Quantcast

5.10 alternatives

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Are there any good alternatives to 5.10s

I got a pair of the freeriders back at very end of May and there pretty much fit for the trash already. I loved how well they gripped and i prefare the lighter weight of the freerider over the normal low impacts. Just very disappointed in the durability. Ive seen the shimano sh-am40s look good and i can get them for cost price unlike another pair of 5.10s but does anyone know if there any good. Dont want to waste money on a pair of shoes I wont wear and end up buying another pair of 5.10s. Is there any other good shoes that aren't going to fall apart that are worth looking at.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
their quality isnt any better. mine are being held together with duct tape until new ones arrive.
Really?

My impacts i've had for 2 years... that's 2 seasons of DH, 2 seasons of winter DJ's and 2 years of walking up and down various mountains with a bunch of camera gear... they are still good to go!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Really?

My impacts i've had for 2 years... that's 2 seasons of DH, 2 seasons of winter DJ's and 2 years of walking up and down various mountains with a bunch of camera gear... they are still good to go!
mine are about 3 or 4 years old and the soles started falling apart this year.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
ahh, okay, makes sense....usually impacts last for a couple of years...

I will def. get another pair once these are long gone.... def. worth the money. i personally would not recommend any other shoe.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

I got a pair of the freeriders back at very end of May and there pretty much fit for the trash already. I loved how well they gripped and i prefare the lighter weight of the freerider over the normal low impacts. Just very disappointed in the durability. Ive seen the shimano sh-am40s look good and i can get them for cost price unlike another pair of 5.10s but does anyone know if there any good. Dont want to waste money on a pair of shoes I wont wear and end up buying another pair of 5.10s. Is there any other good shoes that aren't going to fall apart that are worth looking at.

Shoot 5.10 an email, there are quality issues with the freeriders(soles seperating from the shoe), they might replace them for free..

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I would also recommend getting impacts. Mine are on the 4th season and still mint. I ride often, I am really good about taking care of them and washing them etc. though.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon

A bit off topic as this thread is about the freeriders.
Dude 3-4yrs is amazing. DHing is super abusive on shoes. I wear out a pair about every season (mainly the soles due to long pedal pins chewing em up) and consider the Impact model's durability outstanding. Consider offroad moto where, if you ride hard, a pair of $300-500 boots only last a season. I figure a hundred bucks a year is not so bad for the Impacts.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
A bit off topic as this thread is about the freeriders.
Dude 3-4yrs is amazing. DHing is super abusive on shoes. I wear out a pair about every season (mainly the soles due to long pedal pins chewing em up) and consider the Impact model's durability outstanding. Consider offroad moto where, if you ride hard, a pair of $300-500 boots only last a season. I figure a hundred bucks a year is not so bad for the Impacts.
Yeah, I get a season and a half or so from the impacts, figure that's pretty good...

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Get the shimanos. I agree that the quality on 5.10's is garbage. If you actually ride (especially in bad conditions) they'll fall apart in a few months. My shimanos have been raged for a full year and are just now ready for replacement. The lace guards are a nice touch too. Highly recommended.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I get a new pair every year and cycle the old ones out to hike-a-bike operations. I run super long pins so they get torn up. The only problem ive had is the fabric loops holding the laces in tearing out. However if you buy thesam hill ones the lacing is different. 3-4 years out of them is awesome. Dh destroys shoes regardless of brand.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina

5.10 does have a warranty department. I've had good success with getting my Freeriders replaced due to the sole falling apart.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the soles have fallen apart on mine. I reglued on of them but now the other one has gone and i dont think i can repair it. Ill try sending them an email and see how i get on. Cheers

Mulestar how does the shimano sole compare to the 5.10s for grip. I only use my 5.10s on my dh bike as i find them too grippy for dirtjumping and i use clips for xc.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I have the Shimanos and while I prefer them to 5.10s the soles get munched by set screws really quickly. Having the Stealth soles glued on when they become unusable is an option.

Lately though I've been riding in various Vans shoes and I'm very happy with them. I like the thinner sole that allows you to feel exactly where the pedal is on your foot.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Get the shimanos. I agree that the quality on 5.10's is garbage. If you actually ride (especially in bad conditions) they'll fall apart in a few months.

I had the original (1st edition) Sam Hill 5-10 shoes for over 3 years, these were ridden in Whistler, Vancouver North Shore, Wales and Scotland (UK) and lots of nasty muddy XC riding on flat pedals, washed under a cold tap using Muc-Off detergent

they only died when I (stupidly) started digging trails wearing them, and running for the bus - this caused a split 1/3rd of the way along the sole

until these activities they had started getting bald on the sole, but this made no difference to grip on the pedal

once I killed these, without hesitation I bought another pair of Sam Hill - the 2nd Gen Monster shoes and these are excellent

I run Orchid (bmx flat pedal shoes) for dirt jumping and pump track riding, bu the 5-10 shoes are unique in their performance for rough ground mountain biking on flat pedals

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
the soles have fallen apart on mine. I reglued on of them but now the other one has gone and i dont think i can repair it. Ill try sending them an email and see how i get on. Cheers

Mulestar how does the shimano sole compare to the 5.10s for grip. I only use my 5.10s on my dh bike as i find them too grippy for dirtjumping and i use clips for xc.
having run both the impact and shimano i'd say the shimano's have ~90% of the grip the impacts do. for me this is great as i can actually make micro adjustments with foot placement yet still stick to the pedals during rough stuff. personally they are a way more comfortable shoe as well. i've only been on them a few months but so far they are holding up fine.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
got my impacts probably around 2004-2005 first new gen release after the intense branded shoes that I had years ago... Mine are still in one piece. Maybe give them a go, kinda sucks hearing this as I was just about to purchase the freeriders. I build trails in them two days a week and ride in them 6-7days a week for the last few years...the soles don't have much left in them but they still grip...

Another thought maybe get some vans and get the grip kit that 510 has and throw some of that on the soles. What about a retread of some old shoes?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

I've been a flat pedal downhiller for a long time, and I prefer the sole on the shimanos, but I don't think its for everyone. The sole is made by Vibram, so you know its quality, but it grips more like a skate shoe than the stealth rubber does. It took a little getting used to compared to the 5.10s that pretty much do all the work for you. What I like about the grip is being able to easily move my feet around on the pedals. The sole holds up great to tall pins, and you'll likely rip the entire sole off the rest of the shoe before it falls apart. Thats what is happening to mine right now, so they're about to get downgraded to full time digging shoes.

Another nice plus of the shimanos is that they have a much stiffer sole than the 5.10s, and include sole stiffening plates if you want to make them even more so. I like the fact that my shoe doesn't wrap around the pedal as much as when I was riding 5.10s.

In short, if you really rely on the glue-like grip of 5.10's, the shimano's might take some getting used to. If you know how to ride flat pedals in skate shoes or other shoes, you'll love them.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

If it's an older pair of freeriders, they will warranty them! There was some production problems that are now fixed (soles are now stitched on in one piece). Contact 5.10 and they will sort you out!

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I'm still liking my Nike6.0's, better grip than five10's in that I can reposition my foot way easier, I'm a looser foot out kind of guy and really prefer the fact the Nikes have less grip, seems to make riding more natural. Quality seems pretty good and they aren't a bad price. Best of all they don't take 8-10 weeks to dry out ;)

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
More AND less grip than the 5.10's at the same time? Now that's something.

Coming from Vans, 5.10's were awesome. Holding up well. I really appreciate the thickness. The Vans had thin soles that did allow me to "feel" the pedal better but doing high speed dabs were very very unpleasant. 5.10's also worlds ahead gripwise, naturally.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
If it's an older pair of freeriders, they will warranty them! There was some production problems that are now fixed (soles are now stitched on in one piece). Contact 5.10 and they will sort you out!
well i think they could be an older pair of freeriders even though there only about 4.5 months old, but just old stock in the shop i bought them in. Ill email them and let you know how i get on. A free pair of shoes does sound good.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I still run my first Gen 5.10. I bought my high impact back in 2005 or 2006, can't remember, but they are still going strong! I've only changed the shoe lases, thats about it. Im thinking about getting the karvers as my next option.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
I cannot believe someone would be mad they only got 3-4 seasons out of their riding shoes. I was happy my impacts lasted one season, and now they are just about through a 2nd season and still holding up just fine. I will get another pair for next year and make my current ones for mud days. I take care of my stuff, but I know what everything goes through when it is being used and it can only last so long.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Yeah getting 3 seasons out of shoes is great. I usually get a year to 18 months out of a pair of shoes. I would have been happy with a season out of mine. 4.5 months was a bit crap though

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I've been thinking about trying the Shimano's. I'm not a big fan of the construction of the 5.10's and the grip is almost to good. They also are the worst when they get wet, like my foot is wrapped in a big sponge.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Yeah getting 3 seasons out of shoes is great. I usually get a year to 18 months out of a pair of shoes. I would have been happy with a season out of mine. 4.5 months was a bit crap though
Upon further review I think 18 months is about how long my Impact's generally last before they feel totally blown out. Good thread, I want a pair of Shimano's and 5-10's now!

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
If you can ride without 5.10's you're not going fast enough. Nothing else I've ridden stays on the pedals when you smash stuff at mach 10.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Aha, time for some new ones. 3 yo pair finally ripped through the sole so current move to street and park duty!

If they last a season, they're doing better than most shoes in most sports! My newer pair is finishing its 2nd year and only this weekend a loop popped and the inside ankle of the right shoe ripped a bit.

My Shimano DX are nice, but no where near teh stickyness.

jules

Chimp
Aug 3, 2010
have had no problems with my 5.10s. 1st pair of 1gen samhills still going strong after 3 years. also got the karvers for the second year now. I always take both pairs with me when going out to ride, that way I can put on a "new" clean and dry shoe when needed.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Another nice plus of the shimanos is that they have a much stiffer sole than the 5.10s, and include sole stiffening plates if you want to make them even more so. I like the fact that my shoe doesn't wrap around the pedal as much as when I was riding 5.10s.
Which Shimanos and 5-10's are you talking about? The Impacts are waay stiffer than the Shimano flat pedal shoes I tried on, which were comparable to Van's, IMO.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Which Shimanos and 5-10's are you talking about? The Impacts are waay stiffer than the Shimano flat pedal shoes I tried on, which were comparable to Van's, IMO.
from my comparison the impacts are a stiffer, bulkier shoe overall but don't have a stiffer sole. the shimano am-40's have a more supple build but the actual sole seems stiffer.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ