Quantcast

5.10 Freeride vs Impact

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My old Impact are worn out. I really like the lower profile of the new Freeride:

Any difference in grip compared to the Impact? Have anybody tried them?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Claus - your feet will explode!

Get em! Do it! No - I have NOT tried them, you should so YOU can tell us!

MUAHAHAHAHA

Really, I say go for it - the Impacts are bulky, I like em because of my superflexyankle, but they do feel like Im wearing some kind of rubberized cluster fruit on my feet. (Imagine wearing a bunch of grapes, or a pile of raspberries as shoes...)

<wanders off into bushes>

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
Hey Claus,

yeah i own both pairs, the grip is exceptional on both. (same rubber but with a reversed or negative pattern if you know what i mean) They are quite comfortable like the Impacts. If you are an 11.5 i have a brand new pair you could try on.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I really like the freeride. It has a much softer sole as well, and seems to conform to the pedal better than the new impacts do.

It is NOT the same rubber however. The freeride is a non marking sole, kitchen floor safe. The impact is not.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey Claus,

yeah i own both pairs, the grip is exceptional on both. (same rubber but with a reversed or negative pattern if you know what i mean) They are quite comfortable like the Impacts. If you are an 11.5 i have a brand new pair you could try on.
I think that is what I should get. Unfortunately I am a 9.5.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Um, the Impacts and Freerides share the same black stealth rubber. You sure you aren't thinking of the Simples? They have a red non-marking sole.

I ride in both Impacts and Freerides and don't notice any difference.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I was looking at some freerides the other day, was very tempted as I prefer the looks. I went for the impacts in the end though, stick with what I know and all that. The freerides sole is considerably narrower than the impacts, which seemed like a bad thing at the time. Now I think about it it seems like a good thing, hmmm.

Maybe I need a pair of both in my life? :)

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Maybe I need a pair of both in my life? :)
Maybe? UnAmerican!!! Must consume!!

j/k - but really, Im thinking the same - time to give em a shot. My 1st set of Impacts is worn through so Im riding on foam; my newer pair is spanking, need something a little less enormous to try!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah that's why I had to buy new Impacts at the weekend. Was my first ever time riding at Fort William, and my feet were taking more of a pounding than my hands! Realised it was because the soles on my old shoes were so floppy. New ones solved the problem.

On this note, why aren't the soles even stiffer? is there a good reason why our flat pedal shoes don't have rigid soles like an SPD shoe does? With soft & sticky enough rubber I don't think grip is the issue, and I can see considerable benefits to a stiffer sole.

Furthermore, why are no riding shoes steel toe-capped? How many times have you caught a toe between pedal & rock/stump? A very common injury, and one a steel toe-cap could pretty much eliminate?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I stub toes all the time, but my original black impact seem to shrug them off. I love those shoes. They are the right amount of stiffness and protection without walking around in moto boots.