Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
with the new frame tubing they saved a bit more weight. We'll see what she comes in at after I get done with it.
bad new for you man, the weight that they saved in tubing, the roco made up for. not sure why, but thats what it seems on the posted weights on their web site. and i have weighted it against my 06 frame and it really accurate.

nice bike man, i am having alot of trouble fighting the temptation to get one.... :twitch:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
2007 sunday expert frame
Roco with 400lb ti spring
888 sl ata
Sunline integrated stem
Funn fatboy handlebar
sdg seatpost
sdg i beam saddle
hope m4 rear m6 front brakes both with braided lines
dt swiss hubs laced to 823 rims
holzfeller cranks and howitzer BB
Minion 2.5 front mobster 2.5 rear (tubeless)
Sunline thick grips
LG 1 with Taco, 36t chainring
ultegra 11-26 cassette
sram low end chain
x7 rear shifter
x9 rear der
38.33 lbs w/o pedals, pics to come soon

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
My problem was the small pedal body and the pins tearing out, but they're light as hell. Plus you can put a ti spindle in to make 'em even lighter.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
im running mallet m's for most races and c's for angelfire. right now i have 50/50s for casual riding which will do fine for now

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
06 sx trail 1 42.5 lbs.
El norte bar , post , stem
deemax rear
dee trax front
66 vf
dhx 4 600lbs. spring
2.5 nevgal folding
Detity cranks
a frame pedals
bg seat
saint shifter and der.
e -13 guide

I'v been told it should be 38 ish ................... It would kill if it was 38 !

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
Here's the finished photo of mine in "US Open" spec. Averaged out to 39.4 on 2 different digi scales. I'm sure the 2007 decals will add .0000000001 pounds, so I'll slap them on when they arrive.:twitch:

On straight up riding weekends, I'll throw the 34T e.13 bash on and maybe run my tubed wheels.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO

To come:
OCT Cranks (once someone has them in stock)
Ti Spring (once i'm done fiddling with the shock)
Swap the tires with Maxxis Minion/HighRoller combo. Love these tires, grip like crazy but they roll wayyy slow.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
my sunday 39.5lb

medium 07 sunday team
dt swiss 2350 wheels
kenda nevegals
juicy carbon brakes with code calipers
welgo mg 1 pedals
gravity lite crankset
gamut chainguide
thats about all i can think of

Eren

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Pic is a bit shi&ty, will get some new ones soon.

38.18lbs YEOW!

Middleburns
p20, e13, Durace Cass
Stans flows, hope pro II
Areolites front, champs rear, Alloy nips
No tubes with 8g rim tape and 2.35 Intense tyres, 60ml of stans
Monkey lite and thompson X4, carbon top cap.
Welgo mg1, thomoson layback, slr, ODI no lock on grips.
6" rear rotor, have a 7" front yet to put on.
Ti shock bolts and replaced heavy steal bolt on p20 for alloy chainring bolt, carbon top cap, little things like this add up..

Pretty sure this is a light as I can get the frame and fork combo. My wheels came in at 1748grams- time will tell how the rims go, but they built well and feel stiff enough. They bead up very easy with the intense tyres which balloon out quite a bit on the narrow rim and sit around the same size as a 2.5 maxxis.

Still think norcos are heavy? :P

Attachments

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
Here is my contribution:

2006 Ironhorse Sunday Elite, 36.44 lbs

Biggest weight savings come from the titanium spring, EX-1750 wheelset, LG-1 guide, and Gravity Lite cranks. For burlier race courses I add 2.5 dual-ply rubber, which adds roughly 2 lbs to the total.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Here is my contribution:

Biggest weight savings come from the titanium spring, EX-1750 wheelset, and Gravity Lite cranks. For burlier race courses I add 2.5 rubber, which adds roughly 2 lbs to the total
Crazy. And theres room for you to drop a lot more weight (seat to an I-fly, Stem to E13, monkeylite bars).

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
Crazy. And theres room for you to drop a lot more weight (seat to an I-fly, Stem to E13, monkeylite bars).
Good suggestions. If you look close, the stem is an e13, and the I-fly is already in the mail. Hoping to upgrade to a USA made Sunday frame next year, I heard they are a pound lighter than the taiwanese versions.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
2005 Sunday Factory 17"
2006 Boxxer WC dhx 300 ti manitou spring
Thomson post and some light road seat
X0 plus sram cassette and chain
Easton E70 bar
Odi grips
2007 Mavic 823 on Woodman 20mm and DT freeride
Maxxis Minion DHR 2.5 run tubeless
Profile 165mm arms and ti spindle
E13 STS guide and 36t ring
Hayes Mag breakes
E13 ali stem

41½ lbs

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Here is my contribution:

Biggest weight savings come from the titanium spring, EX-1750 wheelset, LG-1 guide, and Gravity Lite cranks. For burlier race courses I add 2.5 dual-ply rubber, which adds roughly 2 lbs to the total.

thats crazy light. sweet bike!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Here is my contribution:

Thats pretty much a stock sunday, minus the dh wheels. Nice build but the 1750s come stock on the sunday. Isnt the proclaimed weight around 39/40?
Just curious, theres alot of sundays coming in at 38/39 and they are similair builds.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Thats pretty much a stock sunday, minus the dh wheels. Nice build but the 1750s come stock on the sunday. Isnt the proclaimed weight around 39/40?
Just curious, theres alot of sundays coming in at 38/39 and they are similair builds.
Single ply tires.....

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
Yes, the claimed weight on the Sunday World Cup is 39.2 lbs. But this is a different frame than that (heavier), so its still a bit of extra triming to get it down to 36. The '06 Elite came out of the box at 44+ lbs.

As for the wheels, they are an upgrade for this bike; the ex1750s only come stock on '07 Sunday World Cups.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yes, the claimed weight on the Sunday World Cup is 39.2 lbs. But this is a different frame than that (heavier), so its still a bit of extra triming to get it down to 36. The '06 Elite came out of the box at 44+ lbs.

As for the wheels, they are an upgrade for this bike; the ex1750s only come stock on '07 Sunday World Cups.
Just curious, seems a little light considering components. None the less a SWEET build!

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii

39,8 as seen.
Last years setup, but it stayes mostly unchanged for this season. Stem spacers are gone, and the floater rod is now Ti w/alu and ti hardware. A big thanks to Doc for making this bike happen!!

King, Tune, Ava, Shimano, Mavic, DT, Thomson, Easton, Profile and others.
Rockin bike, I love to ride it. Eats square-edges like candy. So nice an balanced. I love the BoXXers. I'm going out to ride it now. See ya :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Single ply tires.....
Yeah seriously, any DH race builds should include dual ply 2.5 rubber.

Over here, there's no real tracks where you could get away with singleply (and still run fast times / not flat), so that weight may as well be 38.44 to be comparable fairly.

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
Yeah seriously, any DH race builds should include dual ply 2.5 rubber.

Over here, there's no real tracks where you could get away with singleply (and still run fast times / not flat), so that weight may as well be 38.44 to be comparable fairly.
I knew someone was going to call me on that. I am a firm believer in single-ply tires. In ten years of DH racing, I have yet to flat in a race run with them, and I attribute many podiums and wins to the performance gain they give. You have to be pretty smooth to pull it off, some of my friends have tried it with less-than-satisfactory results. But I will also admit, I don't think most of the courses around here are insanely rough.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
I knew someone was going to call me on that. I am a firm believer in single-ply tires. In ten years of DH racing, I have yet to flat in a race run with them, and I attribute many podiums and wins to the performance gain they give. You have to be pretty smooth to pull it off, some of my friends have tried it with less-than-satisfactory results. But I will also admit, I don't think most of the courses around here are insanely rough.
i run single ply as well!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have run single ply Maxxis in Whistler tubeless for 4-5 days without a problem but here on the East Coast its no good.

Still some weights of bikes here seems a little on the low side but low weight is the new cool here in RM so I understand the urge. A written above my Sunday is 41½ lbs and only thing on the heavy side is the profile arms and pedals.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW

07 Iron Horse Sunday
Fox 40
DT FR2350 wheelset
Saint cranks / e.Thirteen LG1
X9 trigger & rear derailleur
Thomson post and stem
WTB Silverado saddle
Syncros Bulk bar (7075)
Saint brakes/Straitline levers
Sunline grips
Maxxis 2.7 MinonF / 2.5 Highroller (tubes)

41lbs