Quantcast

40hr work week?

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
40-45 hours here. I only really ever have 20 hours of work to do, but I stretch it out to 40-42 hours. I like to call it "time management". Work doesn't care if I work OT as long as its not more than 3-4 hours every week. Unless its really busy and more needs to be done, they don't care what I do.

I have brought home work twice in the two years I have been here. Any other time I made sure I got the work done at work so I didn't have to take it home. If that means coming in 2 hours early thats what I did.

Work is only work. Once I walk out the door I don't even think about work.

Im a design engineer for a Point of Purchase display company.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I have brought home work twice in the two years I have been here. Any other time I made sure I got the work done at work so I didn't have to take it home. If that means coming in 2 hours early thats what I did.

Work is only work. Once I walk out the door I don't even think about work.
Preach on! Work is just a means to pay the bills, I don't like to mingle it with my home/personal life. Occasionally I work weekend/evening special events, but I get paid extra to do that and its usually my choice. Otherwise it's 40hrs and I'm out of here. Actually, its 38 hrs per week because I get paid to exercise 2 hrs/week! :brows: Gotta love employee wellness programs. Working at a University is cool.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I take work home with me ALL THE TIME. I get emotionally wrapped up in what I do and I'll wake up in the middle of the night worrying about stuff that's going to happen the next day.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I take work home with me ALL THE TIME. I get emotionally wrapped up in what I do and I'll wake up in the middle of the night worrying about stuff that's going to happen the next day.
A good councilor can help you straighten out your priorities and enjoy your "real" life more.:crazy:

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Thats gotta get tiring, in every way.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
A good councilor can help you straighten out your priorities and enjoy your "real" life more.:crazy:
Well I care about the company I work for. I'm in a position that requires a lot of time to learn and I'm getting great on the job training with MAJOR responsibility . I love what I do but I put my heart into it so I worry if something goes wrong.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Well I care about the company I work for. I'm in a position that requires a lot of time to learn and I'm getting great on the job training with MAJOR responsibility . I love what I do but I put my heart into it so I worry if something goes wrong.
Well....that's nice and all, but you obviously know something is wrong with the way you are thinking, or else you wouldn't have asked a bunch of people you already know will do anything to get out of work to go ride a bike.

Nobody I know ever said they wished they had spent more time at work.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Well....that's nice and all, but you obviously know something is wrong with the way you are thinking, or else you wouldn't have asked a bunch of people you already know will do anything to get out of work to go ride a bike.

Nobody I know ever said they wished they had spent more time at work.
Ha, I'm just trying to figure out what other people's jobs are like. The beginning of my downfall was getting a company phone.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Ha, I'm just trying to figure out what other people's jobs are like. The beginning of my downfall was getting a company phone.
I might have missed it, but what do you do? Is there anyway to cut back so you're not losing sleep over it?

You cant worry about tomorrow, it will be there when you wake up. My wife is bad at leaving work at work. She will lay awake at night thinking about stuff like that. Then when she wakes up the next morning with almost no sleep, not only do you have to tackle the things you were thinking about, but you are now feeling crappy because of no sleep.

Stressful jobs can be OK as long as you know how to cope with it outside of work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My new job offer has a clause in it for "no more than 40 hours per week for any employee" as well as 2 days a month telecommute to start with.

That's awesome

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
50 Hours a week on average here.

However, unlike many that I work with, I have avoided the need for a work provided blackberry.

I have my own that I use for my schedule and email, but going to a work provided blackberry means that I carry my work with me everywhere.

I can't do that. It's bad enough as it is..

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
16 to 20 hours average, two days a week. Sometime I hit 30 when I have extra contracts.

Rest of the time is spent enjoying life.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I work 12 days and then get 6 off. However the 12 im on, im on call 24 hours a day. Most hours ive worked in a 7 day period was 112. If were busy i put in usually over 80 hours a week. Worst job i was on-site for 40 hours continuously, with only one hour of sleep in my pick up truck. Im salaried but earn job bonus. Life is grand in the oil field. The pay is good but i try not to look at what it would come out to hourly.

However on my 6 days off the last thing i think about is work. Add on a couple vacation days and you get a week off every couple of weeks.

matt

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
depends on the season...but right now I probably work about 25hrs a week and then another 8 hrs a week at home...life is good...D

L

luelling

I'm a govy, straight 40 hrs. It can actually get annoying, when my users are having problems and I'm trying my hardest to correct the problem they force me out the door. At points like this the work goes home with, because I think about. I would rather stay the extra hour or two and finish the job and not have a care in the world when I go home.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Maximum 32 hours a week.
One of my students works usually 8am to midnight and then 7 or 8 hours a day on weekends. More often or not he goes back to work after coming to class (starts 8.15pm). On his rare days off he attends "seminars". Unsurprisingly the Japanese have a word for "death by overwork".

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
It's hard to figure out hours for me. Mostly 2 days a week during the spring/summer/fall. Every once in a while 1 and sometimes 3. Maybe 2 days a month Nov-Feb

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I work 40, but I bring stuff home to research. 40 hours f'in rules! So much better than 80+.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I'm still at work... 11:15pm California time. Started at 7am.

I've got to leave my house by 6am tomorrow for morning meetings, and my last meeting doesn't end till 8pm.

And I've got a major deadline for Friday, which is why I'm still here.

Otherwise I generally work about 45hrs a week. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's not.
A while back I decided to hold myself to only 40 hour a week. I still haven't gotten the built up clutter out of my office.

Oh, and if I take a week vacation, I work 20 extra hours the week before, and 20 extra when I get back.

Small companies both rule and suck. I get paid pretty well now, but we've been discussing moving in a different direction that will hopefully pay off hand-over-fist compared to now.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It's hard to figure out hours for me. Mostly 2 days a week during the spring/summer/fall. Every once in a while 1 and sometimes 3. Maybe 2 days a month Nov-Feb
is that time just shooting, or does it also count screen time w/ photoshop?

i usually work about 40-45 hr/week. a few years ago i logged 50 hr routinely, sometimes 60. and when i took the assignment in ireland, that was 50+ hr/week too, for over a year. i got burnt out, and realized that it wasn't all worth it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
is that time just shooting, or does it also count screen time w/ photoshop?

i usually work about 40-45 hr/week. a few years ago i logged 50 hr routinely, sometimes 60. and when i took the assignment in ireland, that was 50+ hr/week too, for over a year. i got burnt out, and realized that it wasn't all worth it.
Yeah is he counting the time photographing the ladies dog pooping on his lawn as well?