Quantcast

411 on the Crested Butte race on 6/26?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Basically looking for an approx schedule for race times, awards ceremony, etc, as the race is on a Sunday....in Colorado...and I'm in South Dakota and have to work on Monday at 4:00 AM!

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Seems to me, awards usually wrap up around 6pm Sunday for DH. If memory Serves, it's approx 6 Hours to the Mount Rushmore area from Boulder, and another 4 to Crested Butte. So IF I'm right, that would mean you would get home in time! :thumb:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Bikerpunk241 said:
Seems to me, awards usually wrap up around 6pm Sunday for DH. If memory Serves, it's approx 6 Hours to the Mount Rushmore area from Boulder, and another 4 to Crested Butte. So IF I'm right, that would mean you would get home in time! :thumb:
That would be great...if I lived br Rushmore!!! :help:
Unfortunately, I live 6 hours to the RIGHT of the Black Hills on the eastern, flat side of the state! I'm screwed. Might just have to skip the awards and just go for the thrill. I was pretending the awards woulkd end at approx 3:00 pm, and then I could haul ass home, add a stupid hour for the damn time change, and just get dropped off right at work. should make for an interesting day at work!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
THRILLSEEKA said:
That would be great...if I lived br Rushmore!!! :help:
Unfortunately, I live 6 hours to the RIGHT of the Black Hills on the eastern, flat side of the state! I'm screwed. Might just have to skip the awards and just go for the thrill. I was pretending the awards woulkd end at approx 3:00 pm, and then I could haul ass home, add a stupid hour for the damn time change, and just get dropped off right at work. should make for an interesting day at work!
Maybe you should find a job in Crested Butte...... :think:

dwj

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
colorado
freerider154 said:
Any you guys know if this race is pretty kick ass or not? Me and Thrillseeka are headed there early Friday morning. Can't Wait!
i've heard from reliable sources that the course is pretty mellow with a significant uphill section in the middle. so if it's a full on bone crushing dh course you want this probably isn't the race. there is some hope that they will be changing the dh course for this year.

i'm going anyway. i've heard the course is fun for what it is. i'm throwing the skinny tires on the v10 and hoping i remember how to pedal.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
dwj said:
i've heard from reliable sources that the course is pretty mellow with a significant uphill section in the middle. so if it's a full on bone crushing dh course you want this probably isn't the race. there is some hope that they will be changing the dh course for this year.

i'm going anyway. i've heard the course is fun for what it is. i'm throwing the skinny tires on the v10 and hoping i remember how to pedal.
Doug you have a V10? Sweet. :) I'm gonna bring mine but should I bring my AC also?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Mellow is a good word to describe the course. Except for the steep technical section at the top, the course could easily be SuperD material. Still a blast to ride!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hmmm...well, it HAS to be better than the 46 second "DH" race they are holding here in my town on the same weekend, no? It's one of those downhill races where you roll to a stop if you quit pedaling. And no jumps because someone "might get hurt." Good grief.
Basically, I guess we both want to know if it's worth a 12-13 hour drive, even though I would go just to get out of town. And I probably won't race, I just want to play on Saturday!

OH- Any of you know if we could have a sub stick around and grab a trophy for Freerider if he does place??? I know you have to be there to claim the prize, but we HAVE to be on the road and hauling ass back home by 3:00 on Sunday or two of us are jobless by Monday morning!

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
THRILLSEEKA said:
How long would you guys say the course is, in minutes and miles?
Last year the winning pro time was 4:41, couldn't tell ya how many miles the course was. But because there is a new promoter this year, it's possible that the course could be different. Nobody knows.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Fastest Pro time last year was 4:41, Expert times were high 4:50's through low 6:00's if that gives you an idea. A buddy of mine called the resort a couple of days ago and the "official word" is thatthe track will have the same start and finish, but will have "new features" in between, so take that for what it's worth.

Fresh.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If Vail's opener is anything like Keystone's, be prepared to ride the service roads in order to get to the lower portions of the mountian. That'd be due to the remaining snow on top.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
SkaredShtles said:
If that happens, look at it as an opportunity. :D
I'm not some kid workin' for gas money any more, bro, I'm 32, married 10 years, and have two little girls to take care of. That, and I HIGHLY doubt a race called "Wildflower Rush" is worth losing any job over! :nuts:

And Pau11y, I'm all about that! I'm trying to get Freerider154 to switch songs right now!
Any stunts set up at Vail? I know they have fast, flowing, long runs, which would be absolutely killer since that's what we're trying to build here...somewhere... :(

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah, but I know how that stuff goes: 3:00 means everyone starts rolling in about then, it kicks off at about 4ish, drags on a few hours until someone finally decides that it's over. If we go, we'll just have to call it quits when we need to go.

dwj

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
colorado
THRILLSEEKA said:
Yeah, but I know how that stuff goes: 3:00 means everyone starts rolling in about then, it kicks off at about 4ish, drags on a few hours until someone finally decides that it's over. If we go, we'll just have to call it quits when we need to go.
you guys are making a big deal about this awards buisness. unless you are racing pro award means a plaque or medal. and they only hand those out to the top three. i'm sure you can find someone to pick up your "award" and bring it to the next race. i'll pick it up for you if you want. if you place in pro or semi-slow i'll pick up your pittance buy a six pack and mail you the empties.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
dwj said:
you guys are making a big deal about this awards buisness. unless you are racing pro award means a plaque or medal. and they only hand those out to the top three. i'm sure you can find someone to pick up your "award" and bring it to the next race. i'll pick it up for you if you want. if you place in pro or semi-slow i'll pick up your pittance buy a six pack and mail you the empties.
That's good to know. I just have no idea what to expect, you know? I hate to drag him that far to leave with nothing. but I do think he is just mostly after getting his foot in the racing door and gaining a little insight. That, and we both want to just go really fast down a steep hill, I just do it for the thrill!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
SkaredShtles said:
I'll bet they'd like living in Crested Butte better than the Dakotas. ;)
Doubt it. Too many damn yuppies in CO. It's like the most cliche' thing on the planet to do: "I wanna get closer to nature, let's pack up everything and struggle to survive in a place we will soon take for granted...!" I'll take Spearfish South Dakota over CO any day. Atleast there my biggest hassle would be the hippies at 4:19. I can just toss a pot leaf in the ditch and watch 'em scurry like little roaches that need showers...
Well, it's on, we're going, see you on the mountain. We'll be the two idiots on our knees crying in front of the ski lifts!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
THRILLSEEKA said:
Doubt it. Too many damn yuppies in CO. It's like the most cliche' thing on the planet to do: "I wanna get closer to nature, let's pack up everything and struggle to survive in a place we will soon take for granted...!" I'll take Spearfish South Dakota over CO any day.
Uhhhhhhhh.....

OK.

<shrug>

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
On other trails: Are you referring to stuff on Mt. Crested Butte (lift assisted)? I assume they'll be open. Angel Fire still had their other stuff open. Keystone always has their other trails open.

On Camping: Sounds like the *official* word is no parking in the parking lots at the base. BUT I know a couple of guys who still are. If you've ever been to CB in the summer, several hotel/motel joints close down in the winter. Creating huge empty lots. Hint Hint, wink wink, knudge knudge.

But if you're into REAL camping in trees and what-not, just keep driving up the road the goes by Mt. Crested Butte towards Gothic (it'll turn into a dirt road). There's a bunch of camping up that road. Ask one of the several hippies you're more than likely to run into.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
SylentK said:
<snip>
But if you're into REAL camping in trees and what-not, just keep driving up the road the goes by Mt. Crested Butte towards Gothic (it'll turn into a dirt road). There's a bunch of camping up that road. Ask one of the several hippies you're more than likely to run into.
Yup. Also Brush Creek road, Cement Creek road, and Slate Creek road. All very quickly revert to FS land and there should be adequate camping.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
SylentK said:
...Ask one of the several hippies you're more than likely to run into.
Damn! There's no escape! :help:

I don't really care where I sleep, but I'll be in a Jeep freaking Liberty with 2 other guys and a big Chow-Chow...Not exactly a New York apartment, but it's still going to be a little cramped! That, and that damn Chow always eats the wrong things at night...if you know what I mean. i.e.: Crack a window!
Anyone know what a small room right there at the resort runs? I'm assuming it will be packed, and I'm also assuming they won't let me sleep with my bike in the bed next to me?
Thanks for all the help guys, By this time tomorrow, I should be screaming down a (hopefully) muddy slope!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
SWEET! Well, we went, we gasped at the 12,000 feet of increase in altitude!!!!, and I came home with a 1st in my class! I wasn't even going to race, but they wouldn't let me on the lift unless I entered. From there, after having been forced down that rock slide by my crew, I decided to race. It was fun, but I REALLY wished I would have gotten more practice runs in! I got one run in on Saturday, then blew a front tire RIGHT before the starting line of the course and got to hike aaaaalll the way down that damn rock!
Any of you see/meet me? I was the guy on the silver AS-X in the DNZ jersey...? I was usually bent over trying to get my lungs to expand! I had to pick up smoking because the air was just too thin!

Oh, and we did camp at Cement Creek.. WOW! Absolutely perfect and gorgeous! They(the hippie hosts kinda' handling the place)talked to the Forest Service and next race they are shutting down the site to all non-racers and having a party! Kick ass! Bonfire and all, should be pretty sweet!