Quantcast

44mm headset help

phase

Chimp
Sep 6, 2011
antioch
hi.
im purchasing a 2011 transition bottlerocket. this frame comes with a tapered headtube. problem is that the fork i want to stick on it has a 1.5 steertube. my question is, is this possible if i use the top assembly from this headset - Nuke Proof Warhead 44EEOS-DC Headset 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
and combine it with a 1.5 cup for the bottom?

the inner diameter of both frame and that headset ar both 44mm. but the headset states that it fits a 1.5 steertube.

here is a link for the frame
http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_BottleRocket.cfm

edit: i have done some more reasearch and now i am shure that this headset will work. but it is now discontinued.

i found some info about a cane creek XX 44mm Traditional headset, but cant find where to purchase it.

would anyone point me to the right direction of finding another headset that will work for my needs. thanks :thumb:

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
So a quick breakdown in mountain bikes right now we have a few active standards defined in the following ways by numbers

34- this a standard 1-1/8 traditional external headset. runs a 1-1/8 fork in a 1-1/8 headtube (Often still refered to as 1-1/8 as opposed to 34)

44- this an internal version of the above headset still runs a 1-1/8 fork but in a frame with a slightly larger diameter headtube this allows the bearing to be recessed in the frame for a lower stack height more stiffness and a cleaner simpler headset

49- this is your typical 1.5 headset runs a 1.5 fork in a 1.5 headtube. (often refered to as 1.5)

56- this is an internal version of the 1.5 functions in the same way the 44 did for the 1-1/8.

The tapered steerer tube on the bottlerocket is a
49 bottom half and 44 upper
half this is one common taper
the other is a
56 bottom 44 top.

to run a 1.5 fork your headtube dimensions at the top (where the headtube is smallest) need to be at LEAST the 49 standard. there are some prototype one off headsets that will allow the use of a 1.5 fork in a 44 frame but they are few and far between and sparsely available.

The 34, 44, 49, and 56 refer to a rounded measurement of the internal headtube diameter.

Cane Creek has a full breakdown of this in extreme detail on their site.

phase

Chimp
Sep 6, 2011
antioch
thanks for clearing that up. the nukeproof one that i stated first would have worked because the bearing sits outside of the cup. im really surprised that is the only one made. im starting to think that i should sell my 1.5 fork and get a tapered. :( oh well. thanks

phase

Chimp
Sep 6, 2011
antioch
problem is that this frame is a crash replacement, which i want to transfer parts to, from the old one. the old frame had a 1.5 headtube so i had a totem 1.5 in it. this new frame has a tapered headtube. i would love to just transfer parts over but, by the looks of it, i will need a new fork. or at least a top assembly with steerer and stanction

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've got the nukeproof 44eeos (1.5" steerer in 44mm cups), and yeah, seems to be the only one of it's type out there currently. crc shows them in stock though.

phase

Chimp
Sep 6, 2011
antioch
i've got the nukeproof 44eeos (1.5" steerer in 44mm cups), and yeah, seems to be the only one of it's type out there currently. crc shows them in stock though.
:shocked: HECK YEAH! ORDERED! thanks alot. im gussing crc took it off the site and posted it again under the warehouse clearance. thanks so much. i though im in a hole. :thumb::thumb: