Quantcast

48 spoke rear hub question

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I need a rear hub for my sinister r-9 frame
my rim is a 48 spoke
who makes a 48 spoke hub in a 12mm thru axel?
or is there a company that could custom make me a hub?
thanks for any help

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
What you want is a Funn HuraGura. 48 spoke, and can be set up for 12mm throughaxle.
I run one myself, as part of their 24x48 wheelset, on my urban bike. Strongest wheelset I've ever beat on, but not light at all.

You might find that 48 spokes on the R9 is a bit much, what are you planning on doing with it?!

FUNN hubs/wheels

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
thanks guys for the info
do u think that 48 spoke wheels will be too heavy?
i ordered some halo SAS combat rims in a 36 spoke but they sent me the wrong ones, they sent me 48 spoke ones, i was thinkin that'd be ok but what u u guys think about 48 spoke wheels?

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
depends on what you're doing I guess, and how big your wheels are. Are they the 24" or the 26"? Althought I really can't imagine something big enough to justify the use of anything more than 36h (especially on 24") theres always some nutjob out there redefining the sport and making things interesting. If you decide that 36h might not be enough, you could always consider running 48h in the rear and 36h up front to save yourself a little bit of weight.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
My opinion? 48s are overkill for an R9.
Get a replacement rim, and lace to a 32/36 hub.

I run a set of 24"-48s on my urban, but only because I wanted a bombproof wheelset for in the park: trying 360s, off-camber landings on ramps, situations where even a 36 would get quickly thrashed... On an R9 You have 9" to take the abuse, and it's not the kind of bike you will be trying 360s with.

And about the SAS, I run them myself on my R9. They are a great rim, but fairly soft alloy, and get dinged easy. Make sure you run a decent about of air in your tires (a little more than normal) and they will last a long time. Make sure you get the SAS, as opposed to the normal Combat.
A 36 is more than enough for freeriding your bike. I switch mine up between 32 and 36 wheelsets, depending on how nasty/fast the race course is, and if I'm racing or doing beer shuttles with buddies.

Check the pic in my sig, R9 w/SAS.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
i plan on racing dh with this bike so it sounds like the 48 spoke halo rims are overkill, the company i ordered the rims from (BTI) can't take em back because they are "not stocked anymore". So i might be stuck with em, not sure, but is the halo combat SAS a good dh racing rim in the 36 spoke format?
If not can u point me at a good light dh racing rim
thanks

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
The SAS is a fine rim, but like I said, keep your tire pressure up. It is a bit heavy, but will handle everything you want it too. I race mine with 32, and use 36 for playing around.
A great alternative would be Mavic's EX729, or whatever the hell they are calling it this year...just as strong, and lots lighter.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I decided to build up the halo 48 spoke rims with funn hubs
thanks for the info on funn hubs, that turned out to be exactly what i wanted.
At least i won't have to worry about bending rims, i put a good wobble in my rear mag 30 rim on my ironhorse dh bike last trip to whistler, so this wheelset should be bombproof.
I will use that as my freeride wheelset until next spring when race season rolls around, then i will build a race wheelset.
What do you think i should use for rims and hubs on my race wheelset?
I am trying to keep it light, but still strong, i was looking at the atomlab dhr rims, maybe some mavic rims, what is the best choice for a light but strong dh racing wheel as far as rim and hub combonations?
thanks
oh and by the way i am looking for 26in rims, thanks

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Light n strong race wheelset?
Like I said, the Mavic 729s are great. I just built some up, and will use them next season. Hope hubs are perfect to lace them to. Or go with the Deemax, if you can get a good price. Consider tubeless, you'll save weight there...

Shop around in winter, you'll be able to find some good scores in the offseason, or hunt in ebay.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
Hah
off season
thats funny
yeah i was considering tubeless and that sounds like a good idea
are the 729s a tubeless rim?
if not what is the best choice for a dh racing tubeless rim?

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
My buddy, who rides very smoothly, has cracked his rear Halo Combat 48 spoke rim where it's pegged together and wore out the rear hub in less than a year. Take that for what it's worth.
IMO, a quality well built 36 spoke wheel will be lighter and tougher.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BigStonz said:
My buddy, who rides very smoothly, has cracked his rear Halo Combat 48 spoke rim where it's pegged together and wore out the rear hub in less than a year. Take that for what it's worth.
IMO, a quality well built 36 spoke wheel will be lighter and tougher.
nO whay!~

huXXors RooL4EVa! 48 spkoes!!!

(seriously, there's no cause for a 48-spoke MTB rim unless you're doing park riding as discussed above, and even then it seems kinda silly...36 at most, 32 as standard...just get quality rims (mavic-best allround/sunn-best value/arrow-the toughest ever but a bit heavy) and spokes (DT, double-butted or Alpine) and a good wheelbuilder and you're set.)

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
i guess you could say i am a little hard on wheels when i am freeriding
but when i am racing i ride smooth
i have bent my rear mag 30 to crap after one summer at whistler, before that i cracked and ovalized my wtb laserdisc rear
so a little extra strength is in order
and by the way i am not hitting "little" jumps by any standard so i can use some strength in my wheels