Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
The DIRTy polished DHR

been spending much time stripping & polishing some ALU-tubing. Weight wise this is stupid because I only saved 50 gram total.

she weighs appr 39,2 pounds with 07 boxxer WC, EX721 on ProII hubs, formula k24.

The BB is at 13,53 inches after i did the new shock mount mod.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
do you mean overdamped? compression? rebound? high? low? well, in any case it works great for me, i weigh about 130lbs for the record...
I meant compression. There is no high or low speed on DHX Air ;)
Have You got aftermarket shock? Or factory tuned (like OEM Fox shocks)?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
The DIRTy polished DHR

been spending much time stripping & polishing some ALU-tubing. Weight wise this is stupid because I only saved 50 gram total.

she weighs appr 39,2 pounds with 07 boxxer WC, EX721 on ProII hubs, formula k24.

The BB is at 13,53 inches after i did the new shock mount mod.

looks great but damn you've got to much time on your hands :P

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Finally got mine, hehe! Is got allready +100runs on Whistler in 15days and 3 races.

Weight on the picture 16.1kg or 35.5lbs, should drop some grams with lighter tubes for racing.

Fork: Boxxer WC
Shock RC4 with obtanium 300lbs
Wheels: Dee Max Ultimate
Tires: Minion 2.5 3C
Tubes: Intense 2.5" (just to make sure not flatting in Whistler)
Cranks and derrelleur: XTR
Pedals: Mallet 3
Brakes: Formula The one with 203mm discs
Sprocket: SRAM (don't know the model) will switch for a custom XTR 7V

A video riding it.

I'm running 721's and have a few flat spots from the past 9 months of riding. So I went to get the wheels trued up and tensioned despite the flat spots, and talked to the local wheel master.

The 823's, because they're tubeless, have no holes that go straight through from inside the rim to the outside. Hence, they're stronger against flat spots due to less week points.

They're also slightly narrower than an 729, but they're (correct me if I'm wrong) about 20g lighter. So if you're going to run tubeless, it DEFINITELY makes sense. If you're not, then maybe it's for strength.

721's: 590g
729's: 675g
823's: 657g

Being as stiff and resistant to flat spots as they are, 823's with tubes are a bad recipe and will lead to a lot of flats.
I wish I knew this before flats screwed up a few races for me this season.
Soft wheels like DT's are soft for a reason. Probably not for everyone, but maybe somewhere in between like a Sun Ringle', 729/721.
If you don't race and don't mind fixing flats, then 823's will last a long time.
But if you don't race you probably wouldn't have a sub 40 lb bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Finally got mine, hehe! Is got allready +100runs on Whistler in 15days and 3 races.

Weight on the picture 16.1kg or 35.5lbs, should drop some grams with lighter tubes for racing.

A video riding it.

Very nice build and bike. I've got a question about the tubes - have you tried running a lighter tube and some sealant? It works great for me and even though I'm quite sure I'm much slower I'm an idiot and tend to run the pressure to low very often which results in very sneaky situations ;) Now I run ust but before I got away with that (actually I sneaked less)

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria

A video riding it.

nice nice nice, now on the 2010 The One as well:D

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Very nice build and bike. I've got a question about the tubes - have you tried running a lighter tube and some sealant? It works great for me and even though I'm quite sure I'm much slower I'm an idiot and tend to run the pressure to low very often which results in very sneaky situations ;) Now I run ust but before I got away with that (actually I sneaked less)
I have to say that normally I run pretty thick tubes just to avoid puncture, but lately I've been using EX321 rims and you flat way less so used some lighter tubes on it without flatting much. But I'm always scared of a flat on race run or qualify, punctured on first world cup this year and couldn't make it to the finals.

What pressure you run? For example in Whistler I've been running for races and all 2.2kg F and 2.4kg R

cesar that bike is SO clean, very nice!
Thanks! That was the plan.

nice nice nice, now on the 2010 The One as well:D
Those things brake so much, more than the "old" ones.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have to say that normally I run pretty thick tubes just to avoid puncture, but lately I've been using EX321 rims and you flat way less so used some lighter tubes on it without flatting much. But I'm always scared of a flat on race run or qualify, punctured on first world cup this year and couldn't make it to the finals.

What pressure you run? For example in Whistler I've been running for races and all 2.2kg F and 2.4kg R

I was around that in my tube days and now I think I go lower but with tubeless. Try it off the race - stans + lighter tube worked for me. It may be just luck or work for me but it's worth a try.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria

those formula people are crazy:thumb:

See you in Schladming!

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
I was around that in my tube days and now I think I go lower but with tubeless. Try it off the race - stans + lighter tube worked for me. It may be just luck or work for me but it's worth a try.
Yeah I will give em a try. Should be fine with the ust tires and dee max rims, no liquid needed right, or is best to use as safety?
Back in the day we were running the system from michelin, that basically was a tubeless tire, with some inner road tubular with a mousse wraped around, and that was fine, even flated was fine, I remember qualifying with front flat from almost top of the track with spikes on rain.
But when we switched to full tubeless, we needed to put so much more pressure due to deformation of tire. Went from 1.6F/1.8R to 2.4F/2.6R so don't know if this will be same, but for sure will give it a try. The tubes I use are 250-300gr each, so is worth 500-600gr less!!!

those formula people are crazy:thumb:

See you in Schladming!
Sure, that reminds me that I should take the airplane ticket :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah I will give em a try. Should be fine with the ust tires and dee max rims, no liquid needed right, or is best to use as safety?
Back in the day we were running the system from michelin, that basically was a tubeless tire, with some inner road tubular with a mousse wraped around, and that was fine, even flated was fine, I remember qualifying with front flat from almost top of the track with spikes on rain.
But when we switched to full tubeless, we needed to put so much more pressure due to deformation of tire. Went from 1.6F/1.8R to 2.4F/2.6R so don't know if this will be same, but for sure will give it a try. The tubes I use are 250-300gr each, so is worth 500-600gr less!!!

Sure, that reminds me that I should take the airplane ticket :D
With ust tires some people had problems with ripping holes in their tires. It only happened to me twice over 1.5 seasons and the 2nd time I was smart enough to put one scoop of sealant which allowed me to end the race (though faaaaaaar back as the tire was damaged in a nice crash ;) ). Now I sometimes go as low as 1.2bar or even 1 (but that's only on smooth courses) but I'm the last person to notice something flexing/wheel going sideways (I'm light and have serious trouble with concentrating ;) ).

BTW. Are the new ONES trouble free compared to the older ones you've had? I've had a lot of small problems with my biancos and my friends ones have been the same.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
With ust tires some people had problems with ripping holes in their tires. It only happened to me twice over 1.5 seasons and the 2nd time I was smart enough to put one scoop of sealant which allowed me to end the race (though faaaaaaar back as the tire was damaged in a nice crash ;) ). Now I sometimes go as low as 1.2bar or even 1 (but that's only on smooth courses) but I'm the last person to notice something flexing/wheel going sideways (I'm light and have serious trouble with concentrating ;) ).

BTW. Are the new ONES trouble free compared to the older ones you've had? I've had a lot of small problems with my biancos and my friends ones have been the same.
I use the "old" the ones for two years now with absolute zero problems so far, two of my riding budies have them too and zero problems as well

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
I had zero problems with the the ones, only thing to have in mind, is trying not to get too much to the end of the pads, as the expansion tank inside the lever, is pretty small and gets easy to get some bubbles when you're close to run out of pads. Changing fluid every 4-5 months max helps as well.

Cesar, what about those Dee Max Ultimates?
Is a model over the silver ones that will remind next year in production. We weighted ones and weight was around 1.9, not 2kg.

Wonder how they hold up as waiting for mavic to service your wheels is a real pain in the ass.
The hold really well, two weeks in Whistler, more than 100 runs, 3 races and didn't even touch a spoke. So impressed with the product, are going to stay on my bike from now on and for sure this means that are good as I'm lucky enough to be able to run whatever I want on the bike, hehe :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The hold really well, two weeks in Whistler, more than 100 runs, 3 races and didn't even touch a spoke. So impressed with the product, are going to stay on my bike from now on and for sure this means that are good as I'm lucky enough to be able to run whatever I want on the bike, hehe :D
That's good to hear. I was thinking about going stans + some light hub (don't care or have cash for the bling) on the front but it may be a reasonable solution.

Stylecat

Chimp
Aug 27, 2009

Canfield Jedi 08 med
Marzocchi 888 Rc3
Marzocchi Roco WC
Black Marked Bada Boom/Marz stem
Shimano Saint 165mm, cranks
Shimano XT Shadow
MRP G2
Thomson Elite
Avid Juicy7
Blackspire 36t
kmc x9
Tornado, SunRingle Demon in the back, Atomlab somethingsomething in the front.

42lbs

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

A video riding it.

Are you using a 9.5 x 3" shock or a 10.5 x 3.5" now?

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Are the polished The One 2010 brakes only for the team or for everyone available?.Awesome bike and sick vid btw

My 2009 Intense M6. - 39.25 lbs
2008 Boxxer World Cup
Sunline Direct mount stem
Industry Nine Wheelset - Mavic 823 rims
Sunline V1 Bars
Sunline logo grips - thick
Magura Louise Brakes with Venti Rotors
FSA Gravity Light Cranks
Azonic 420 Pedals
SRAM XO Derrailer
MRP G2 Chainguide
DSP Ti Spring on Manitou Revox
SDG Micro Adjust Post
SDG I Fly Saddle
Sunline V1 Headset

Last edited:

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
update of my race rig...

Love this seatpost!!!

Deity all around (Bars/stem/grips/seatpost:thumb:/pedals)
09 fox 40 RC2
Marz Roco Air WC
Hope hubs
Stans ZTR Flow (tubeless)
Minnions DHF
THE seat
CK headset
Elixir R
xtr shifter
Saint RD
Gamut P30
Gravity Cranks

Weight: 39.11lbs

Super stoked with this bike!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Looks good! :)
But, how is ti possible it weighs nearly 40lbs with air shock, Stan's, Hope hubs, F40 and no pedals!?

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
think its my cranks. its not the gravity lights. its just the normal gravity. cant think of anything else... but the numbers dont lie. 39.11 and I am happy with that.

oh ya, its 39.11 with the deity pedals...

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany

A video riding it.
the frame looks so much better without the decals

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98872&d=1251327019

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
think its my cranks. its not the gravity lights. its just the normal gravity. cant think of anything else... but the numbers dont lie. 39.11 and I am happy with that.

oh ya, its 39.11 with the deity pedals...
ups, I missed pedals ;)
How do You like Rocco Air? Tried anything else? Fox? Evolver?

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
ups, I missed pedals ;)
How do You like Rocco Air? Tried anything else? Fox? Evolver?
it works for me. the 1st 1/3 is a little "wallowie" (is there such a word?) but otherwise spot on and works as it should. maybe a little custom valving will address the issue!

in truth. no problems. but i m dying to try out the RC4