Quantcast

5.10 alternatives

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
I don't believe they are still being made, but La Sportiva made a very similar shoe for a few years. Sportiva is a climbing company so these weren't made for biking, but damnit do they work. They marketed it as an approach shoe "with urban styling", so it was basically a skate shoe, with a hard sticky sole. If you have a narrow foot like me, 5.10's do not fit well at all. I need to wear a thick sock and use an extra insole to make my Rennie's fit. These were the answer for me, but I'm having a hard time finding them these days. Hopefully these new Vans will be the real deal.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I don't believe they are still being made, but La Sportiva made a very similar shoe for a few years. Sportiva is a climbing company so these weren't made for biking, but damnit do they work. They marketed it as an approach shoe "with urban styling", so it was basically a skate shoe, with a hard sticky sole. If you have a narrow foot like me, 5.10's do not fit well at all. I need to wear a thick sock and use an extra insole to make my Rennie's fit. These were the answer for me, but I'm having a hard time finding them these days. Hopefully these new Vans will be the real deal.
I have a couple pairs of those...one's pretty beat, the other I found on closeout on backcountry.com last summer some time I think....awesome shoes

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The wait is over, you can finally pick up the Vans sticky rubber shoes. I'm fortunate enough to have been riding these shoes already and I'm completely satisfied. They fit your foot like a regular skate shoe and don't have the excess bulk of the 5.10 while providing equal grip. Check out the pics Spomer put up from Intertrike. Oh, and did I mention they have that sweet Vans logo?

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Interbike-2010-Vans-Gravel-Shoe,1600/Slideshow,11253/sspomer,2
Awesomeness!

Except I want hightops. :mad:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I wouldn't be looking to buy Vans if I wanted a shoe that lasted. Getting them for under $50 on closeout seems about right.

I would like to hear some long-term reviews of the Gravel... it would be cool if they grip as well as 5.10 Impacts.