Quantcast

5.10 Freerider Pro vs. Trailcross

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just as the title says, which one is the preferred shoe. Will be used for all-around riding, in all around weather. Should be adequately stiff as to not fatigue while pedaling, but also maintain some hike ability. Toe protection is a must.

Current shoes are a pair of Freeriders. They've been good, but are a bit too compliant stiffness wise.

And go. Any alternatives I should be considering?

@6thElement , I know your other half has gone through a number of shoes. Any advice?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just as the title says, which one is the preferred shoe. Will be used for all-around riding, in all around weather. Should be adequately stiff as to not fatigue while pedaling, but also maintain some hike ability. Toe protection is a must.

Current shoes are a pair of Freeriders. They've been good, but are a bit too compliant stiffness wise.

And go. Any alternatives I should be considering?

@6thElement , I know your other half has gone through a number of shoes. Any advice?
We're both on Freerider Pros now for trail and DH bikes. I may give the Impact Pro a try when mine wear out for a little more sole stiffness on those longer standing descents you get out here.

Wife used to use the original 2FO and went through several pairs. But the sole chewed up on those way too fast. Then she didn't like normal Freerider as the sole wasn't stiff enough.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a pair of trail cross. Not as stiff as impacts, super lightweight and breathable, so def more of a warm weather shoe. Very walkable. I'd buy them again.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
impact pro. done.
I had some Impacts like, 12 years ago, and they were so clunky I had no pedal feel. That and the sole never felt as grippy as a pair of Vans, so I dumped them.

Presumably they've improved since?

We're both on Freerider Pros now for trail and DH bikes. I may give the Impact Pro a try when mine wear out for a little more sole stiffness on those longer standing descents you get out here.

Wife used to use the original 2FO and went through several pairs. But the sole chewed up on those way too fast. Then she didn't like normal Freerider as the sole wasn't stiff enough.
That's been my main complaint with my Freeriders. They are just not stiff enough. Well that and a pin punched a hole in the sole 6 rides in, so said pin is currently an insole away from my foot.

I have a pair of trail cross. Not as stiff as impacts, super lightweight and breathable, so def more of a warm weather shoe. Very walkable. I'd buy them again.
Might just have to head to the local REI and see what they have. I don't necessarily need a warm weather shoe, as my feet never get that hot and I'll be using these for cold weather riding too.

Mostly concerned about the foot/ankle protection with the Trailcross (maybe do the mid?) as there are ample foot smashing opportunities in the East Coast Rox.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I had some Impacts like, 12 years ago, and they were so clunky I had no pedal feel. That and the sole never felt as grippy as a pair of Vans, so I dumped them.

Presumably they've improved since?

That's been my main complaint with my Freeriders. They are just not stiff enough. Well that and a pin punched a hole in the sole 6 rides in, so said pin is currently an insole away from my foot.

Might just have to head to the local REI and see what they have. I don't necessarily need a warm weather shoe, as my feet never get that hot and I'll be using these for cold weather riding too.

Mostly concerned about the foot/ankle protection with the Trailcross (maybe do the mid?) as there are ample foot smashing opportunities in the East Coast Rox.
the newer impact pros are much lighter than the old ones while still providing a stiff sole and good toebox protection. i have an older pair of freeriders that i wear for trailwork, etc., and tried riding in them one day recently. i really noticed the flimsy sole and also managed to smash the crap outta my toes a well.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Impact Pros. I've got flat feet and shoes that are not stiff cause a lot of pain on sustained descents, and I don't get that with them. The padded toe cap is legit too: I've run my foot through a decomposing log and not felt it. I wear them for trail work usually too, unless it's actively raining in which case I wear a pair of waterproof work boots. The Impacts are fine for that but have the issues you might expect (low ankle means easy for dirt to get in, tread fills up with wet clay quickly).

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up going with the Trailcross LT, because REI had neither the Freerider Pro nor the Impact Pros in stock. Made that decision pretty easy.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have a nice set of Shimano shoes and pedals hanging in my parts bin, but just haven't found the desire to go back to clips since I threw flats on 5 years ago. Sure, I gave up some climbing prowess, but the confidence to try new stuff knowing I can eject with fewer consequences outweighs the cons.
Like slipping off the pedals and turning your shins into hamburger helper?