Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My 07 Uzzi is 38ish almost 39.

Could probably scrape some more weight off by replacing the cranks and I'm going tubeless soon.
Nice!

Have a question though, I was looking into getting one but was told that the rear is flexy and 200lb + people will walk the rear from side to side.
Have you noticed this and what are your thoughts on it.
Its sweet, love the look. :thumb:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
WEIGHT WEENIE!!!!:busted:
I run ti springs because the spring better! :D
I run single ply because Its more durable than 2 ply. :D

Just messin with ya!
Ti retains its memory better and its lighter, single plys (tubeless) shed atleast 2 lbs and have alot less roatational mass etc.. So its bonus on the light weight front.
i could go down to 36 if i wanted to. with a boxxer WC and the 5.1 dt wheels thats .7lb on the fork and 600g on the wheels which is about 1.5lb not to mention lighter bars, and even a DHX air. stickin at 38.8ish is good enough for me, hell 43 is, but i like my bike lookin perty like yours :)
and id never run sinle ply tubeless! haha

and im just about to post stuff about the ti spring in the aunday forum, of how on the RCS site it states its a better memory more responsive and ish

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
and id never run sinle ply tubeless! haha
I love single ply tubeless. No snakebites or flats aside of ripping tread off which would take any tire out.
Thanks for the comment on the bike. :thumb: It looks sleek with the other wheelset on it, the rims are black and again the hub and spokes are red. Its an identical set of I9s to my other set with the exception of one has white rims and the other has black.

If I went with a boxxer wc I could shave 1lb, the stem 80g, rims 360 (syncros dps32'S to dt 5.1) the canny could be sitting at 37+. Dont think I would huck it though.:shocked:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
I love single ply tubeless. No snakebites or flats aside of ripping tread off which would take any tire out.
Thanks for the comment on the bike. :thumb: It looks sleek with the other wheelset on it, the rims are black and again the hub and spokes are red. Its an identical set of I9s to my other set with the exception of one has white rims and the other has black.
word, just emailed RCS i want a damn ti spring NOW. haha.

PS oh shoot some wiehgt is adding on, replacing the juicy carbon calipers with code calipers, rockin the carbon master cylinder/lever and straitline lever

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Theres a couple of tricks to do when doing tubeless to prevent burping, I am 220+ and have come up way short on stairs and square edge hits and never had them burp or get weird.

1: when the tire is ready to be filled pour enough stans between the rim and tire to flow all the way around.
2; use a little wider rim strip then called for a little buckle is no big deal in the center of the strip.

I do these and have had NO problems in 2.5 years

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
Nice!

Have a question though, I was looking into getting one but was told that the rear is flexy and 200lb + people will walk the rear from side to side.
Have you noticed this and what are your thoughts on it.
Its sweet, love the look. :thumb:
I'm 2bills and I haven't noticed any flex in the rear-end. Its been a really solid bike and I've been completey happy with it. I get bike related A.D.D and like to change up my bikes but I've had one Uzzi or another for more than a year now and probably won't swap it up until I lay my eyes on the m5 or the new v10 or something else low and sexy. I keep seeing the 08 ShockerDH proto with its new weight shavings and think it might be intersting. Doh...A.D.D strikes again!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm 2bills and I haven't noticed any flex in the rear-end. Its been a really solid bike and I've been completey happy with it. I get bike related A.D.D and like to change up my bikes but I've had one Uzzi or another for more than a year now and probably won't swap it up until I lay my eyes on the m5 or the new v10 or something else low and sexy. I keep seeing the 08 ShockerDH proto with its new weight shavings and think it might be intersting. Doh...A.D.D strikes again!
I have a similair afflicition, its A.B.B. (Another Bling Bike) :D

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
Bullcrew, I also have a uzzi vpx with no flex issues at all. I am 210lbs with gear and I am not a smooth rider. Ape, is that a WC boxxer (off a 07 WC Sunday) or is it a team? You must have single ply tires if you are down to 38lbs.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No, actually at Bootleg I ran DH casing with light tubes and the bike felt really dull and non responsive as far as contact and handling. It was really BLAH feeling, Id prefer tubeless and nextr time will run it with dh casing at Bootleg.
Tubed:Iit rolls over with the 2 surfaces making contact before the trail and gives it a squirrley feeling like a small roll before engagement.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
Weighed my '06 Izimu last night.

Although the diet isn't complete yet, the weight is at 42.1 lbs, with some heavy platform pedals (just so I can tool around until my tubeless wheels are finished), 2.7" DH tubes, and the ITS 2.35 Edge/2.5 DH setup. Fall 2006 build was 43.4 pounds.

Fall build:

So far this is what I've changed from last fall's setup, to arrive at the current weight of 42.1lbs:

Manitou Ti rear spring
LG-1 (w/taco) and 34T G-ring (might go back to a 38, but want to try this first)
105 SS rear derailleur
XT shift pod
Currently have some Club Roost Flats on (1.6 lbs for the pair), but will race with 424's
Selle Flite saddle

Some of these changes had no net impact to the weight (seat, der/shift), and the current weight is a bit skewed since I have the flats and 2.7 tubes installed.

I'm optimistic that I'll lose around 2 lbs in wheel weight with my lighter hubs, tubeless installed, and a 2.35/2.35 Edge (race wheels). I should also drop AT LEAST .25 pounds in the pedals.

That should put me at 39-40lbs...pictures when complete. All in all I think this is a solid build, and I didn't drop a lot of coin on high ticket items that would only show a slight weight savings. The Ti spring was the most expensive item, but also dropped the most weight (almost 1 pound).

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007

2 days ago i put Ti springs into the travis for less weigth and the weigth off the bike is now 39.5lbs instead off 42lbs.For the rest off the bike it's fine.I was thinking to put new brakes on it such as a pair off formula oro's with 220mm rotors,but my hayes do just fine.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
There is not a chance that the Trek session you have weighs in at sub 40lbs im sorry to say. You need to try a more accurate scale.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
My 07 Uzzi is 38ish almost 39.

Could probably scrape some more weight off by replacing the cranks and I'm going tubeless soon.
Whats your build list? I am building a similar bike so wnat to get an idea of where I need to make changes.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004

Bike is 40 Pounds as is. Im very happy with this as I did nothing intentionally to make it light, other than picking quality parts.
The build is-
Morewood Izimu (07) large- NSDHR Red
Chris King
Cane Creek Double Barrel Steel spring
180mm Manitiou Travis (intrinsic) w/ integrated stem
Industry Nines to MTX rims
Holzfellers/howitzer bb
Funn Full on Bar
Hayes Mag's with Carbon levers
Sram x.9
SDG I beam/ I fly
Maxxis Minion DH-F Tripple Compound
Wellgo MG-1 pedals
e.13 lg1 with taco

Thanks to Morewood, Neil, Richard, Brennen, Justin, and John for helping us get our bikes built

trumbullrider

Monkey
Dec 12, 2005
CT

38lbs

same frame andre built up

dhx 5.0
travis
holzfeller cranks/bars/pedals
lg1
xo drivetrain
singletrack wheel set
minion dhf 2 ply 2.5
soon to have formula bianco and possibly a cc db

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
yea, my session 10 size medium weighs exactly 44 on a bike shop scale, stock. it is a good weight for that bike, the frame is super burly and epic, and a lifetime waranttee.
Yup,

Any bike with a 14lb+ frame that is built to -40lbs must have silly parts on it.

livingplasma

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Can I play? 40.43 lbs on the shop digi-scale/stand today :biggrin:

Small Intense Uzzi VPX frame w/DHX 5, 350x2.8 steel spring
06 Marzocchi 66 RC2X with rebound side spring removed and lighter weight oil
Hadley Hubs 32 spoke (150mm rear spacing) w/Mavic 729
Maxxis Minions DHF 2.5 and 2.7 60A compound w/regular thickness DH size tubes
SRAM X9 mid cage rear derailleur and shifter (06's?)
Shimano Saint brakes
Shimano Hone cranks, 170mm
LG1 w/taco made from a *gasp* Truvativ bash
Race Face Diabolous 50mm length stem w/Diety bars
Miscellaneous bits- Intense logo Lock-on grips, WTB seat, Thomson seatpost, Azonic A-Frame pedals, Jagwire stick on cable guides for custom cable routing, no more garish INTENSE decals on downtube and seatstay (obviously where the real weight savings comes from :rofl:)

Attachments

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
Got mine pretty well buttoned up tonight.

Here's the build (weight of 39.63 lbs on shop digi and 40.1 on my digi fish scale):

'06 Morewood Izimu (large)
Swinger 6-Way with 500lb Manitou Ti spring
'07 Fox 40 RC2 with Ti spring
Cane Creek S1 Headset
Selle Flight Ti saddle
Thomson seatpost (uncut)
Thomson 50mm 4X OS Stem
ProTaper 2" OS Bar
ODI/Intense lock grips
Hayes HFX Mags with 8" rotors
XT shift pod
105 SS rear derailleur
Holzfeller Howitzer crank and bb
38T Truvativ DH ring
E13 LG-1 with taco
32h 721 on Marz. hub and 32h 721 on WTB rear (set up as tubeless), built with DT 2.0/1.8 spokes
Intense Edge Fro-Lites 2.35 SR50
SRAM PG 970 12-26 casette
SRAM PC 99 chain
Shimano 424 pedals

Still might swap out the post and saddle for an I beam to lose around a quarter of a pound (and save my road saddle from DH destruction...) and maybe switch to an e13 38T ring. I have a 34t e13 g-ring that I can't get set up correctly with the LG-1, but might keep tinkering with it. Running 2.5 ITS DH's will add around 2.5lbs (with DH tubes) or .6 pounds tubeless. I don't plan on changing anything else unless it breaks.

As you can see from the build list - nothing super exotic, and a decent weight for a full DH bike...

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Fresh out of the box it's 42lbs on my fancy fish scale. will be changing out the fork, shock (to Fox units) wheels (Dee Max rims), tires (tubeless), bar & stem (non oversize), bolts (some bling Ti) and whatever I did to last years bike as well (which was 38lbs). I am hoping to wow you all with 37lbs! haha.

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
For those that asked:

This picture is a little old but the current buildlist is:
2007 Intense Uzzi - Works finish
Fox dhx5 w/ ti spring
2006 Boxxer Team
Saint Brakes w/ xt rotors
R/ 150 Hadley on 719x
F/ Hadley on 321x
f/r Michelin 2.5 comp 24
X0 drivetrain
saint cranks(will be replacing but undecided as yet)
shimano dx pedals
gamut chainguide
raceface 32 tooth ring
Sram PG 991 hollow pin chain
Sram Pg990 cassette
Chromag Fubar
Chromag Box integrated stem
CC zero stack headset
thompson seat post
wtb race V seat
xc tubes (but soon to be tubeless)
odi lockon grips
one half inch spacer
8 zip ties

Weighed in on the scale at my LBS yesterday at 38.9

Things i am changing when the mood/paycheque strikes me: Lighter rotors, tubeless, lighter cranks, seat, seatpost and I nerded out and ordered some ti bolts for here and there

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004

Fresh out of the box it's 42lbs on my fancy fish scale. will be changing out the fork, shock (to Fox units) wheels (Dee Max rims), tires (tubeless), bar & stem (non oversize), bolts (some bling Ti) and whatever I did to last years bike as well (which was 38lbs). I am hoping to wow you all with 37lbs! haha.
i really love those bikes. good stuff... although 42 kinda suprises me. DH tubes?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
For those that asked:

This picture is a little old but the current buildlist is:
2007 Intense Uzzi - Works finish
Fox dhx5 w/ ti spring
2006 Boxxer Team
Saint Brakes w/ xt rotors
R/ 150 Hadley on 719x
F/ Hadley on 321x
f/r Michelin 2.5 comp 24
X0 drivetrain
saint cranks(will be replacing but undecided as yet)
shimano dx pedals
gamut chainguide
raceface 32 tooth ring
Sram PG 991 hollow pin chain
Sram Pg990 cassette
Chromag Fubar
Chromag Box integrated stem
CC zero stack headset
thompson seat post
wtb race V seat
xc tubes (but soon to be tubeless)
odi lockon grips
one half inch spacer
8 zip ties

Weighed in on the scale at my LBS yesterday at 38.9

Things i am changing when the mood/paycheque strikes me: Lighter rotors, tubeless, lighter cranks, seat, seatpost and I nerded out and ordered some ti bolts for here and there
Did you weight the ti. shock spring against a steel one?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
It comes as no shock to me. Infact it looks like an honest weight! Something that is very rare on bike forums.

hahaha.... so true. i usually add about 2 pounds to most peoples "claimed" weights on this forum and they sound more realistic.

any frame (with shock) that is much more than 11 lbs (and that's being generous) would need some serious work to get below 40 pounds and still be a fully capable world cup level bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hahaha.... so true. i usually add about 2 pounds to most peoples "claimed" weights on this forum and they sound more realistic.

any frame (with shock) that is much more than 11 lbs (and that's being generous) would need some serious work to get below 40 pounds and still be a fully capable world cup level bike.
BOOYAA! Mine is. :monkeydance:
Agread on peoples claimed weights. I weigh mine on atleast 3 different scales and average them high as a safety, plus that also gives me motiviation to lose a little bit here and there. I can safely reduce atleast 360g on rim choice and 80g on stem from DB to sunline as well as a boxxer WC would shave another 400g.

Yes these words are truly coming from me, I am happy with it! I love the way it looks, rides, handles and no more weight crusades!
(atleast for now! :D)

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
bullcrew! pics of my new stuff will come soon, gamut, wellgo mg1, and ti spring on the way! only thing i bought for wieght savings was the ti spring and that has the added bling factor!! hehe looked aroudn next thursday my prediction is 38.7 lb ill get pics of it on the scale as well

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia

Bike is 40 Pounds as is. Im very happy with this as I did nothing intentionally to make it light, other than picking quality parts.
The build is-
Morewood Izimu (07) large- NSDHR Red
Chris King
Cane Creek Double Barrel Steel spring
180mm Manitiou Travis (intrinsic) w/ integrated stem
Industry Nines to MTX rims
Holzfellers/howitzer bb
Funn Full on Bar
Hayes Mag's with Carbon levers
Sram x.9
SDG I beam/ I fly
Maxxis Minion DH-F Tripple Compound
Wellgo MG-1 pedals
e.13 lg1 with taco

Thanks to Morewood, Neil, Richard, Brennen, Justin, and John for helping us get our bikes built
Dam that bike is nice...