Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Yep. It's a bit lighter. Saves on rotational weight. I know alot of people say its a lame idea as its easier to pinch or puncture. However I have had very good luck with the setup. I have run 16" tubes in my BMX bike for years. When I started riding mtb 2 1/2 years I slapped 24's in it right away. In 2.5 years I have NEVER had a flat. Consider it lucky or not. I have a theory on how they work better, but I won't go into detail.

-Kevin
thats not a bad idea. any idea how much weight?

Mitch_M

Chimp
Aug 21, 2007
Hey Guys Here is my Socom, I will have a weight shortly but I'm guessing its under 40lbs.

Here's the specs:

Frame: Intense Socom medium in Java (custom colour)
Fork: Marzocchi 66RC2X 180mm
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0
Shifter: Sram X.0 with Nokon Cable and a Match Maker
Derailleur: Sram X.0 20th anniversary edition
Cassette: Sram PG970 11-23
Chian: Sram PG990
Chainring: e.thirteen 38 tooth
Chain Guide: e.thirteen LG1 with taco
Crankset: Shimano Hone 170mm
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Hone
Pedals: Shimano DX
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 Carbon with Fibrax Braided Hoses
Grips: ODI Intense Lock-on
Bars: Race Face Atlas
Stem: Race Face Diabolus
Headset: Cane Creek Double X
Seatpost: Race Face Atlas
Seat:Fi'zi:K Free:k
Hubs: Dt Swiss 340
Rims: Mavic 721
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
Nipples: DT Swiss Brass Pro-Lock
Tyres: Intense 909 FRO 2ply DC 2.35
Tubes: light ones

I have a few upgrades I would love to do If I ever come across a heap of money, they are a matching rear rotor, Boxxer World Cups or even White Brothers Grove Races (just to give triples a go) Sunline components (Bars and Stem), a lighter saddle, ti spring, Gamut Chainguide, lighter tyres/tubes and heaps to ti bolts, but I'm happy with how it is at the moment, plus I don't want it floating away on me:p

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Nice. Can't fault your upgrade list, but the one thing that currently screams 'out of place' to me is the stem...

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
nice socom !i think your right about the weight guess just under 40.i would change some of your parts to get the full weight weenie effect of having a socom.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
that SOCOM is a pretty nice ride, but to echo davep: the first thing that really jumped out was the stem. but hey, who cares...i mean as long as you like it and it works.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I like this Socom, I'm building an '08 very similar.

My Build will be as such:
Azonic Outlaw Hubs laced to EX823 Black Hubs/Rims - Silver Spokes,Nipples
Crankbrothers Mallet C Clipless
e.13 104mm BCD 4 Bolt 38t Chain Ring
e.13 LG1 Chain Guide w/ Taco Bash
FSA Carbon Headset Spacers
FSA Moto X 165mm Cranks
Hope QR Seat Clamp 34.9mm
Hope V2 Moto Brakes Front & Rear - Non Vented Rotors
Intense 2008 Socom Frame - Large
Marzocchi 2008 888 ATA WC
Marzocchi 450lb ti Spring
Marzocchi Roco World Cup 9.5x3.0 - PUSH Tuned
Maxxis Minion DHF - 26x2.5 3c RearTire
Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.7 ST 3c Front Tire
SDG 31.6 I beam Seat Post
SDG I Fly C I Beam Seat - White
SRAM PC-950 Chain
SRAM PG-970 Road Cassette 12-23t
SRAM x.0 Short Derailleur
SRAM x.0 Trigger Shifter - Rear Only
Sunline V-One Reducer Headset
Sunline Logo Lock on Grips - thin
Sunline V-Two OS Bar 50mm Rise
THE White Fender Shroud

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Marz and Socom always seemed like a wacky idea for me. If you go for the weight you should go for it 100% and take a Boxxer.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Marz and Socom always seemed like a wacky idea for me. If you go for the weight you should go for it 100% and take a Boxxer.
I am going for the weight. The new 888 ATA WC weighs 6.41lbs.
I think that's light enough. I like the look of the 888 better than the Boxxer. The Boxxer may be lighter, But the 888 looks better IMO.
Plus my Team is sponsored by Marzocchi too. :)

I estimate, based on weights on the parts found online (sicklines, Mavic, Intense, Etc) that it will weigh about 38.5lbs Complete or so. It will be about 5-6lbs lighter than my 303. I know the head angle is steeper at 66.5 degrees, but I think it should be ok for me. I will run the crowns at the very top of the Stanchions (sp?). I am hoping it will be close to 66 degrees.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hm 6.41 looks ok and ur being sponsored so that's another thing. Btw. Is it true weight or marz weight? ;)

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
I have an 07 888 SL and a Boxxer WC. Difference in weight is only 6oz. Here's pics on my postal scale. The second number is 10th of a pound not ounces. Goofy Royal postal scale. Works out to 6lbs 3oz on the Boxxer and 6lbs 9oz on the 888. My guess would be that the 2008 888wc will be lighter. So Marzocchi's numbers sound right.

The forks were both weighed with crowns but no stems. The 888 actually had a 1.5 reducing crown race and a Disc adapter on it when weighed. The Boxxer did not.

I'm with Billy, the 888 looks better and IMO the damping is as good if not better then the Boxxer. Fortunately for me, I seem to be one of the few people that has no problem getting full travel out of my 888, totally stock.

Billy, I get 65 HA on my Socom with the 888 & a full cup headset. You'll have no problem getting your head angle even if you run a flush HS. This of course assumes they don't change the AC height for 08.:cheers:

Attachments

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
ted, sorry i couldn't ride today, i have some invitational thing for XC so i couldn't miss practice today. maybe we ride tomorrow? also, i want to talk to you a little more about the sx. i love the look, i hated the paint when i saw it online, but loved it in person. pm, call, or text me, maybe we ride tomorrow? skatepark would be good too, i haven't been there for a few weeks.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I want to play!

Specs:
small sunday team
sunline headset
sunline integrated stem
sunline bars
sunline grips
boxxer team
dhx5 w/ 325# rcs ti coil
shimano saint brakes (7 front, 6 rear)
deemax wheels
minion dh-f ust 2.5 front and rear
x7 shifer / x9 (shortcage)
srs guide
gravity megaexo cranks / megaexo bb
wellgo magnesium pedals
thompson post
sette italia saddle
sram pg951 chain
sram pg950 cassette
-------------------------------
40lbs, 11oz

How's that for just barely squeezing in under 41! A lighter post/seat will help followed by some gravity lights and I am done as can be (hoping to drop sub-39 after those). Amazingly enough, the whole bike weighed in at 33lbs before the tires and front rotor went on. I didn't expect the weight increase to be 7 pounds!

I got my hands on gravity lights and the bike now tips the scale at 38lbs, 10oz. I am happy and done (until it comes time to swap the wheelset out (hope proII laced to 721s w/ghetto tubeless) :P )

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
I know this blog has just about played out, but this has got to be the weight weenie of the year (this is a full-build 8.5" DH rig):

Morewood Izimu DH Frame
Boxxer WC
Fox DHX 5 Air shock
I9 Hubs and Spokes on Mavic Deemax rims
X.0 Derr and shifters
Truvativ Cranks
Maxxis Minion Tubeless
Crank Bros Mallets
Formula ORO K24 Brakes

Total Weight 36lbs14oz!!

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
There is my ride...

From chile

Giant Dh comp 05
Fox Dhx 5.0
Saint Brakes
Boxxer Race 07
Race Face Diabolous
Easton
Ringlé
Sunnline
Funn

It's about 20 kg.-

I painted it at my father's job

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Got her down to 39.3 lbs from the original 40.2 w/ the addition of a ti spring and lighter pedals (Atomlab Aircorps to Wellgo Mg-1's).
Next I'm ditching the Saint/XT brake combo for the new Mag Codes and trying out some Mitchies tubeless. We'll see where how she tips the scales after, I'm guessing somewhere really close to current weight, but who knows.

Attachments

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
although the Foes is technically a single pivot bike, theyve always used what they call a "swing link". and they obviously have a better linkage ratio....but that bike is pretty damn close looking without seeing the whole frame
Foes swing link doesnt change the ratio, i am assuming your talking about the DHS swing link. Is not disregarg what i am saying, but if so, then understand, the Sole purpose of teh swing link is lateral stiffness, thats all.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Since i Retired teh KHS, guess i should Post my new ride. Transition Dirtbag, Spec list. DB Rockers Romic shock, Juicy 7's E13 Drs, Singletrack SL1 wheels on XT hubes, 07 66. RF Prodigy cranks, seatpost. RF diabolus stem and bars, ODI Rogues. Full X9 drivetrain, SHimano DX pedals, slimjim seat. Weighed in right at 39.2 lbs on teh shops Digital scale.

Stem in pics is still the easton i had, and still had the x7 rear when i first built it, also i hadnt cut teh steerer yet either, so yes its about an inch cut off from the pics

Oh yeah, Stans notubes kit
Here pics

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
They were already on the bike when I got it, Cant really say there lighter, but damn they are ALOT smoother ride than the stock rockers, better tracking better feel everything. Love them, Ill see if i can find a link for them

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
the pimpship weighs in at 43.3 with a Ti spring. not bad for a 13 pound frame (i think without shock)

i shaved weight with a carbon post, LG1 with no bash, dual Ti springs and a tubeless setup with industry 9 wheels on mavic 823s

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
You sure 13lb with no shock?? I thought my new Blindside was heavy at 11.37lb with the DHX 5.0. Think I can keep her at 41-42lbs no carbon??