Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

ktm379

Chimp
Jun 19, 2007
Does any one run , Or know how to mount a DHX air 5.0 on a 2008 Turner DHR, i have seen a few guys do it but the Air fitting seems to hit the frame?

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
anyone else agree that the forks are too high on the gambler?
I have some doubts on how well that air shock will perform in the alps.

C'est une question de poids l'amorto a air?

nicho

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I adjust the forks depending on how many pedals I am clipping. It has a 100mm headtube and with the fork slammed I am under a 14" bb which doesn't work very well for most of the places I ride. I hear what you are saying but I change my setup depending on the terrain.

The air shock is heavily tuned and is nothing like a stock air shock. I am able to manipulate the progressive spring rate and dial in things that I couldn't do on a coil. It suffers none of the problems that people associate with an air shock. I am sponsored by Suspension Center in Switzerland and Fox so the suspension doesn't get any more dialed for me and what I do. I just tested the new RC4 and some other stuff with Fox Europe a couple days ago. My stuff handles the alps just fine.

edit: Le poids c'est aussi cool mais c'est pas le seule raison pour que je ride cela. J'ai aussi des coil si jamais j'ai des problems mais il n'y pas de probleme pour moi.

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
Hey,

i hear what you are saying. And im not aware of what tuning you have on your bike. I have ridden and raced in the alps with my dh bike with a 13.5" bb height on my bike without a problem. I even raced the megavalanche on it and it was no trouble.
The concern over the fork height was more of cornering thing but i have noticed that in steeper terrains people tend to rise their front end considerably. A bit normal since it s rather flat in australia compared to the Alps.

Does you air shock heat up chronically to the point that you loose your damping abilities?
tu peses combien ?
Nicho

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey Nicho

I weigh 185lbs.

It's not a coil shock so there will always be a difference but through testing a bunch of different tunes I have found a setup where I like it and it doesn't have problems with heat or whatever. The tuning makes all the difference. I would not like to ride a stock DHX air over a coil.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
What do you guys think this weighs? It's a singlespeed, and the front deraileur is off now. I'll drop a bunch of weight as soon s I remove the extra cogs from the back.

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
39.9 lbs -> 18,1kg

close but post 40 lbs :clapping:

Frame: Turner DHR 2007 Size Medium
Fork: Fox 40 RC2 2006 Medium Titanium Spring
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 450lbs Spring (Fox steel)
Wheelset: Hope 2 Pro Hubs Mavic 721 Rims
Chainguide: MRP System 3 Carbon (~250g)
Drivetrain: Shimano XTR
Cranks: Shimano Saint 165mm/83mm
Brakes: Formula The One 200/200mm
Pedal: Shimano DX
Seatpost: Easton EC 70 Zero
Tires: Maxxis Highroller 2,5 2ply 42a at front und Maxxis Highroller 2,35 2ply 60a at rear
Tubes: Schwalbe SV13
Headset: Syncros FR 1
Stem: Syncros FR Stem
Handlebar: Element Technic Flat Wide Bar 760mm 296g
Syncros Lock-On
Saddle: Fizik Gobi Wing-Flex Titan

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
HEy Mate,

HUmm. What is that supposed to mean ? That air shocks are the go because world cup dher's run them (again might i add). I recall them bringing the dhx air out a couple of years and it came out as quickly as it came in.

I believe the only reason they are pulling this air shock business out for dh again is because of the flat sections that the sa world cup has and furthermore it would provide good testing grounds for canberra (flattest track ever).Only assumptions here!
i'd be curious to see if they pull out that shock for any of the more steeper, gnarlier tracks for the world cups.

I commented on your shock because you live in the Alps and the way i see it's a lot harsher on shocks that it could ever be at pietermaritzburg or Canberra.

nicho

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hey,

Does you air shock heat up chronically to the point that you loose your damping abilities?
tu peses combien ?
Nicho
Well I don't think my mojo tuned dhx air works as good as Bucko's but I've done a few gnarly tracks on mine (Maribor, Spindleruv Mlyn old EC or WC??? track) and had no overheating problems at all on a 3:1 ratio frame. My low weight may help (70kg) but still I think that most of the overheating chatter are myths or stuff popularised by people using them on older frames with smaller shocks (9.5'' here)

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Demo 7 frame with a custom and legit big bike build. There may be a few parts that I destroy, but only time will tell.

ArthurGreen

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Poland
My 2009 Setup

38.58 lbs

IH Sunday WC

Frame: IH Sunday WC Medium
Fork: Fox 40 RC2 2007 Titanium Spring
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 400lbs Spring (progressive ti-spring)
Wheelset: dt440 Hubs Mavic 721/823 Rims
Chainguide: e.13 lg1
Cranks: FSA Gravity Light 165mm/83mm
Brakes: Shimano Saint/code5
Pedal: CB Mallet
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Tires: Maxxis minion 2,5 2ply 42a
Headset: Sunline V1
Stem: Sunline V1
Handlebar: Sunline V1
Saddle: Tioga McLite

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
No fajny sprzęcior, chłopaku :)
Sweet bike. Nice colors :)
There is chain missing ;)
Remember to check bolts on cranks. Use torque wrench.

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
My 2009 Setup

38.58 lbs

IH Sunday WC

nice fork... XD

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My 2009 Setup

38.58 lbs

IH Sunday WC

Your bike is getting better and better. I'm also very curious about those saints.

BTW. Will you be putting any stickers on the 40's?

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
What do you guys think this weighs? It's a singlespeed, and the front deraileur is off now. I'll drop a bunch of weight as soon s I remove the extra cogs from the back.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Around 39.5, ill see if i can get some pics on a bike scale after i throw my new cassette and chain on.

I believe that is 39.5lbs... but I don't see how the demo on the previous page was 35.2lbs since it had coil shock as opposed to air and similar weight forks.

The demo frames are pretty heavy compared to some others.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
I believe that is 39.5lbs... but I don't see how the demo on the previous page was 35.2lbs since it had coil shock as opposed to air and similar weight forks.

The demo frames are pretty heavy compared to some others.
Patience....I'll post build specs in the next day or so if no one wants an article I wrote on the bike. The frame with shock and hardware (no axle) weighs 10.94 lbs on the nose.

And it is 35.2 lbs with a steel spring :brows:
And had I used a WC boxxer with the associated parts (headset, stem), it would be lighter :brows: :brows:

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Patience....I'll post build specs in the next day or so if no one wants an article I wrote on the bike. The frame with shock and hardware (no axle) weighs 10.94 lbs on the nose.

And it is 35.2 lbs with a steel spring :brows:
And had I used a WC boxxer with the associated parts (headset, stem), it would be lighter :brows: :brows:
Exactly the point, 10.94 lbs!!!
My jedi is 8.25 (with axle) without shock, roco wc air is 530g so add 1.1/4 lb 9.5 and mine with bxr wc is barely sub 36lbs. If you got light xc stuff on a demo then thats the most irresponsible thing Ive seen.

Ding ding "Yes Id like a life/injury policy on him", Theres NO way to go that lightt without stupid light single plys, light xc rims, cranks that come with spandex and pedals. :thumb: Just not going to happen relaibly! But parts list anywase Id be curious to see...

Still dont see it, I just looked and even with the ztr rims your maybe 100g lighter than 6.1s or 721s which are around 600g, your pedals are heavier than 363g (thats a pair twenty6) and even single ply chunders are atleast 800g.

If you take the frame difference 1.5lbs and then minus the .7lbs diffence between the jedi and yours fully built and it comes to approx 2.25 lbs difference in components and I just dont see that!

The only way it would be lighter with a bxr wc is if thats a coil totem which comes in at 6.5lbs and the air is 6.1 a bxr wc is 6.1 which is why I have to see a spec list. I have a bxr wc and a twenty6 stem as well so thats about as light as it gets!

No offense but Id seriousley try a 2nd scale before throwing it out there, I could go light xc parts and barely hit that weight adn my frames significantly lighter.

Last edited: