Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I made some changes to my Yakuza. I decided to get a new rockshox boxxer team in favor of my fox 40 mostly cause I need something new and I like motion control! Also new is the sunline direct mount stem and grips. I might later sell my fox 40 to get a ditch my custom swinger 4 way for a cane creek double barrel! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I haven't weighed it officially but it is probably around 38-39 with single ply tires and xc tubes and around 42 with thicker tubes and dual ply tires.

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Here is the Build:

Frame: Small Intense Socom with Custom Decals
Fork: Marzocchi 888 WC ATA with direct stem
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 with 300lbs TI spring
Handlebar: Answer Pro Taper low rise
Seatpost: Thompson Elite
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR (198 grams)
Pedals: Shimano PD M646
Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger
Chainguide: E13 LG1 36t
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
Brakes: Magura Gustav Levers / Louise FR Calipers 210 F & 190 R
Cassette: Shimano DuraAce 11-25, 9 speed
Cranks: Truvativ, Hollzfeller 36T with Howitzer BB
Rims: Mavic EX 823
Hubs: Industry Nine
Spokes: Industry Nine
Tires: 2.5 Michelin DH24 (Tubeless)
Grips: Odi Ruffian lock ons

38 lbs

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Here is the Build:

Frame: Small Intense Socom with Custom Decals
Fork: Marzocchi 888 WC ATA with direct stem
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 with 300lbs TI spring
Handlebar: Answer Pro Taper low rise
Seatpost: Thompson Elite
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR (198 grams)
Pedals: Shimano PD M646
Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger
Chainguide: E13 LG1 36t
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
Brakes: Magura Gustav Levers / Louise FR Calipers 210 F & 190 R
Cassette: Shimano DuraAce 11-25, 9 speed
Cranks: Truvativ, Hollzfeller 36T with Howitzer BB
Rims: Mavic EX 823
Hubs: Industry Nine
Spokes: Industry Nine
Tires: 2.5 Michelin DH24 (Tubeless)
Grips: Odi Ruffian lock ons

38 lbs

I'd definately like to see that socom in some better pics.
Nice build!

schwinnstr8

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
East Los
Shes weights in at about 39-40lbs

SPECS:
CK HEAQDSET
888 WORKS W' RISSE CROWNS
FOX DHX 5.0 W/ TI SPRING
HAYES STROKERS 8" (WHITE)
DIABOLUS:STEM, BARS AND CRANKS
ODI RUFFIANS (WHITE)
EASTON CNT SEAT POST
WTB SADDLE
NYC PEDALS
X.O RD
X.7 SHIFTER
INDUSTRY NINE HUBS/SPOKES LACED TO MAVIC 823's
E.13 LG-1 CHAINGUIDE
MAXXIS MINION 2.5 TIRES

Shes weights in at about 39-40lbs
I think i got everything...let me know what you think.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have my Socom at about 37-38 now. Ive been thinking about a new fork but my 07 66 only has about 10 rides on it.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks, have Stans ZTR rims on order waiting to see what 09' has in terms of forks. Could be time to retire the trusty Dorado.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Singleply 2.35? Is it a dh or a trail bike? Like the rest of the speck anyways. The stans flows with tubeless minion/hr are running great, should be a bunch more reliable setup, and despite the weight- the flows are probably harder to dent!

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Singleply 2.35? Is it a dh or a trail bike? Like the rest of the speck anyways. The stans flows with tubeless minion/hr are running great, should be a bunch more reliable setup, and despite the weight- the flows are probably harder to dent!
Riding in Ontario you can get away with single-ply, I have 2-ply tires whenever I'm out of province. We just don't have the rocks and after some injuries last year, our hill has had to modify and lose some of the stunts/features/whatever you want to call them. Its more of a dh trail now.

And for jefedel, there are really only two places to drop major weight, the wheels and the front fork. Could drop almost a pound and a half by moving to a Boxxer WC.

To the Norco above, that bike is awesome.

rowlands

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
how are those flow rims, I have been toying with the idea of running them but there weight kinda scares me... Im not a rim eater i can get away with single tracks but I dont want to waste my money if they wont last. I weigh 200lbs if that makes a difference.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
If you get away with single tracks you will be fine. Make use of the weight savings and set them up tubeless too- I'm using the yellow rim tapes and 2.3 hr rear and 2.5 minion front, my wheels feel like all mountain wheels but are more than dh capable.

The flow rim runs a very low profile sidewall, there isn't much material to dent. Its seems to be a lot more protected.

Quite a few runs of that, and the stuff around here, and I have one small dent that has no effect on the rim. I'm no smooth or little girly man, but I am a mechanic and look after my gear.
PS- I know the amour ain't cool and all, but can you blame me wearing it through that ****! :)

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Fair enough, whats the weight with dh tyres? :)
To be honest I'm not sure. Built up the bike this winter and haven't even had a chance to ride it in anger yet. Our hill opens this weekend. I'll throw the tires on and see the weight when I get a chance. Figure it'll add a pound at least.

Your running 2.5 2-ply right?
Simply awesome you have that weight with those tires.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Your most likely right (lurker for long time, you seem to know a thing or two)...........crossing the fingers it won't be that bad.
Most singleplys come in around the 800g mark most DHs start 1200g + some are as low as 1100 (or so they claim +/- 40g but usually a fair bit heavier).
So if your 800 on a 2.35 and go to a DH at 1100thats 300g alone and the bigger the tire the greater the increase is from single ply to dual.

My Jedi with Kendas DH casings 2.35 rear and 2.5 front (nevegals) sits 37.8lbs now. Its 36.2 with singles (2.35/2.5 combo) and those arent the lightest singles out.