Quantcast

495 maintenance

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/save495/

FCPA will be doing a 'risk assessment' of the jumps sometime in early November. There are a handful of things we can do to help them see that plowing isn't necessary. We need some volunteers to help with digging, maintenance and cleanup. Please either join the group above or contact me directly to become involved. thanks!

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
ended up being a perfect workday... didn't rain the whole time we were there (9-4). tabled the beginner line, tabled 695 and cleaned. thanks again everyone who showed up!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Corey, Definantly keep us updated on whats happening up there! I haven;t been there much, but its a cool place, and if I'm ever up that way i'm all willing to help!

I think its awesome you are taking charge of this operation, thanks a lot man!

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hey Guys, I just had a thought. Has anyone thought of a possible outcry of disgust from BMXers who are pissed about us tableing lots of the lines? Im all for it, and i plan on making it up for another digging session. But I think putting up a couple fliers might be a good idea. Some ticked off BMX punks tearing out the tables wouldnt really surprise me, and heck, maybe we could recruit more help? We all need to be on the same page here.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Mattoid said:
Hey Guys, I just had a thought. Has anyone thought of a possible outcry of disgust from BMXers who are pissed about us tableing lots of the lines? Im all for it, and i plan on making it up for another digging session. But I think putting up a couple fliers might be a good idea. Some ticked off BMX punks tearing out the tables wouldnt really surprise me, and heck, maybe we could recruit more help? We all need to be on the same page here.
Probably not a bad idea. I half-joked about this with the guys on Saturday, asking if anyone knew of a good BMX board we could post this info on. We probably should have something out there in case someone 'out of the know' shows up. Definately don't want to start some kind of battle, and we sure don't want them thinking we're in the process of filling 'everything' in.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
yup, i'll be putting up some signage this week. that'll include a brief desc. of what's going on and who to contact to help out. as well as trail difficulty ratings and liability stuff.

i'd be very surprised if anyone complains about the tabletops though... we're only doing the beginner lines (395 & 695). if someone is angry because we've made those too easy... it's time to step it up to 495 & the teds!

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
lord knows i'm not a big fan of MORE... but the deeper i get into this debacle, the more it seems that without them and IMBA, FCPA had planned on dozing the jumps as soon as the bridge is completed. so, quite the opposite is true... mountain bikers will be the reason that 495 doesn't get plowed.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
mo' diggin this weekend. i'll probably be out earlyish (9 or 9:30).
others will be showing up around 11.

tasks:
mark/cut new entrance
add more dirt to new tables (rain has probably packed them)
finish tabling 395 extension line
general maintenance on 495/teds
surround dig holes with marking tape

adam's got some other things he wants to get done up at church as well.

we have a wheelbarrow and a few extra shovels, but bring tools if you have them. we could use some clippers/machete to help clear the path as well as a pick for digging. this may be our last organized workday as the walk through could happen as early as next week, so let's get a good group out there and get everything finished!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'll be there again.

One more thing to bring.... long sleeves / pants or something to protect you from the poison ivy. I've got it down my left arm. I don't even remember touching any plants. Granted from what I hear, the more you get it, the easier it is to get. You'd think you'd build up an immunity, but you don't.