Quantcast

40rc2 Problem

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
So, my 40 makes this clicking noise when it is compressed to about 3-4". this noise occurs at the same point, every time compressed. Also, it makes a rattling noise as if something inside the fork may be loose or worn out. Normally I do all my bike maintenence myself and have rebuilt a boxxer fork before, but I don't really know that much about fork internals and rebuilding them. In this case I would like to be able to fix it myself but I'm pretty paranoid about doing it the wrong way, and would rather have it rebuilt by someone who has done it before and knows what they are doing. Has anyone had a similar problem before? Should I just sent it in for a rebuild? Could this be really expensive to fix?:help:

-Chris

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It is just your spring knocking against the inside of the stanchion. If you open the fork, you will most likely find the shrink-wrap on the spring is either missing or has moved.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is it possible to just replace the shrink-wrap? If so, would i have to order it from fox?
Yeah, it's super easy. Just take the spring out, and measure it's outer diameter. Go to a hardware store, and buy some appropriatly sized shrink wrap. Go home, put about 4" of wrap over the middle of the spring, and go at it with a hair dryer or something similar.

It may also be the case that the shrink wrap has shifted a bit. You can often more or less thread it up the spring. If you try this, it's probably a good idea to heat it up a little and try to shrink it some more.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
As of now, I just finished shrink wrapping the spring. With the wrap in the middle as recommended it definately muffles the rattle, but it is far from gone. I tried various other placements of shrink wrap on the spring as well, and so far have had no luck eliminating the rattle... :huh: What would be the best thing to try at this point?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
As of now, I just finished shrink wrapping the spring. With the wrap in the middle as recommended it definately muffles the rattle, but it is far from gone. I tried various other placements of shrink wrap on the spring as well, and so far have had no luck eliminating the rattle... :huh: What would be the best thing to try at this point?
I'd say either get some thicker shring wrap, or stop caring.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I'd say either get some thicker shring wrap, or stop caring.
I have this clear shrink wrap that was the thickest I could find at the store, and the most rubber-like. All the others were thinner and more brittle. I was thinking of maybe putting 2 layers of the shrink wrap...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have this clear shrink wrap that was the thickest I could find at the store, and the most rubber-like. All the others were thinner and more brittle. I was thinking of maybe putting 2 layers of the shrink wrap...
Sure, why not.