Quantcast

44:16 vs. compact drive for street

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
okay, i'm still a newbie to bmx, so learning is taking it's toll on my bike. i didn't go all out when buying my current bike because i knew i was going to damage stuff as i learned. i am running a normal 3/32" chain and 44:16 gearing and only ride street. sprocket stalls are starting to take their toll on my flimsy ring so i was looking to upgrade to a thick ring and an oversized chain so i don't risk walking home every time i mess up an abubaca or stall on a spine. while i'm changing my drivetrain should i stick with 44:16 or should i go with compact drive (36:13 or 39:14)? i know brake clearance is an issue with compact but are there any other drawbacks to this setup? are smaller freewheels weaker?

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
you need to use a cassette hub (not sure if u knew that or not) for one, but i guess smaller sprocket = lighter bike. the setup i use is a 43t standard bash sprocket and normal sized chain with 16t freewheel. works great for sprocket tricks. if you do go with the 36t sprocket check out the ebco, trends got em. www.trendbmx.com
and to answer you last question smaller freewheels aren't weaker

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
hey thanks, i didn't know you needed a cassette hub. i never really knew too much about compact drive, thanks for pointing that out. looks like i'm stickin to 44:16 and just replacing my ring with a thicker one when it gives up.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
if you're doing disasters and sprocket chunks on concrete i'd highly recommend a ring with a guard, somthing along the lines of fbm, standard or arsenel. that way you don't have to worry about you're chain braking and you can use a lighter normal sized chain. my .02

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
You don't have to run a cassette hub to run a compact gearing. If you can get a hub that is a flip-flop variety, you can run a 14t freewheel on the smaller side and keep the same gearing as your 44/16.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
Originally posted by Metal
You don't have to run a cassette hub to run a compact gearing. If you can get a hub that is a flip-flop variety, you can run a 14t freewheel on the smaller side and keep the same gearing as your 44/16.
yup, you can run a flip flop hub with 14t..i think even 13, but im not sure. the gearing stays about tthe same with 44:16, 39:14, 36:13 i think...i think maybe bmxonline.com has a chart of gearing ratios..but not sure about that either, i know i saw a chart somewhere. as for stnadard vs. compact, the main reason to go compact is that it saves about a pound of weight (i know this is BMX, not XC, but BMX bikes can get up to 38lbs easily with fairly heavy parts) and a compact chainring is stronger (because it is smaller) staandard, you will be fine if you run a good ring...there is quite a few good ones out there... i like my FBM, Terrible 1 makes a nice sprocket....kink, S&M, animal...and many others. danscomp.com has most everything you will need. and with a good strong sprocket and a 3/16 chain, you dont really need a bashring, although it isnt a bad idea. i woulld definatly say to go to a 3/16 chain though.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by axel

yup, you can run a flip flop hub with 14t..i think even 13, but im not sure. the gearing stays about tthe same with 44:16, 39:14, 36:13 i think...i think maybe bmxonline.com has a chart of gearing ratios..but not sure about that either, i know i saw a chart somewhere. as for stnadard vs. compact, the main reason to go compact is that it saves about a pound of weight (i know this is BMX, not XC, but BMX bikes can get up to 38lbs easily with fairly heavy parts) and a compact chainring is stronger (because it is smaller) staandard, you will be fine if you run a good ring...there is quite a few good ones out there... i like my FBM, Terrible 1 makes a nice sprocket....kink, S&M, animal...and many others. danscomp.com has most everything you will need. and with a good strong sprocket and a 3/16 chain, you dont really need a bashring, although it isnt a bad idea. i woulld definatly say to go to a 3/16 chain though.
another thing to throw out there is a sprocket w/bashguard and a normal chain tends to be lighter than a 3/32" chain. bigger chains sometimes wear down the teeth on some sprocket and freewheels. do what ya like...

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
You need a cassete hub to run a 36/13 combo but a flip flop hub will allow a 39/14. Both of those are virtually identical to 44/16. The other benefit of a compact drive setup is the added stability when you land on your sprocket. If you have a flip flop hub just get a 14 tooth freewheel and a 39 tooth ring, with a bashguard and a normal BMX chain. I like the looks of the Kink ring with a Kink "park" guard. Good luck!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
That with all this street riding talk, you would probably be riding on oversized axles and I don't know of any company that has a flip flop hub with oversized axles:confused:...I don't think there are any as f/f hubs are primarily designed for racing......So if you really want to go compact you are going to have to spend a lot of dough getting a cassette hub and front spocket....Is it really worth it??

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i noticed it was tough finding any 48-hole f/f hubs, and all of them were 3/8" axles. i honestly can't justify the need for a new cassette hub because i like my current wheels and hubs. if it ain't broke don't fix it. i dunno if i do enough sprocket stalls (stalls, not chunks, not grinds) to justify a bashguard so i will just get a beefier ring and chain. thanks for all your help guys.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
Originally posted by bru
i noticed it was tough finding any 48-hole f/f hubs, and all of them were 3/8" axles. i honestly can't justify the need for a new cassette hub because i like my current wheels and hubs. if it ain't broke don't fix it. i dunno if i do enough sprocket stalls (stalls, not chunks, not grinds) to justify a bashguard so i will just get a beefier ring and chain. thanks for all your help guys.
yup, you should be fine with a bigger chain and beefier ring, it works fine for me.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Schwinn used to make a hub that was 14mm and flip flop. It was called the "Down Drive" or something like that.

Originally posted by BMXman
That with all this street riding talk, you would probably be riding on oversized axles and I don't know of any company that has a flip flop hub with oversized axles:confused:...I don't think there are any as f/f hubs are primarily designed for racing......So if you really want to go compact you are going to have to spend a lot of dough getting a cassette hub and front spocket....Is it really worth it??

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Originally posted by axel
oh, and what ring did you decide to go with?
dunno yet. my current one is still alive. i keep straighting the teeth with big rocks i find around the skatepark. i just started working in another shop so i'll see what they have to offer....

too broke to buy stuff if it don't REALLY need it

1664 stuff is readily available around here (somewhat local company) so i might go with that