Quantcast

4x/MX in the greater south?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
After riding the Otter 4x I am reinvested in the sport, and as such I was thinking if I want to make anything of it I must practice, a lot.

Can anyone tell me of various spots around the south I can drop in and ride at? The closer to Virginia Beach the better, but I am going to be all over this summer, so anything helps.

Also, does anyone know the UCI/NORBA rules regarding single speeds for 4x? At the Sea Otter a friend was DQ'd in the Dual Slalom for riding a single speed, but at some 4x races my DJ jump bike, which is a SS would be better I think.

Thanks in advance.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I think you have to run more than 3 gears for DS and 4X. As for courses in the south. There is an old one just outside Ashville NC, at Alexander Park. One at Big Foot in TN, and I think Lindsey Wilson’s Collage has one. Anyone else know of any more?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I thought I had heard rumors of one at the Thomson factory, along with one someone sent me videos of that I can't find now.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Thomson just has DJs. Chuck Pitts' place just north of Thomson in Griffin, GA, is the be-all, end-all 4X course in the SE.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Did whomever is doing the Underdog impersonation in that photo make the landing? That's big ball soup.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
There is a DS course in Charlotte and Hobby Park in Winston-Salem.
ETSU and Bigfoot in TN.
Your local BMX track in Hampton is good practice. So is the one in Richmond if it's still there.

Tattooo, you should make every effort to get down and ride/race Chuck's this weekend. It's a technical course with big and not so big options. If you are an honest to gosh sport or above racer you will enjoy it. You'll be a better rider after a day out there.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Wish I could make it out this weekend, but I am going down to Florida for some R&R with the wife for a couple weeks.

When I get back thought, between florida and new orleans, I'd love to make it down.