Quantcast

4X bike question? Shorter Stem & TT?

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
Can anyone tell me if a shorter stem has exactly the same effect as having a shorter top tube?

for example if I have a Long sized 4X bike that has a 22.4 inch TT, and use a Straitline 35mm SSC stem to replace my Deity 50mm stem, would it be basically the same as using the short sized frame which has a shorter TT by 15-20mm?

Reason is I found the short frame to be too short (as this was to be used for trail riding as well), and went the long frame instead but now wishing it had a little shorter reach? I thought I could fix this by changing to a shorter stem instead of having to purchase a new frame

any downside to doing this? I am aware the WB will be longer but I can fix that by slamming the rear all the way with the horizontal drop outs. Any thing else should I be concerned about

does a really short stem help with a 4x bike?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
shorter distance between saddle and hands can be achieved by shorter top tube, shorter stem, or shorter on both.

steering feel and front wheel weighting changes with stem length, though.

so it's not really identical to have either shorter top tube, or shorter stem.

in my stupid and humble opinion it's best to know what length stem you like for a certain steering feel and front wheel weighting, and then find a top tube length that works for you. I prefer longer top tubes and short stems, personally.