Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think I've seen it somewhere ;) Wondered where you'd show up on RM. Was quite stoked with the weight of the setup but with the kind of parts you use I'd eventualy try to get a lighter frame. Any plans for that? ;)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Bet you did ;)
The plan is to get complete Glory DH 2010 in the end of this year and rebuild it with the parts I have. Roumors say new frame is 2,5lbs lighter than the current one! :O

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
To put it short. We met on line , was a perfect match and now I can't stay off her. Ohhh yeah, she's a lady in the pic but a freak in the woods!

So how much does she weight ?
def. looks... slim :-)
And how do you like those tires? can you compare them to minions or highrollers?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
That's it, TomBo... it's a piece of clear 5mm polycarbonate. Oryginal conversion kit costs 55usd and it's not available in Poland. So I bought piece of plastic for 2 bucks and I cut it :) It has been working perfectly for a year :)

zidoj

Chimp
Nov 2, 2008
Charlotte/ Myers Park
So how much does she weight ?
def. looks... slim :-)
And how do you like those tires? can you compare them to minions or highrollers?
I never weighed her but she's light, around 38-40lbs. I really don't care exactly how much the weight is:nopity:, just so I can move the bike around well.
I would say the Ardents are very close to the Minions but not as fast as the Highroller. I will try the Swampthings on DT 5.1 rims for my main race tire and rim this year at Snow Shoe.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
My new ride. Finally got a little more time on it in the slop. Still have only a few hours ride time on it on a fast, non technical trail.

37.4lbs in these two picture

41.5lbs in the next two.

Jedi w/CCDB
2009 Boxxer Team
CC110 headset
Thomson X4, Sunline 29.5 bars, Sunline grips
Avid Elixir CR 180R (formula adapter) / 203F
Saint shifter, XT "mid cage" shadow der.
RF Atlas 165mm cranks
Gamut bash/partial e.13 guide
Wellgo MG1 pedals
SDG I beam micro/old Bel Air ST(lighter than the current SL by 20g)
Woodmann Death Grip SL Ti post clamp(11g for the 34.9mm clamp!)

Race wheelset
WTB hubs, butted spokes, alloy nipples, EX823 rims, Minion DHF/DHR UST, Ultegra 12-19t 5spd cassette, KMC X9SL chain, Alligator serrated rotors.

Standard wheelset
Hadley hubs 32h laced to SAS rims, Michelin 2.5/2.8, DH tubes, XT Cassette/chain, Formula/Avid G3 rotor.

Some time in the future a ti spring, custom chain guide, Thomson integrated stem(when it comes out,if ever), maybe a new boxxer in 2011 or 12 once all the quirks are worked out. Should drop to 36.5ish or 36> if I get a WC instead of Team.

Last edited:

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
Just thought I would throw up a few pics of my Demo 8 after a few upgrades. I got this bike in late October and like it just as much as my demo 7. I bought it and changed it quite a bit right away. Currently 39.7#. Looking for your guys opinions on how to lighten it up a bit so when I put dualply tires back on it is still light. I have XT cranks on the way and am looking at a ti coil.

Medium Demo 8
Boxxer WC
CC Double Barrel
Twenty6 DM stem
Sunline Bars
Elixir Rs 203f 185r
X-7 shifter
Specialized Seatpost
SDG Ti Fly
X-9 derailluer
Ultegra 12-27
Hope Pro II on 823
Pecialized SX Chunder 2.3
Rawed Holzfeller cranks
5050XX

Sorry a little blurry

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Just thought I would throw up a few pics of my Demo 8 after a few upgrades. I got this bike in late October and like it just as much as my demo 7. I bought it and changed it quite a bit right away. Currently 39.7#. Looking for your guys opinions on how to lighten it up a bit so when I put dualply tires back on it is still light. I have XT cranks on the way and am looking at a ti coil.

Medium Demo 8
Boxxer WC
CC Double Barrel --> Ti spring
Twenty6 DM stem
Sunline Bars
Elixir Rs 203f 185r -->Formula adaptor for 180r(-20g) and Hope 203f(-15g) +ti hardware(-25g), alligator rotors-(35gF/40gR)
X-7 shifter
Specialized Seatpost -->I beam micro
SDG Ti Fly -->Ifly saddle
X-9 derailluer
Ultegra 12-27
Hope Pro II on 823
Pecialized SX Chunder 2.3 -->tubeless?
Rawed Holzfeller cranks
5050XX -->anything else, those bitches are chunky.
Realistically though you won't be able to compensate for the dual ply tires weight gain, unless you consider UST Minions or something. I nit picked the **** out of my bike to reduce the weight while still trying to keep it durable but in the end you WILL NOT notice 1/2lb +/- unless you are talking outer wheel weight like tires. That said, it does feel good knowing you made your bike lighter, but that is all it is, a mental game.

Edit: For me it is a mental game and an obsession to get bling Sh1t on my bike. Bling = teh awesum
P.S. Nice build, the bike looks great:cheers:

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am not sure the 771s will work in this instance. Shimano claims a 50mm chainline with the 6.5mm spacer installed on the drive side. Obviously you can remove it for fitting to a wider bb shell, but I dont see any way to push the cranks 5-6mm to the drive side. Removing the spacer would reduce the chainline, not increase it....

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
You should be able to install the 771 with all the spacers. The 56mm v 51mm chain line is the same as the old 118 vs 113mm isis bb's. The mod article is to fit XT's to a 83mm shell but the demo has a 73mm shell. you might need to play around with it but it will work out. This is what will happen to your chain line, imagine the "I" is your chain ring and the two "I's" represent your cassette upper and lower cogs.
Ideal What you might end up with
....I.....................I

..I....I.................I....I

Your chain will cross more and you might run into clearance issues with the chain stays and "seat stays", but if everything clears it will work, it's just not ideal. I know you already ordered them but if they don't work get the RF Atlas(715g 83/165 w/o BB) or Saints(762g 83x170 w/o BB), less weight and cost with the 68/73x165 or 170. Sure it is ~100g+ over the XT, but they are a lot more durable and the weight is low on the bike.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sorry, let me be more clear....

work in my verbage = work correctly... ie the proper chainline. If one does not care about the chainline and all the possible implications (rapidly wearing parts, poor shifting, possible frame interferance issues, etc) then anything will technically 'work'

Heck, you could put an old 128mm ISIS on there and it will 'work'.

Just trying to spread some info as it seems there is a lot of confusion about the Demo when it comes to chainline/cranks.

The change from 113 to 118 ISIS will shift the chainline from 47.5mm to 50mm, a difference of 2.5mm. The change from a 73mm external to an 83mm external will be roughly 50mm to 57.5 or 3 times as much. The other issue here is that a DH bike is ridden the majority of the time in the smaller cogs, many times the larger 2 or 3 cogs are removed or locked out, effectively moving the chainline even further outboard. So with a 50mm chainline crank on a true DH bike, the chain will spend the majority of time at the equivalent 'crossing' as running from granny to the lower cogs.

Can you bolt it all together and ride? Yes, but it will certainly shorten the life of the drivetrain at the very least.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Sorry, let me be more clear....

work in my verbage = work correctly... ie the proper chainline. If one does not care about the chainline and all the possible implications (rapidly wearing parts, poor shifting, possible frame interferance issues, etc) then anything will technically 'work'

Heck, you could put an old 128mm ISIS on there and it will 'work'.

Just trying to spread some info as it seems the vast majority of Demo owners are very confused when it comes to chainline/cranks.
50mm chainline is measured from the middle ring. Typical chainring spacing is ~4-5mm not 100% sure of the exact number. You can mount the large ring to the outside of the tabs and be OK, it is not 56mm, but pretty close. If you are really nitpicking you can shim it out a millimeter or so to the correct distance.

This means for most people, no bashguard. That is unless you design/fab your own solution.

So you can get it to work 100%. However most people want a bashguard and don't have the ability to design/make something, or they set up their bikes with the wrong chainline by mounting on the inside of the tabs.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
50mm chainline is measured from the middle ring. Typical chainring spacing is ~4-5mm not 100% sure of the exact number. You can mount the large ring to the outside of the tabs and be OK, it is not 56mm, but pretty close. If you are really nitpicking you can shim it out a millimeter or so to the correct distance.

This means for most people, no bashguard. That is unless you design/fab your own solution.

So you can get it to work 100%. However most people want a bashguard and don't have the ability to design/make something, or they set up their bikes with the wrong chainline by mounting on the inside of the tabs.
It is 5mm and yea, the outer mount would solve the chainline 'issues', but like you said...no room for a bash. LG-1 type will work, but will require removal of granny tabs.

I wrote all that in another thread (Bifff's new bike), and should have repeated it here...

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
I am not sure the 771s will work in this instance. Shimano claims a 50mm chainline with the 6.5mm spacer installed on the drive side. Obviously you can remove it for fitting to a wider bb shell, but I dont see any way to push the cranks 5-6mm to the drive side. Removing the spacer would reduce the chainline, not increase it....
What would be the point of those only having a 50mm chainline? I thought the whole point was to get enough room to run the bigger granny and middle rings.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What would be the point of those only having a 50mm chainline? I thought the whole point was to get enough room to run the bigger granny and middle rings.

??? I dont get it either. I would have assumed that they were pushed out further, but shimano clearly claims a 50mm chainline.....

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
what about using Deity Vendettas crankset? couldn't it solve chainline issues? and they are quite light as well...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
oops my bad I thought the first gen of Deity's cranksets were the same weight as Saints but the newer ones (Vendettas)were lighter...
seems like a common belief, I think because deity lists the 'crank' weight on their web site and many assume that includes the bb.

Go here for a set on scales http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=396344&highlight=Deity+Vendettas , as well as another poster who weighed but did not provide pics.....1080 and 1100 grams for arms, bb, and bolts. No spider or ring.

Old saints via sicklines = 996g for 165mm arms and bb...no ring.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
It is 5mm and yea, the outer mount would solve the chainline 'issues', but like you said...no room for a bash. LG-1 type will work, but will require removal of granny tabs.

I wrote all that in another thread (Bifff's new bike), and should have repeated it here...

Thanks again for that. I had a look at my faith today witht he 83mm RF bb and it does measure the exact same width as the Holzefeller BB on my demo. Therefore the 83mm RF bb with the spacer kit will measure the same as the stockk BB on my demo, and the chainline will be unaffected. Allthe correct gear is on its way.
daveP nailed it, and it like he said anything will work, but not well and not for long. The easy sollution is to put the right gear on the bike and not cobble it together.

cheers

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Ok, I am thinking about doing this too. But because it is a demo, could you not just get the normal xt's, the 770's and run that in the outer ring because it also has a claimed chainline of 50mm. They are also light because of the lack of spacers i believe.

And just to be clear, you have to trim the granny posts off to use an lg1 because of interference right? Or do you not?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
posted in another thread.....

my old DHS 2:1 was 47.5lbs.
so far without the pedals, cranks, bb, bash ring, Foes chain guide, chain and X7 der......its 35lbs.

Race Face Atlas FR:828g (83mm version...my 68/73 should be a bit lighter)
Foes chain guide:149g
X7 der:240g
PC951 chain:297g
aircorp pedals: 500g
total:2014g=4.4lbs....39.4lbs total weight(best guess so far)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Canfield Lucky. 41 lbs. Should be hitting around 40 or 39 with the full DH setup with the new cranks seatpost, and tubeless. Air shock and single ply tires for AM days.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Canfield Lucky. 41 lbs. Should be hitting around 40 or 39 with the full DH setup with the new cranks seatpost, and tubeless. Air shock and single ply tires for AM days.

How do you like the WC?
I was going to go ride today except for the fact my head is all screwed up with a NASTY sinus infection. :banghead:
Ill probably take some cold and sinus and ride tomorrow if not then monday but Im going to prove that you can pedal a cold/sinus infectionout of the system just like I used to weight lift even when I was all sick! Probably doesnt work but its my body so It has to do what I want it too! :thumb: Besides the Wifes a RN and she says it turns or can turn into pnuemonia! HAAAAAAAAA I scoff at such outlandish hoohaa! If its clogged and pressure BLOW LIKE HE!! and if its meant to be you'll breath. If not you will regret it severly and have a major Migraine! Mine just went away! :D:D:D:D

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Only one ride on it so far, and aside from the ridiculous top out that ride it was great. I definitely noticed it was flexing deep in the travel where it wouldn't with the 1.5 steer 66rc3, but it tracks very well and stays reasonably high in the travel when it should be, so I'm pretty stoked on my initial impressions. Also like the compression adjustment, very nice.

I understand that big dudes ride them, but being the pedantic ass that I am, I don't think I would ever ride anything but a 888rc3 or a 40rc2 or one of the new boxxers if I was 200+. I know that the fork wouldn't be holding me back and I could ride faster etc etc and lots of big people ride em, but I think it'd bother me. At 170 with gear, no worries! We'll see how i feel in a couple months when i've really had time to be stupid on it and push it a bit. Pumped so far though!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
How do you like the WC?
I was going to go ride today except for the fact my head is all screwed up with a NASTY sinus infection. :banghead:
Ill probably take some cold and sinus and ride tomorrow if not then monday but Im going to prove that you can pedal a cold/sinus infectionout of the system just like I used to weight lift even when I was all sick! Probably doesnt work but its my body so It has to do what I want it too! :thumb: Besides the Wifes a RN and she says it turns or can turn into pnuemonia! HAAAAAAAAA I scoff at such outlandish hoohaa! If its clogged and pressure BLOW LIKE HE!! and if its meant to be you'll breath. If not you will regret it severly and have a major Migraine! Mine just went away! :D:D:D:D
Do you just self medicate and buy ****ty bike parts and post crap like this all day??

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Do you just self medicate and buy ****ty bike parts and post crap like this all day??
NOPE, dont drink or smoke wont take pain killers either! :D
The buying part sometimes just depends on the mood, as far as posting yeah Ive been known to type sometimes! :thumb: Does it matter, last time I checked I was doing informative threads just like I did in the past. As I find things out or things pass by I sometimes and impressed others I just let go on by!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Should be blow 37 again now, the WC is 1.2 lighter than the 66rc3 and the tires are 400g lighter than my minions were (each one :eek:) and it was coming in at 38.4 or so with them on! So it shed a good 3 lbs easy, Ill try and get a scale pic tomorrow.
I nearly blew beer out my nose when I saw that. WTF?!

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
here's mine:)

Frame: Trek session 10 small
Fork: 888 ATA WC(soon with 2007 bomber/888 carbon sticker kit)
Headset: Acros 1.5 to 1/1.8 spacing
Stem: Race face Evolve DH
Bars: Brave Monster Bar
Grips: Spank
Brakes: Formula The One
Brake Levers: Formula The One
Brake Lines: Goodridge
Rear Shock: Manitou swinger X6/300lbs spring
Cranks: Bontrager king earl 165mm
Pedals: Bontrager king earl
Bottom bracket: Truvative Howitzer
Bracket bearings: Acros ABB Red