Quantcast

$400 for a hotel for Mt Snow

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
$50 for entry fees
$60 for an annual NORBA membership
who knows how much for gas, food and tolls...

crashing in your second practice run on the first day requiring a dozen stitches, 6 inside and 6 outside, and causing you to miss the race on sat?
Pricel...

uh, well actually about a thousand dollars b/c mt snow's "doctor's office" won't take health insurance directly leaving it up to you to pay upfront and then get reimbursed by the insurance co.

this blows, crashed on the waterfall secion, not going fast at all, just slid out on a wet rock, and landed hard on something rocky and pointy. Oh well, guess its just a part of racing.

Good luck to any of the Monkey's racing this weekend, I'll be there cheering you on from the sidelines with a nice cold bottle of... water, seeing as my antibiotics won't allow beer. Grrrrrrrr. :mumble:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
$50=Entry fee
$60=NORBA membership
$300=Doctor's bill
Spending the weekend racing with your friends=priceless! :thumb:

Get well soon!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
That sucks. I'm headed up in the morning. What is the Waterfall? Same as Ledges? Or is it where you corss the stream lower down? Hope you heal up well. Where'd you cut yourself?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
dante said:
steep smooth rock section. actually fell just above it, then proceeded to slide all the way down headfirst while the bike stayed above. ooops.
Gotcha. I've done that. You go over the first step, hit the steep rough section that drops you over the REALLY steep smooth section. I ripped the bb shell out of my DHS years ago.

So where'd you git cut?

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood!"

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Im scared. Im racing Jr x Dh, and Sport DS and im heading up tomorow for the first day. Im gunna be riding the DS course all morning, and then hopefully will get enough time in on the DH course to atleast clear yardsale. :dancing:

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Red Bull said:
Im scared. Im racing Jr x Dh, and Sport DS and im heading up tomorow for the first day. Im gunna be riding the DS course all morning, and then hopefully will get enough time in on the DH course to atleast clear yardsale. :dancing:
Oh, and to top that off a friend of mine said someone broke his back and another his hip in yardsale. :thumb:

I better not end up close to that. :mumble:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Red Bull said:
Oh, and to top that off a friend of mine said someone broke his back and another his hip in yardsale. :thumb:

I better not end up close to that. :mumble:
JHFC I'm getting sick of the Yardsale. Too many people get destoryed there. My brother broke his arm there in 2 places a few years ago.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Red Bull said:
Gotta race JrX DS too.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Acadian said:
sorry to hear bro...Where exactly did you need stitches?

get well soon...
left side, just above the hip bone/shorts. wasn't even a bad crash, just slid out quick w/o enough time to bail. thank god for the rest of the body armor, not even sore or scraped, just this gash.

overall the course is a BLAST to ride, the usual rough at the beginning, then a couple of obstacles (waterfall, something else I'm not sure the name of), then some high-speed grassy stuff before entering the usual lower woods section. plus its 99% dry (that 1% being that stupid rock I slid out on), so unlike last year its actually fun to ride.

good luck to the people who are heading up, Yardsale isn't that bad since its dry this year, just get your weight back when you get to the rocks at the bottom. :thumb:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
dante said:
crashing in your second practice run on the first day requiring a dozen stitches, 6 inside and 6 outside, and causing you to miss the race on sat?
Pricel...
Been there, done that. In the 2000 event. I lost it during practice in one of the open sections... hi-speed steps dropping into a mud field of ruts... Caught my pedal on my shin below the armor... 14 stitches...

Yep, the Mt Snow EM center doesn't take insurance, so I had to pay with a C-card. Fortunately, my insurance reimbursed most of it.

Raced at Mt Snow again in 2001. Had a good time at the condo we rented, but a really miserable time actually racing... despite it being dry that year... haven't gone back since. I'm used to tight, singletrack courses... the rough, hi-speed MX style stuff screws with my head. Plus, I know too many friends who've been hurt there. Simply put, I don't have big enough ballz to ride that course. :o:

Go get 'em next year!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
dante said:
$50 for entry fees
who knows how much for gas, food and tolls...

Pricel...

uh, well actually about a thousand dollars b/c mt snow's "doctor's office" won't take health insurance directly leaving it up to you to pay upfront and then get reimbursed by the insurance co.

this blows, crashed on the waterfall secion, not going fast at all, just slid out on a wet rock, and landed hard on something rocky and pointy. Oh well, guess its just a part of racing.

Good luck to any of the Monkey's racing this weekend, I'll be there cheering you on from the sidelines with a nice cold bottle of... water, seeing as my antibiotics won't allow beer. Grrrrrrrr. :mumble:
could have been worse with extensive bike damage

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Mt. Snow is also a bike killer.......snapped my frame there in 99 then crushed my rear shock to bits there in 2000. All the other years i put a half season of wear on my bike in 3 days.....

Having said that i wish i was there right now......its just not in the budget this year.....

Hope you heal quickly. I have taken some nasty hits there also.......

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
$45 for entry fees
-$160 (free bike voucher included w/NORBA membership so I can goto Cali/AZ in Feb)
$100 (gas, food, etc)

hanging, racing, & watching the pros.........priceless

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
leaving this afternoon to Vt from the Renegade camp. Will be on course Saturday morning at 8:30am sharp.

Dante, is the Nancy line around the Yardsale open? I damn sure hope it is.

Get well soon!!!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
i think everyone should have a First Aid set up like Snowshoe does.

they will fix your broken body (as long as it isn't anything worse than stiches) for FREE! that is what they're here for. the best part is that the MORE supplies they use and more people they help, their budget gets bigger for next year!

que chevere!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
AlmostHeaven said:

they will fix your broken body (as long as it isn't anything worse than stiches) for FREE! that is what they're here for. the best part is that the MORE supplies they use and more people they help, their budget gets bigger for next year!

que chevere!
cool setup. wasn't *too* pissed b/c they a) do have a doc on staff that can take care of you w/o having to drive to the local sh!thole emergency room in the middle of nowhere (cough cough, plattekill, cough cough), and b) I was the first person there, so it was 5 people doting on me the whole time. quite a change from the last time I was in an emergency room (Strong Memorial in Rochester), nurse checks to see how badly you're bleeding before giving you some gauze and asks you to wait in the waiting room for an hour.

yup there's still the "nancy" line around the yardsale, but it is pretty rutted out, probably from everyone having to go down it last year. took that line after I crashed, thinking back it would've been cooler to rip straight down the middle of yardsale trailing blood the whole way. :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have a free place to stay and am still tossing around in my head jumping in the car and going up today. 13hour drive solo in a 4 cylinder car. Practice for 2 hours tommorrow and practice for 1 hour on Sunday...then race.

Anybody think of a good reason for me to go?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
AlmostHeaven said:

que chevere!

Free, my a$$. I paid $500 to get out of there. It will be taken care of by my insurance but I still had to pay with a credit card.

That said, the doctor up there took great care of me and put 7 stitches in my hand after a high speed ride over the bars a week ago. It was worth the cash to get fixxed up quickly.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ChrisKring said:
Free, my a$$. I paid $500 to get out of there. It will be taken care of by my insurance but I still had to pay with a credit card.

That said, the doctor up there took great care of me and put 7 stitches in my hand after a high speed ride over the bars a week ago. It was worth the cash to get fixxed up quickly.
keep a close eye on it. you can get a serious case of Staf Infection from the mud there. A good friend and DH'er died from a staf infection he got there that he fought for many weeks. Many other monkeys on here have documented that they have gotten staf infection from cuts at Snowshoe as well.
I am serious. And to the guy at the bike wash who laughed his ass off after I told him the same thing, count the number of teeth in your mouth and know that the guy next to me kept me from reducing that number greatly.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bizutch said:
keep a close eye on it. you can get a serious case of Staf Infection from the mud there. A good friend and DH'er died from a staf infection he got there that he fought for many weeks. Many other monkeys on here have documented that they have gotten staf infection from cuts at Snowshoe as well.
I am serious. And to the guy at the bike wash who laughed his ass off after I told him the same thing, count the number of teeth in your mouth and know that the guy next to me kept me from reducing that number greatly.
Thanks for the warning. I heard about the guy that died a couple of years ago. Honestly, I was thinking of that while I pushed my bike back up to Westridge road to get picked up in the van. That's why I wanted to get it flushed out ASAP.

They gave me anti-biotics and a tetnous shot. My doctor looked at it again today and though it looked good. I will be watching for red streaks around the wound.

Were you with Doug at Snowshoe?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ChrisKring said:
Thanks for the warning. I heard about the guy that died a couple of years ago. Honestly, I was thinking of that while I pushed my bike back up to Westridge road to get picked up in the van. That's why I wanted to get it flushed out ASAP.

They gave me anti-biotics and a tetnous shot. My doctor looked at it again today and though it looked good. I will be watching for red streaks around the wound.

Were you with Doug at Snowshoe?
at different times, mostly if I was stopping at the Morewood tent.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
ChrisKring said:

slow down there killer, did i say First-Aid or CLINIC?

there is quite a difference.

check the signature, it could help you out tremendously.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
AlmostHeaven said:

AlmostHeaven said:

My stiches cost $500 from the clinic. First Aid would not treat a wound like I had. They just transported me to the top and looked at it. Then they said they couldn't handle anything other than stabilizing for transport but the clinic could handle it.

Re-read your own signature or write more clearly. :)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
AlmostHeaven said:

relax, you said as long as its not worse than stitches... he got stitches, and had to pay $500. I'd be really surprised that First Aid would be able to do stitches, or rather, I'd rather trust a real doc to be doing the stitches rather than a First Aid person.

In other news, here's pics (I know you were all waiting for them... :D )