Quantcast

4x/ds course at northstar - who wants it

mr.niles

Chimp
Apr 29, 2007
who would like to see them build this?
if we could generate enough interest and make enough requests, is there a chance they may listen and build it?
who to contact to pass requests to?

i'm usually not the instigator for these types of things, but i'd really like to have it there, and i wanted to see if others would as well.

cross-post from dh and fr forums.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
MEE! I want it.

I bought a Yeti DJ and now that sand hill closed I have nowhere to race it!

4X would also make race weekends that much better. I think they would have tons of support.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
yeh, they should modify the lower section so that it could be a permanent 4X course!

The college 4X race on Live Wire seemed to be a success.

P.S. Dude, byoung I'm in livermore too!

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
for all you reading this and not chimming in if you do want a dual and 4x at northstar post a response. the big bosses who get to actually say yay or nay at northstar do frequent these forums.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
a dual course would be sick. I'd pay to race that the same weekend as the DH races and I'd probably hit it up on non race weekends too.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Dual course would be awesome as long as it's hardtailable.
I'd def. pay to race dual up there.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Dual course would be awesome as long as it's hardtailable.
I'd def. pay to race dual up there.
Anything is hardtailable if u got the flow, or if u don't care about the bumpy ride:weee:

I raced the 4X on Livewire at collegiate nats and it was a cool racing experience. It would be even better if it was on a dedicated 4X track tho.
I'd personally love to see a Dual Slalom at Colegiate nats, but I'll take whatever I can get:thumb:. Northstar was the epitome of my moutainbiking riding career, ya'll have a good thing goin out there.

Last edited:

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
A Slalom Course would be killer! I'd drive from San Luis Obispo to race it and the regular downhill races.

EDIT: About 8 other riders from around here are also very supportive.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
for all you reading this and not chimming in if you do want a dual and 4x at northstar post a response. the big bosses who get to actually say yay or nay at northstar do frequent these forums.
I (and obviously many others) would absolutely LOVE a dual and 4x venue both to ride casually and to race. But this hinges on courses that are actually built well and not in a manner that necessitates skidding and over braking in corners like much of livewire. If they are executed poorly, it will just become one more realm of beat down northstar trails that people complain about, and a waste of time and effort.

Done well however, you guys could bring a whole new level of business into play. That's apparent in this thread alone, and RM is obviously only a small fraction of the norcal mountain bike community, and these guys are pumped. It would be one of those kinds of additions that add to the infrastructure of a mountain bike and summer destination that northstar is trying to achieve. It would be less intimidating to families who rightly fear the super loose and rocky dh trails already there, and possibly get them excited about mountain bikes (and buy tickets and bike rentals :D).

Talk to Spangler. He's nearby, knows what he's doing, has name recognition and is an adult who can fufill a contract.

Last edited:

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i could not think of a wiser investment than a DS course. I also think that having two races in one weekend could be a huge money maker, bringing more people for the weekend as opposed for the day.

but what do i know?

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
Absolutely would be a great addition to the mountain. If Northstar wants to continue to move forward with larger events/races (GRT, collegiate nats) then this is nearly a mandatory addition to the park. But as Kidwoo stated, it cannot be built in the way that many of the trails are currently being built. The berms are way too "square" given the climate/dirt we have to work with. And this goes for the entire mountain, not just Livewire. People are forced to slam the brakes entering the turn and skid due to the turns not being shaped correctly. This is not good for sustainability, and force the very limited trail crew to "fix" these problem areas all too often. If the trails, especially turns, were built correctly, the trail crew could focus their efforts elsewhere. The trail design is the weakest link. I will say that the work that Kris has done is great, and he seems to be the best guy I have talked to who really understands the real issues with the trail, and how to fix them. I love Northstar, and I want the best for it. Please listen to the public opinion, after all, we are the ones that you rely on. I hope things continue to move forward, and I will see you when the snow melts!

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I would actually buy a season pass this year and probably stay at N* housing multiple weekends this summer if they put in a 4x and DS course.

Why? Well, first the obvious selfish reason that I want to ride them.

Second, I usually only make day trips with friends up there. We usually go full speed ahead the full day and go home tired and sore. Two days of that can be a lot for us old guys. I would love to rock the DH for 1/2 day and then play on the DS, 4x, and DJs the second half of the day. Repeat on Sunday, and I won't be so tired and beat up for work on Monday.

Third, with a DS and 4x tracks, my son will have somewhere to ride. This means bringing the whole family for multiple weekends and spending more money.

Now, can we make the DS more of a GS like Whistler?

Edit: Oh, and I have 3 other riding friends that would probably do the same. So instead of 4 guys for one day, N* would get 16 people staying overnight for a weekend, for several weekends.

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Hell yes, I can't wait to ride N* again next summer! I think i got 18 days in last summer, I would love make it more this summer and having new trails and Slalom/4x would make it a lot easier. That being said, I hope N* spends more time and money on trail maintenance, too, new stuff is nice but not when everything else is blown out. Does anybody know if the mountain is planning to add any staff this year?

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I would LOVE to see a DS course at N*! A pump track could be cool too. Adding to the variety gives us more options and spreads out the crowds.

if there was a dual and a DH on the same weekend would you race both if they gave you a discounted entry fee for signing up for both?
Sure, that would be awesome. Maybe even make it Downieville AM-style and have a class for people who do both races on the same bike!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I know its a lot to ask, but I'd like to see both courses at N* next summer. Not only would it draw in more riders, but my fat ass could use the work out after a day on the DH bike.

If it would help, I'd even come up and dig. I can't shape to save my life, but I am fat and I can throw dirt with the best of them, and I have the reserves in the tank to do so for a long time.

It'd also be the impetus I need to finally throw down for a new 4x bike. Really, this would help everyone N*, and I hope you do this.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
Sure, that would be awesome. Maybe even make it Downieville AM-style and have a class for people who do both races on the same bike!

theres been talk of an omnium combining results of xc/superD/and DH. not going as far as having to do it all on the same bike but atleast testing the skills of the riders. also theres talks of an enduro DH race off vista something like 4-6 hours.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
theres been talk of an omnium combining results of xc/superD/and DH. not going as far as having to do it all on the same bike but atleast testing the skills of the riders. also theres talks of an enduro DH race off vista something like 4-6 hours.
I'm assuming you mean some kind of staged enduro?

Sounds fun but I don't understand the logistics.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Anything is hardtailable if u got the flow, or if u don't care about the bumpy ride:weee:

I raced the 4X on Livewire at collegiate nats and it was a cool racing experience. It would be even better if it was on a dedicated 4X track tho.
I'd personally love to see a Dual Slalom at Colegiate nats, but I'll take whatever I can get:thumb:. Northstar was the epitome of my moutainbiking riding career, ya'll have a good thing goin out there.

LOL... My buddy mark (Slugman) went up to N* with me once. He brought his Titan HT and he was rocking ALL the downhill runs. He busted his BB on the Boondocks drop, but was back the next day with a DH BB and he hit it again no problem. Now that he is on a DH bike, it's like "See Ya".

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
I think he just means a long dh race. 4 hours, get as many runs as you can kind of thing. I might be wrong. Either way, my shoulders hurt just thinking about it :D
yup thats the idea. everyone brags about how many laps they get in during one day well this would be a way to put your money where mouth is. this could also be a team event so if youre like woo and have lady shoulders you can get a break. just another idea to spice up the summer if theres enough interest in it, it will be discussed with the powers at be.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
yup thats the idea. everyone brags about how many laps they get in during one day well this would be a way to put your money where mouth is. this could also be a team event so if youre like woo and have lady shoulders you can get a break. just another idea to spice up the summer if theres enough interest in it, it will be discussed with the powers at be.
Tim Krentz will own this.