Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
Finally got it done...Boxxer Team, X.9 Drivetrain, Holzfeller OCT Cranks, Fox RC4 rear, Formula K18 brakes, Transition hub to ex729 wheels, Deity pedals, bars, grips. Twenty6 stem, Kenda nevegal tires. 40.7 pounds and even more beautiful than the pics show. I'm so stoked on the bike

www.urbandownfall.com
Stoked you finally got it built up, looking forward to hearing your impressions when you've had the chance to get a few rides in. I'm loving mine so far, cant wait to hit the trails tomorrow and Friday (My weekend this week...)

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
Why nevegals on a pure bred like that? Otherwise that 450 is so sick.
have you ridden the new ones? I'm in utah, so during atleast this time of the year to june i'll need a super nobby tire. i like them because they're lighter, cheaper, and work atleast as well as the minion. such a good alternative. the only thing they aren't as good as is shedding mud

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
Stoked you finally got it built up, looking forward to hearing your impressions when you've had the chance to get a few rides in. I'm loving mine so far, cant wait to hit the trails tomorrow and Friday (My weekend this week...)
yeah dude for you. I'm lucky enough to head down to the rampage site this weekend and am not gonna huck, but do some of the dh trails. Just the parking lot test makes it feel amazing. i just have a feeling i'm going to be able to corner amazing with this bike...oh goto mtbr.com's transition forum and throw yours up on the offical tr450 thread i started

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Blaming outboard in general is a little bit of a copout. The bearings themselves are larger (especially if you go with a 24mm id design) and are sealed at at east as well as cartrage BBs. The huge downfall, is that External bbs allow the user to set the bearing preload where cartrage bbs have the preload correctly set from the factory.

The shimano system is the best in this regard as they only provide you with a plastic knob to set the crank bolt, but if you reef on that (as most will), you can very easily overtorque and kill the bearings in no time. If that know was made of marshmallow, it would be the correct too to set bearing preload...it NEEDS to be THAT light if you want tat type of bearings to last at all.

The RF system is by far the worst...shims and elastomers in conjunction with a preload bolt that needs 60 foot pounds of torque (incorreclty listed as 60ft/lb by RF :think:)

Systems like FSA uses are in between. THey have at least intelignetly though about making arm retainment and bearing adjustment independant, but they do provide a beefy aluminum preload bolt with a 5 or 6 mm hex...just BEGGING fo the overzealous mechanic to completely mash the bearings.

Removing ALL axial play from a cartrage gearing design WILL kill it. They are not designed for this (nor are the smaller, and lower load bearing versions that come in cartrage BBs...but they last).

Middleburns and ISIS (or square) are very nicely built, but the bbs last because they remove one adjustment from the hands of humans, and have computers to it instead.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
davep not blaming outboard just throwing it back at everyone that says isis sucks. Only Isis bb's i have destroyed are Truvativ ones. I have had luck with RF and love SKF bb's.
only problem SKF does not make an isis bb for 83mm or wider bb's and they are a bit heavy. When they last over 2 yrs and still run smooth I will take the extra weight penalty. A good dump will lose that weight in other places....lol

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
But outboard look better and we all know that deep down every downhiller is a bitch for fancy looking stuff, even though it isn't nessarily superior. ;)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
davep not blaming outboard just throwing it back at everyone that says isis sucks. Only Isis bb's i have destroyed are Truvativ ones. I have had luck with RF and love SKF bb's.
only problem SKF does not make an isis bb for 83mm or wider bb's and they are a bit heavy. When they last over 2 yrs and still run smooth I will take the extra weight penalty. A good dump will lose that weight in other places....lol
Understood, and I did not really mean to aim that at you in particular, I just think a LOT of people (mechanics included) dont quite understand how susceptable radial cartrage bearings are to side loads, and some of the external design(ers) dont seem to grasp it either. Proper understanding of the mechanical sytems. tolerances, materials would go a long way in reducing the oversimplified idea that externals just dont last...

I have never really had problems with ISIS either. RF north shore arms, a solid multi bearing bb, and proper instation (bolt torque) and that was it. The only thing that really forced me to change, is the old 5 bolt BCD.

I have to go way back to square taper to have any significant crank/bb issues. Quality arms like Campy record last for ever (when sugino, shimano, suntour,etc would all bend like butter), but finding a square taper bb that would not twist (spindle) in a month or two was not easy.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
They are ready to install now! Weighed and on the table now.

Middleburns with 83mm FSA BB and crank bolts
The set

And Dave Myself included is not saying outboards suck, I back ISIS as Ive had good luck with the FSA I have not had squat for luck with truvative gigapipe though. As far as outboard bearings its easy to see how they can not be torqued right and cause issues or use materials that dont support the movement right and allow for some rotation which could lead to failure as well.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
where did you get your Middys from? I am thinking about puting a set of 170s on my Double.

Just waiting on my bb for my Demo..
BRIAN HCM on here I bought my last set from him as well. I get mt BBs from him as well makes it easier.
I go to B because he hooks it up, I know it gets shipped ASAP and its always as described. Basically I trust Brian!:thumb:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
BRIAN HCM on here I bought my last set from him as well. I get mt BBs from him as well makes it easier.
I go to B because he hooks it up, I know it gets shipped ASAP and its always as described. Basically I trust Brian!:thumb:
is he a dealer or just has hook ups with them? Would I be able to buy from him and if so how do i get intouch with him?

Thanks

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
My ride for this year, waiting on some triple compound Schwalbe big bettys and am getting an angled reducer to slacken it off when R2R release theirs this month.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My ride for this year, waiting on some triple compound Schwalbe big bettys and am getting an angled reducer to slacken it off when R2R release theirs this month.
holy crap, there's dirt on your bike!!!???? what the hell is that doing there?

looks great, dude. like the color combo.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Hahahaha, my routine goes somewhat like :Ride-Bike in shed-Ride-Bike in shed-Ride-Cranks wont turn-Quick spray-Bike in shed-Ride-and so on!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Actually about 100g heavier than a XT. Closer in weight to Saint - albeit about 70g lighter.
heres a 73mm xtm760 748g 3 rings NO BB take the rings off minus maybe 100g add bb add 125g and thats 73mm not 83mm which is a bit heavier.

I had a set 73mm xtm760s and If i remember correctly they came in at 740 or 750g with arms, bb, spider and bolt. I know the middys arent much off and would be right on par with a 73mm BB. The 83mm BB adds a bit of heft in steel alone. As do the crank bolts which Im going lighter bolts these are like 40g just for the heavy crank bolts.

Ill take a middleburn cold forged crank!!! BEEFY designed for DH and incredibly tough at a XT weight! :D

Either way I liked my Xts they were good light and worked for what they were.

Both are good choices, Ill take my cake and eat it too at this point light and strong...:D

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The weights I quoted were not speculative. They were off Sicklines - he has weights without the rings. If you like the Middleburns that's cool. I was just giving accurate weight comparisons.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The weights I quoted were not speculative. They were off Sicklines - he has weights without the rings. If you like the Middleburns that's cool. I was just giving accurate weight comparisons.
Dont mind me Im PMS'n, been a long day and had a chance to ride that got all shot to crap with responsabilities and arguing with verizon!

Not my style to conflict so dont take my post as that if it came off that way sorry! :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
sent you an e-mail
thanks
Brians the man, Im digging mine. Put em on yesterday and lovin it!
Running a janky ring till I go pick up my other ring tomorrow.

BTW: Schwalbe Dirty Dans (spike) ROCK!!!!!!!!!! I called today and have another set on the way as back up.
Sorry sat here looking at em and thinking about how well they did and "Hell yeah" im excited!:thumb:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
For those of you that don't know about Middleburn cranks, they are the best isis crank period but usually difficult to get. Matter of fact to me they are the best DH crank. Light weight, stiff, lifetime warranty and great looking.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
For those of you that don't know about Middleburn cranks, they are the best isis crank period but usually difficult to get. Matter of fact to me they are the best DH crank. Light weight, stiff, lifetime warranty and great looking.
Yeah, for their part, Middleburns are good cranks. Mine lasted three years before the splines wore out to the point I couldn't stop the crank from moving on the axle. Trouble is, the splines and pedal threads are NOT covered under lifetime warranty. Good cranks, but that needs to be made clear.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah, for their part, Middleburns are good cranks. Mine lasted three years before the splines wore out to the point I couldn't stop the crank from moving on the axle. Trouble is, the splines and pedal threads are NOT covered under lifetime warranty. Good cranks, but that needs to be made clear.
any pics ?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
37.15 lbs with steel spring and 823s! Not too bad and not done!

Spec:
XL Canfield Jedi (no med weights here)
Vivid 5.1 (getting tuned for this season at Marz, will drop another 3/4lb minimum)
450lb STEEL spring
Thomson post
Sunline ti saddle
Middleburn cranks
fsa plat pro BB (83mm)
Canfield Crampon pedals
Mavic 823s laced to super duty hubs and heavy gauge spokes (going with a lighter wheelset)
2010 Boxxer WC
Twenty6 integrated stem
?headset? (Getting a king)
ODI loc ons rogue
diety dirty thirty bars (full length)
Avid code brakes (Going formuls the ones)
THE proline downtube fender
Schwalbe 2.5 GG Muddy mary freeride front (Like a 2.7 maxxis size)
Schwalbe 2.35 triple Muddy Mary freeride rear (like a 2.5 maxxis)
X9 shift/der (going X0 der)
XT casette (going XTR)

Fender, valve caps, and 3 scoops of stans per tire included on weight; Literally complete!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Trouble is, the splines and pedal threads are NOT covered under lifetime warranty. Good cranks, but that needs to be made clear.
It would be nice if there was a reasonable amount of coverage for those items. Problem is theres too much room for neglect from people not tightening their cranks or BB just ride and hammering them.
So if they had a reasonable amount of error to cover them that would be great.