Quantcast

41 years

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
C9ngrats!

I'd like to hear about you NA beverage choices.
I've significntly scaled back my etoh consumption.
Wine when out for a good dinner, beer otherwise.

Most of the NA beer options I've tried taste like malty ass. Ugh.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
C9ngrats!

Wife has been occasionally having a NA beer that she likes compared to her normal IPA, I'll ask her what it is.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
C9ngrats!

Gruvi makes a good dark and an IPA with zero % alcohol. Athletic brewing has a good hazy IPA. And Hellraiser dark amber are my go to choices

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Gruvi makes a good dark and an IPA with zero % alcohol. Athletic brewing has a good hazy IPA. And Hellraiser dark amber are my go to choices
Thanks! I've tried a couple of the Athletic brews, not that one.

Will look for the others.

Just do not care for the heavy malt taste of most I've tried.

Imbibing more zero cal seltzer.

Like (and want more) low cal low ABV session stuff.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Thanks! I've tried a couple of the Athletic brews, not that one.

Will look for the others.

Just do not care for the heavy malt taste of most I've tried.

Imbibing more zero cal seltzer.

Like (and want more) low cal low ABV session stuff.
Honest question, why drink NA beer at all? I have vastly cut my alcohol consumption out as well. With out the joy/buzz what have you I really don’t see any point in drinking beer. I never drank because it tasted good, I drank to get shit hammered.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Honest question, why drink NA beer at all? I have vastly cut my alcohol consumption out as well. With out the joy/buzz what have you I really don’t see any point in drinking beer. I never drank because it tasted good, I drank to get shit hammered.
I could give two shits about getting drunk, actually scratch that, I hate getting drunk. I’m down with the occasional buzz, but beyond that it sucks. I do however love an ice cold pile of beers on a hot day, NA beer can thread that needle. I also try not to drink soda, so that leaves me with ice tea (sweet tea and flavored can go fuck itself) and water as beverage choices when I’m driving, NA beer can be a solid choice for those situations as well. There’s some legitimately good NA beers these days, Heineken 0/0 isn’t half bad and comes in cans, I dig it for River/lake/pool days, kill a 12 pack and still be 100% functional, win!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I could give two shits about getting drunk, actually scratch that, I hate getting drunk. I’m down with the occasional buzz, but beyond that it sucks. I do however love an ice cold pile of beers on a hot day, NA beer can thread that needle. I also try not to drink soda, so that leaves me with ice tea (sweet tea and flavored can go fuck itself) and water as beverage choices when I’m driving, NA beer can be a solid choice for those situations as well. There’s some legitimately good NA beers these days, Heineken 0/0 isn’t half bad and comes in cans, I dig it for River/lake/pool days, kill a 12 pack and still be 100% functional, win!
I tried the Heineken...I thought it was OK. Guiness NA tastes like shit

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I actually kind of like the Heineken NA. The Gruvi stuff is okay. I stumbled across a half rack mix pack of Brooklyn beer works (I think that was the name of the place) a while back that had some good stuff in it, but some pretty shitty stuff too. While I could definitely drink most of them, there was definitely something kind of.......missing, that I couldn't quite put my finger on, and I don't mean the alcohol. It's just not quite right if your expecting beer, IMO

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I actually kind of like the Heineken NA. The Gruvi stuff is okay. I stumbled across a half rack mix pack of Brooklyn beer works (I think that was the name of the place) a while back that had some good stuff in it, but some pretty shitty stuff too. While I could definitely drink most of them, there was definitely something kind of.......missing, that I couldn't quite put my finger on, and I don't mean the alcohol. It's just not quite right if your expecting beer, IMO
I like the Gruvi Dark the best but also the fact That I can roll down the road drinking it at 0% ABV

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Congratulations!

also kombucha is a good NA choice, carbonated, vast array of flavors, low calorie, good for you.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Been sober since July 10 1981
Wow, I don’t have the proper word’s? Let me try in Arabic. Mabruk Habibie! Congratulation My Friend.

It must have been a very a difficult road you have been on. I hope not as difficult as the the road you got off of.

Avy

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Wow, I don’t have the proper word’s? Let me try in Arabic. Mabruk Habibie! Congratulation My Friend.

It must have been a very a difficult road you have been on. I hope not as difficult as the the road you got off of.

Avy
the sober road is easy in comparison. If I had followed the other path I would be dead or in prison a long time ago.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Wife says the Run Wild was really good, she just got some Upside Dawn at the store today.

I might be biased but it tastes like tonic water gone bad, like all american non-alcoholic beers. :cray:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If any of you homebrew, White Labs offers now a really good non alcohol producing yeast: Torulaspora delbrueckii (WLP603). A student of mine did a small project to see which malts work best for it and if it produces alcohol with any.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’m also a fan of the free wave. Deschutes makes a black butte porter in NA that’s not too bad. Oddly enough the free wave is available all around bend but is San Diego where it’s made I don’t see it on shelves as much.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Congrats, Eric!

Finding a replacement for booze in restaurants is the biggest challenge. Soda, sweet tea or juice with dinner? GTFO. I generally just do sparkling water. Sadly, some places in the US can’t even figure that out. Maybe I need to revisit NA beer as an option…

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
C9ngrats!

If you can find a Czech beer shop Czechs have a long history of NA beers that are decent.

Also some companies are experimenting with NA spirit substitutes. If you look around you might find some. Probably useless as shots but I bet it's possible to imitate a pseudo old fashioned without %

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you can find a Czech beer shop Czechs have a long history of NA beers that are decent.

Also some companies are experimenting with NA spirit substitutes. If you look around you might find some. Probably useless as shots but I bet it's possible to imitate a pseudo old fashioned without %
There is an NA "bar" that is trying to open that is an interesting concept. They aren't offering food yet, so $90 for 2 people and 3 drinks seemed a bit much. But I like the idea of creative cocktails that are NA.