Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yeah your right 36 is the new 40!
beenm there now Im back up a little bit and Im good. 37-38 seems to be prime, too light and it deflects in the rocks. I like to get ontop of the rocks and carry lots of speed skipping em and at 36 It hwld a line decent no real complaints but 38 and it was stupid stable but had the equivelant of a 2.7 up front so it had some give in volume as well.
I agree. My Socom felt the best at 38-39lbs. When I had it about 35-36lbs it was a little flightly. My 951 is about 38 lbs and it feels spot on.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
a hair over 38 lbs. I wish this snow would melt.

fender

downtube protector

wire odometer... wireless never work right

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Hey Kanter you should wrap your odometer wire around your front brakeline for a cleaner look and its more secure also as it won't be likely to snag on anything. just my .02

BTW sweet rig.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Kanter, I've never had problems with wireless computers on my bikes :)
I a working on some DT protection for my Glory, as well :)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
fsa platinum pro I beat mine 2 years solid NO issues and I hammered the crap out of it.. Best BB ive ever used.
I have a set of 165s that I had on my sxt but the bb spindle is too narrow for my Demo. I have an SKF 600 which is pretty bomb proof but I can't find anyone who carries them anymore.
I will have to look into the FSA.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
FSAs have been SOLID and Chris recomends them as well.
Ive been rocking em before He recomended it was just nice when we were shooting the $ht last month it came up and he was under the same opinion as me.

Id like to get some ceramic bearings and see how much smoother it is as well as Id like to find out if they are good for pivots at all (ie load bearing). Id like to do HS, bb etc... for a smoother ride.

But yeah the fsa platinum pro is a pretty bomb proof unit....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kanter an i-beam post and i-fly or Bel Air sl will save you some weight. Nice setup. How is that hammer**** setup?
The seat is a ti-Rocket V SLT (215g) and the Thompson is short and light. I wouldnt lose much. I love the Hammer. I still pedal uphill so it was my only solution. A ton of guys run them where I live. No one has had any problems.

Hey Kanter you should wrap your odometer wire around your front brakeline for a cleaner look and its more secure also as it won't be likely to snag on anything. just my .02
BTW sweet rig.
I tried that to begin with. I had nowhere to secure the lower piece. The spokes are too far over to read the magnet. I tried a huge spacer and it look terrible.

Kanter, I've never had problems with wireless computers on my bikes :)
I a working on some DT protection for my Glory, as well :)
Really? Maybe I tried the wrong ones. They never read right for me. I was always replacing batteries too. Sometimes they wouldnt even turn on automatically even when I set them too. I have 1 or 2 in the garage that I could still try. The downtube protector has been on a couple bikes and saved the downtube. I wasnt running one on my Foes Fly and got a good sized dent in it. I run one on all my bikes now. I got this one from Go-Ride. Its heavy at around 200g. Id like to find a carbon fiber one.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Really? Maybe I tried the wrong ones. They never read right for me. I was always replacing batteries too. Sometimes they wouldnt even turn on automatically even when I set them too. I have 1 or 2 in the garage that I could still try. The downtube protector has been on a couple bikes and saved the downtube. I wasnt running one on my Foes Fly and got a good sized dent in it. I run one on all my bikes now. I got this one from Go-Ride. Its heavy at around 200g. Id like to find a carbon fiber one.
I've been using Giant computers w/o any issues :)
I've been thinking about CF guard, by from what I know, CF is fragile. I can't stand such hits, we want protect DT from. The guard has to disperse the force. I doubt CF can do this. 2-3mm alu plate with thin layer of neoprene foam could do the trick. But, the problem is... if has to look good on You 1,6-3k $ frame, too ;)

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
I tried that to begin with. I had nowhere to secure the lower piece. The spokes are too far over to read the magnet. I tried a huge spacer and it look terrible.
I just kept the cord/sensor spiral wrapped and ziptied to the brakeline so I could adjust the distance to the wheel sensor by moving the brakline inward to the wheel. I've never had a problem with that method. Good luck anyways.

Attachments

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I just kept the cord/sensor spiral wrapped and ziptied to the brakeline so I could adjust the distance to the wheel sensor by moving the brakline inward to the wheel. I've never had a problem with that method. Good luck anyways.
Now there's an idea; attach it to the brake line. I like it. Out to the garage I go.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i have 3 in my old part drawer that would disagree with you. everything from blown bearings to broken spindles.
Im surprised I have beat the crap out of mine and NO issues as well as CHris has beat his 2 seasons and no issues.
I have had more issues with outboard bearings than internal.
Hmm maybe its luck of the draw!
I had a couple of issues with truvative gigapipes quad but I was also riding the NW (crappy weather) year round rain, snow, ice, freezing etc.... So Id expect them to go belly up even with maintenance as a matter of fact Id expect almost any BB bearings to go belly up in that enviornment.

I'll rock FSA Ive had good luck so Im happy!:thumb:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
dont remember, lol it had red cups I bought it stuck it in the BB hole and never had to take it out! :D
platinum pro DH ISIS :thumb:

FRICKING BULLIT PROOF!!!
yeah can't find that one in a 73/118 that i need for my demo7. I did find the platinum pro mega quad isis bb. i guess i will try one of those. I have the MB's and they have been good to me so I would hate to get rid of them.
Been trying to decide between saints and atlas fr, might as well stick with what I know works and is fairly light.

Last edited:

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
Finally got it done...Boxxer Team, X.9 Drivetrain, Holzfeller OCT Cranks, Fox RC4 rear, Formula K18 brakes, Transition hub to ex729 wheels, Deity pedals, bars, grips. Twenty6 stem, Kenda nevegal tires. 40.7 pounds and even more beautiful than the pics show. I'm so stoked on the bike

www.urbandownfall.com

Last edited:

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Store looks great and nice bike! On the little history bit (website) you have on the right side of the screen "we know offer full lines of..." (just a little fyi)

Last edited:

mini-dub

Chimp
May 21, 2008
My Yeti 303R-dh. Fox 40 (steel spring), Fox RC4 (steel spring), Mavic ex823's laced to a DT Swiss 340 front hub and 440 rear hub, Saint cranks, Specialized magnesium pedals, Thomson elite post, SDG Ti-fly saddle, X9 derailleur/shifter, Avid Codes (203mm front, 185mm rear), Twenty6 stem, Shimano Dura-Ace cassette, Minion dhf 2.5 supertackys front/rear. Still waiting for my new white Syncros 31 bars. It weighs in right at 41 pounds. Cant wait to rip it :D

Attachments

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
ISIS and bullet proof, why do i smell a porky pie.
I beat the snot out of an SKF 600 bb for over 2 years and it is still going strong. Only reason i am not running it now is because i have a new frame and it does not fit.
I am going to try the FSA bb unless I find a wider SKF 600. Going to sell my Atlas FR and go back to my trusty Middleburns.

ISIS.......f.outboard