lot for the camp that owns the land. Knowing I had to head in the opposite direction, I start back up the trail on foot as I had to go over some downed trees to get to the lot. About 100 yards into the woods, for seemingly no reason, I decide to look up the hill and to the left, to see 2 pairs of eyes glowing, staring straight at me about 75 yards away. I kept the light on them, hoping to make out what they were, but couldn't. I turned my helmet a bit to shine not-so-directly at them, only to tell they are definitely not deer, and both the fuckers start slowly moving towards me.

I immediately shine my lights back towards them, stick my bike in front of me and nope the fuck out of there, walking backward all the way to the lot, and riding the rode home.

Fuck. that. noise.
We have 40lbs coywolves in the hood. The last one I saw on the trails wasn't worried about my presence at all.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
We have 40lbs coywolves in the hood. The last one I saw on the trails wasn't worried about my presence at all.
Had they just stayed there or ran off, it'd be NBD. The fact they were slowly walking towards me when not looking right at them is what freaked me out. Not sure what they were, but they were large enough I initially though they were deer, as I've seen them in there 2-3 times, but could tell they weren't. My guess is some type of cat, but I wasn't exactly in a curious mood to find out.

I should have prefaced the story with the fact I'm terrified of the dark to begin with, something I'll openly admit. But I have ridden solo at night easily 50+ times over the years and never been scared like that.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
We have a pretty healthy mtn lion population out here - in person sightings (including one by my wife in the vineyard), game cam pics and even neighborhood security cam footage have been relatively common this year!

Luckily there are plenty of other easier tastier prey in the forests and fields to keep them occupied.

That said, yeah, solo night rides are prolly out until the hunting bans get lifted or something.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had they just stayed there or ran off, it'd be NBD. The fact they were slowly walking towards me when not looking right at them is what freaked me out. Not sure what they were, but they were large enough I initially though they were deer, as I've seen them in there 2-3 times, but could tell they weren't. My guess is some type of cat, but I wasn't exactly in a curious mood to find out.

I should have prefaced the story with the fact I'm terrified of the dark to begin with, something I'll openly admit. But I have ridden solo at night easily 50+ times over the years and never been scared like that.
Chupacabra

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have seen two Mt Lions , One in the early morning booking up a hill from a watering hole while I was topping the climb on my Mt Bike and the other in my front driveway in the Santa Cruz Mts. It was right behind me as I took my bike off my roof rack. Damn glad I hade my 95 pound Bouvier in the yard with me. She charged past and put herself midway between me and the cat. She made damn sure the cat knew what type of a fight it was in for if it got closer. It backed off. Carry bear spray on night rides in the woods. works great on meth heads too

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have seen two Mt Lions , One in the early morning booking up a hill from a watering hole while I was topping the climb on my Mt Bike and the other in my front driveway in the Santa Cruz Mts. It was right behind me as I took my bike off my roof rack. Damn glad I hade my 95 pound Bouvier in the yard with me.
Dafuq is going on with that capitalization? You having a stroke?? :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My neighbors setup their grill by the street and served Hotdogs and Beans on paper plates. It was very neighborly. I donated $40 for the next time. The Fireman donated $50. The Cops donated Rolls and the Pizzas donated to them after the Hotdogs ran out. Adult beverages where had. I was polite and respectful. Watching the bats fly low over my roof now.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Not comfortable with Bats.
Counterpoint: Bats are more comfortable than the mosquitoes/bugs they consume...

But as a youth, we used to target shoot bats at dusk with shotguns in bumble-fucky 'Bama til I nearly Cheney'ed my cousin

#Batshaveeraticflightpatterns

As an old, I like to walk down to the River at dusk with my kids in Idahooze and drink a beer as bats come out and feed on insects.

#Lifeisaflatcircle

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
we go out in the cul de sac in front of our house in the summer and throw pebbles to see the bats dive. pretty sure the 10yo named them. bats are awesome. they eat mosquitoes. might build some houses for them next year.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
You might get me into a theater for this:

I've already been back twice, to watch Tenet x 2. It was good, just super confusing the first time through!

Will definitely rock Dune and Bond 25 in theaters amongst others.