Quantcast

40 vs. BoXXer WC

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I want to get either the new 40 RC2 or the new BoXXer WC. I'm light (about 130), so the BoXXer would offer easy air adjustability, and it's lighter. However, I may want to have a 7" fork, so the Fox would be better in that respect. It's also stiffer and probably has less maintainance. The fork will be going on a Demo 8. Has anyone ridden a Demo with a 40? I don't think the new BoXXer is available, but if anyone has ridden it, could you post any impressions at all?

Thanks

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bicyclist said:
I want to get either the new 40 RC2 or the new BoXXer WC. I'm light (about 130), so the BoXXer would offer easy air adjustability, and it's lighter. However, I may want to have a 7" fork, so the Fox would be better in that respect. It's also stiffer and probably has less maintainance. The fork will be going on a Demo 8. Has anyone ridden a Demo with a 40? I don't think the new BoXXer is available, but if anyone has ridden it, could you post any impressions at all?

Thanks
I actually rode the new boxxer (very briefly) last week. It is definetly light weight, and the air spring feels really nice. Didn't really get much mroe time on it then that, but it certainly does not feel like an old school air fork. Feels like a coil fork with a sort of silky stiction feel to it, hard to explain.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea i did the parking lot test on a new boxxer. feels nice. as does the 40. both were on iron horse Sunday's the boxxer felt shorter anyway (axle to crown)

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Ive ridden my friends demo with a 8" 40 on it and it felt nice and he had the HA pretty steepish like around 67 which felt spot on. I also touched a air boxxer and it felt silky smooth and will most likely be my next fork.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
ive had a couple runs on a 40 and its a pretty smooth action but i like it because of the robust exterior. i prefer boxxers to the 40 because the tuning is by oil and shims and i like the fork to be as active as possible. cant wait to try the new air boxxer so i can have air allaround.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i have riden a demo nine with a 40 and all i can say is sick setup. The boxer is cheaper though, but the fox products have proven then selves 100 of times over again. Lot of racers also ride the boxxer and the 40 so it is a hard decision all i know is that you get more ajustments on the 40 like going down to 7 inches of travel nad the 40 mm stanctions gives you this feel of dependable strength

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
fox 40 dampeners just have a wider range of adjustment, boxxers while light and plush can't hold a candle to the rebound/compression adjustablility on the 40.

can't wait to hear what the air boxxer weighs though...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think I may go for the BoXXer if it has a shorter-feeling axle to crown. Plus it's got motion control and the Maxle, so it's more adjustable and easier to use. For my weight, stiffness isn't much of an issue and plenty of 180 lb plus guys ride them hard with no problems.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hrm... after reading other threads it sounds like a lot of people are in the same boat as me. Fox needs to make an air 40 that's 6 pounds. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

EDIT: And they could put TALAS on it to make it compete with the Boxxer Ride, too.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Mark. The 40 feels amazing, I think you'd really like it. They come with really light springs so you probably won't need lighter ones ;)

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I rode a Demo 8 with a Fox40 for one day at whistler, without adoubt a great setup for that bike,
Its the best DH fork ive tried (comparing it to 03 Boxxer Race, 888RC, 66RC, 04 Boxer Team, Slider), super smooth, stiff and relatively light. If I had the money it would definately be at the top of my shopping list.

I dunno if youd want to put this fork to 7" on the demo8 since it already has a steepish head angle setting at 67.2deg.

yet i am very curious how the 06 boxxer WC compares

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You have to understand I'm used to a 70 degree head angle and I like super-steep head angles for cornering, and I ride over the front of the bike. Ususally people will slide their rear tires cornering, but I'm the opposite. I slide the front and find a rock or berm to smack into and hook up again.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
I'll take a 40 with the 36 damping system please...both those forks feel absolutely amazing. Leaps and bounds above every other fork I've ever ridden. Even my gf could tell the difference when she went for a spin on my imperial.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
julian_dh said:
ive had a couple runs on a 40 and its a pretty smooth action but i like it because of the robust exterior. i prefer boxxers to the 40 because the tuning is by oil and shims and i like the fork to be as active as possible. cant wait to try the new air boxxer so i can have air allaround.
Shims in a Boxxer :think:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yep. It's called the "Black Box high speed shim stack."

It seems to me like Boxxers are more finnicky than 40s are. They always have to has the seals lubed, ect. From what I've seen if you don't take good care of them they feel like complete and utter crap.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i would have to say get the 40 with the specialize demo, fox forks are design for specialize bikes. plus i rode one on the demo and i can't even begin to imagine what the bike would feel like without it

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
dhkid said:
aren't they just the same thing?
There's so many things in this thread that don't make sense. I took a few looks at it and I'm not even going to try.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
i have a new orange 224 frame w/ dhx and i really cant decide weather to get a 40 or an air boxxer. i wonder which would ride beter on this bike. i only weigh like 130 pounds.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm assuming you got an Orange because it's light, so you may as well stick with a BoXXer and keep it even lighter.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
just get anyone of them, they are both great and light unless weight is really a big issue, then go for the boxxer. otherwise just for the cheaper one. whatever you get, make sure you post a review of the bike soon. :thumb:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It'll be another few weeks, maybe more before I get the bike. I'll post a review when I do, though.

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
No comparison between 40 and 05 Boxxer WC. The 40 is way better.

I'd like to see the 40 against the 06 Boxxer WC, but Boxxers usually take one eayer to mature.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah your right my information was mixed up, specialize just has deals with fox, like many other companys, nothing different

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
If you decide by 40, you better wait for '06 one. Porbably it will have a reinforced arch wich used to broke in '05 ones. Both have excellent perfomance and feelig, but I'd prefer the much more tested Boxxer (even air first trying)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Have you heard about the snapping arches? That's been a big topic of discussion for a while. I'm still getting a 40 soon though. Now my only decision is whether to get the R or the RC2.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
caputo1989 said:
I think you will find the front of the demo like a noodle with a boxxer because the frame is so stiff.
:stosh: yeah, I'm sure at a buck-30 he's really going to need that extra (perceived) stiffness...

For your weight I'd recommend the boxxer first and the 40 a close second. You're probably right on the line for the standared (ti) spring on the 40, I'm 160 and the stock spring is perfect. if you're smooth and prefer a lighter feeling fork, you might have to swap out the ti spring for the (heavier) steel spring.