Quantcast

4th Annual Mob n Mojave info

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We have our courses decided for the Mob n Mojave.
We have an awesome Super D course for this race. Just awesome! I was concerned this route would be too short. Well it was timed by a pro last week at 9:58. I no longer think this is too short of a race course.
He timed the downhill course at around 3:35.
Both courses finish right near the restrooms.

Online registration opens on 12-5-08

Last edited:

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Dual Slalom? 3:35 course length?

DS will be gnar.

What is the course, if 3:35 is the length, is it solidified that snakeback all the way the final decision?

I personally think the snakeback-->lower ginger course is wayyyyy a better choice.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
That was the time for the proposed downhill course.
Dual Slalom course is much shorter. It is a "Y" course with a shared finish.
Super D course will start on one of the best trails in the world. Skyline. Wicked exposure and beginners will hate me. Then it goes down another one of the best trails in the world. Girlscout. Everyone will Absolutely love this section of the course.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
... too bad that USA cycling has their name on it, count me out. I refuse to buy a license from those guys, and I have been racing bootleg since 99

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm in for the dual and the DH.

What is the climbing on the SD?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
No climbing on the Super D course. A flat spot in the middle and near the finish but no climbing. Skyline to Girlscout is all downhill.

Since the chainless downhill was popular at Whiteface, we added a open chainless dh race after the main downhill event.

Online registration for the Mob n Mojave can be found at Active.com

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, count me out as well. Bootleg was a winter staple for me. But with USAC and Delta charging $175 each way for bikes. Count me out.

:nopity:

Petite Fluer

Monkey
May 18, 2005
Arizona
Can I suggest a different course for Expert and above? Side to Snake sounds pretty weak man. Bootleg is gnar and the pro/expert course should be gnar.
Please consider it DHMike...in no way am I being a hater!! Thanks for putting on this race. It should be a ton of fun!!:clapping:

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Hey Mike

Karen and Richie are trying to put this trip together to make the race - I wish I could make it too.

Did you work out any deals with area lodging?

Thanks

Rich

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Hey Mike

Karen and Richie are trying to put this trip together to make the race - I wish I could make it too.

Did you work out any deals with area lodging?

Thanks

Rich
rich, ya know it is USAC. Good for us, not so good for others. I'm trying to find the $$ to go with the kid.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Can someone fill me in on all the anti-USAC? I want to race this race, BLC is a magical place.
in Rich's case his 15 year old will have to race junior instead of pro or jrx:banghead:

others may balk at racing pro at $150/yr:banghead: , since semi-pro at $60/yr has been elimated.

I'm ok with usac.

Rich, no idea what bike Geoff will be riding in 09, except I am VERY sure it won't be an IH.

Last edited:

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
in Rich's case his 15 year old will have to race junior instead of pro or jrx:banghead:

I'm ok with usac.

Rich, no idea what bike Geoff will be riding in 09, except I am VERY sure it won't be an IH.
George He's only 13 - he will be racing age 14 for 2009.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I can answer a few of the above questions:

Discounts at a motel in Boulder City:
I have contacted a local motel in Boulder City. Just pm or email me (info@downhillmike.com) and I can give you the details. I will make a link on the event web site (www.downhillmike.com). We will get a small discount only because it is on President's Day weekend. Around 10% off.

Super D course:
Best bike would around a 32 pound 6 inch travel bike (give or take?). My Demo 9 was def too big for that course. My x-c bike at the time (Trance x-o) was a bit sketchy on the upper part for me (Skyline) but was friggin awesome on the lower part (Girlscout).

Downhill course being not gnar enough?
Just go super fast.
We really wanted 1 course for all classes and a finish at the rest rooms. We thought about going straight after the shelf drop to Poop Shoot for pro and expert, and have the sport and beginner go to the big horseshoe.That way we could could still finish at the same area. Finishing at the restrooms will make the shuttle WAY more efficient, better for spectators and sponsors. I have been discussing this matter with our chief course official. With shuttles running more efficiently, not only you won't have to ever wait for a shuttle, start/ finish times and awards goes off on time. We are really trying to prevent a few mishaps that have happened at the race in the past.

Advantages for the Mob in Mojave being a USAC sanctioned event:
It has been our goal to attract the best racers in the west against the best racers in the east. We have already been getting many emails indicating this is happening. Some have told me if this was not a USAC event they would not be considering the trip out west. This race already attracts the best n the west. Since all of the events we have hosted have had a pro cash pay outs. We always thought that having rules/guidelines and structure to the event was beneficial and just more professional. There are certain guidelines we must adhere to that will help make the race great! such as; course must be very visible, professional timing, chief norba official at event, etc.

Oh, we still need inflatable start and finish lines. Anyone have any extra ones laying around? A standard 12 footer would be fine.

Registration is now open

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I found rooms for $59.00 per night that have 2 beds, a pull out couch and a kitchenette.

Here is a map with all race courses and a few other things:

Basically there is 1 highway between Las Vegas and Boulder City. As soon as you see the Taco Bell in Boulder City, just turn there and drive a couple of minutes towards the mountain. That easy to find. No maps necessary.

Here's a couple of pictures taken near the top of the downhill course:

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Dual Slalom Course
Dual slalom will be fun. I don't think they have had a ds slalom race at Bootleg Canyon for a while now. Course starts off with 2 lanes then has a shared finish ("Y' course). Yes bring your ds bike.

Downhill Course

Downhill course will have tons of natural features (rocks, cliffs, exposure,etc), there will be a finish line jump (with a go around). Bring your big bike.

Super D Course
SD course would be best done on a 6 inch travel bike. Pro winning times on sd will be just under 10 minutes (all downhill with some pedaling spots near the bottom).

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We have been going crazy mailing our event posters to bike shops all over the southwest,plus a few mountain biking meccas in other areas.

If your shop does not have a poster yet and you think they may want one, please pml me and we can get it in the mail to them right away.

Thanks and see ya at the race

Last edited:

aj_gilbs

Chimp
Oct 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
What's the start of the dual slalom gonna be like? Drop gate like BMX or like a side swing gate like the Jeep Series? Just curious so to see if I should work on my gate starts.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I just saw Southwest Airlines has tickets for $49.00 to $109.00.
Due to time constraints we may have to place a limit on the Dual Slalom to 100 racers. I will have to check with the timers.
I will answer the question about the starting gates on the ds as soon as I know.
Updated internet press release will be out around January 1st.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Not sure as it was just an ad I saw on t.v. last night.

I just checked a bunch of cities and it's pretty much $109.00 each way from the east coast. $97.00 each way from form Hartford. I checked N.Y.C. area, Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington DC airports.
With all taxes I kept getting $262.00.

Other cities: $69.00 from Detroit and $89.00 from Denver.
I am driving which will cost approx. $275.00 each way from Lake Placid, N.Y. at 20 mpg. This way I can bring my dog, 2 bikes and have my car.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Mob in Mojave Itinerary

Online registration is now open until 2-12-09.

The Registration:

Friday 2-13 from 8:00 am till 4:00 pm
* Registration open for Downhill, Super D, Dual Slalom and Chainless DH:
* Dual Slalom registration closes at 4:00 pm.
Saturday 2-14 from 8:00 am till 4:00 pm
* Registration open for Dual Slalom from 8:00 am till 9:00 am only. Limit of 100 only for DS
* Registration open for Downhill, Super D & Chainless DH
* Registration for the Super D will close at 10:30 am
Sunday 2-15 from 8:00 am till 9:30 am
* Registration for Downhill and Chainless Downhill opens at 8:00 am & and closes at 9:30 am

* Each registrant will receive 1 raffle ticket for each race they register in. Must be present to win.
* Raffle will be held immediately after the awards on Sunday.
* All start times will be posted at the kiosk by the restrooms & around race village one hour before each race.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Open Practice

Friday 2-13 from 8:00 am till 4:00 pm
* Open practice on all race courses ($20.00 shuttle fees apply)
Saturday 2-14 from 8:00 am till 4:00 pm
* Practice ends for Dual Slalom at 9:45 am
* Open practice on Super D course ends at 1:30 pm
* Open practice on DH course remains open till 4:00 pm
Sunday 2-15 from 8:00 am till 10:30 am
* Open practice for Downhill & Chainless DH ends at 10:30 am

* The first and last shuttle runs on Friday & Saturday will be reserved for the beginners and 10-14 age group.
* Sunday we will have 1 shuttle leaving at 7:30 am for beginners and the 10-14 age group.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Races

Dual Slalom
Saturday at 10:00 am
Super D
Saturday at 2:00 pm
Downhill
Sunday at 11:00 am
Chainless DH
Sunday immediately after the main DH event approx. 3:00 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Awards

Saturday 2-14 from 4:00 pm till 4:30 pm
* Approx. 4:00 pm immediately after the Super D
* Awards ceremony for Dual Slalom and Super D

Sunday 2-15 from 4:00 pm till 5:00 pm

* Approx. 4:00 pm immediately after the Chainless DH
* Awards ceremony for the main DH & Chainless DH
* Raffles for bikes from sponsors

* Barbecue and live music all weekend long!

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
1-28-09 update:
Many are signing up for the chainless dh. I don't know why but they thought it was on the service road. We don't have races on roads! The chainless dh is a second timed run without a chain on the main dh course. Snakeback.

Dual Slalom is already at 35% capacity, so it look like the ds will fill up.

So far we have registrants from 11 states and 3 countries.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Looks like adding the Dual Slalom race was a good idea.
We started working on the course today. We will be rebuilding a few berms and just getting the course back to it's original state.
A "Y" course is crazy. This will be very exciting to watch or race.
Pictures and videos for the ds course will be added to this thread asap.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Dual slalom course 1-30-09 (2 weeks before the race). Looks like someone is ready to race:

All the berms have been worked on:

A little further down the course:

Just after the course joins:

Our crew near the bottom of the course:

More of the lower part of the course:

1 more:

Next week a video will be taken of the Dual Slalom course.
Then picture threads and videos for the Downhill and the Super D courses.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Wait till you see the Super D course. The trail Skyline (top of course) was literally carved into the mountain by Brent Thomson. If you are not used to exposure this trail may freak you out a bit. If you are used to exposure it can still happen. Just a few spots where you need to make the short uphill, but you have to charge for a cliff and make the quick left. You'll see.
After Skyline the Super D goes to Girlscout. Girlscout is also a world class trail made by Brent. This trail is not nearly as techy as Skyline, so you can really haul a$$.