Quantcast

5.10 Shoe Choice

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
I need to decide between the Sam Hill, Karver, Impact2 Low, Impact2 Mid, and Nathan rennie. So low or mid for downhill? Please leave input a soon as possible.

mmmmBeer

Chimp
Jul 21, 2009
I have the impact low. They are extremely comfortable and stick like crazy. All of those shoes have the stealth rubber sole so it's just a matter of ankle support. The low's provide enough support for me but if you have weaker ankles or a nagging ankle injury the mid's or Rennie's might be the way to go.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Something like shoe height is personal preference. Some people like high tops for additional protection, some like low for range of motion.

Personally, I have the hills (original style). I prefer a low top shoe, and the hill's also have a nice cutout for your achilles. I also got a killer deal on them.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
I have the impact low. They are extremely comfortable and stick like crazy. All of those shoes have the stealth rubber sole so it's just a matter of ankle support. The low's provide enough support for me but if you have weaker ankles or a nagging ankle injury the mid's or Rennie's might be the way to go.
You think the mids would restrict some movement?

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I wear the rennies and I haven't noticed ANY restriction of movement at all. Would I use them to play tennis? No, but for their prescribed use they're great. You just don't need all that much lateral freedom at the ankle for riding bikes.

Personally I wanted the sam hills purely for aesthetic reasons but was never able to catch em on chainlove, so I got the Rennies instead, and have absolutely no complaint with them. As far as 510s go, I think the sole is the important part and everything else is just details.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
low if you gotta rock the skate shoe, exposed ankle bone. Karver if you want the little bit of padding for your ankle bone and have no intentions of wearing them off the bike, highs if you're former moto and can't imagine having an exposed leg.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So I've been able to try pretty much all of the 5.10 riding shoes lately and keep coming back to the freerider. It just seems to grip the pedal better for me, and is much more comfortable.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I'm on the mids and they're fine but next time I get a pair they will be low tops. I've never needed the extra protection or support of the high tops, and they look funky off the bike. The performance of the sole itself is definitely as good as everybody says.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I have both low and high(forgot mine on a Whistler trip, wasn't going to ride for a week in regular shoes so I bought some there). The mid feels more restricting off the bike, but I never notice it on the bike, placebo effect. I have bruised both my inner ankle bones in the low tops, not a huge injury but annoying and would have been easily prevented with the high tops.

form-lows
function-high

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I have the Karvers and have had a chance to ride them in the rain and mud and was happy to have the lace cover. It's a good compromise between the low and high and it has been a great riding shoe.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I've got both lows and highs and have found that the highs definitely give you more ankle protection, they're pretty stiff and protect your ankle bone, but I found that I had a better feel for the pedal with the low top ones. If I had to buy again I'd go low tops again, I just found them a bit more comfortable. Haven't owned the Karvers, but two mates of mine have em and both commented that the flap across the laces is velcroed on both sides (rather than being sewn on one side and velcroed on the other) and tends to peel off now and then from contact with your crank arm.

mmmmBeer

Chimp
Jul 21, 2009
You think the mids would restrict some movement?
The mids might restrict some ankle movement but I haven't worn them so I can't say for sure. My buddy has the Rennie's and he doesn't have any issues with ankle movement. He does have to loosen them up for lunch breaks and after biking delicious beers though.