Quantcast

5.5 EVP or SC Blur (Im confused)

BULLIT_CN

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
It's too bad that when I about to get my new Intense Tracer, it was already sold out and no more stocks coming in because of the Spider and the 5.5EVP is now the new Intense product for 2004...
I like the Blur becasue it's cheaper and has a lot of good reviews. However, I don't like it because the VPP linkage was way exposed to mud and pebbles unlike the EVP, it has a little cover on it...
If you guys, to choose, which one will it be...I'm totally confused so other comments is a lot of help to me. Thanks.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
The Blur and 5.5 evp are not exactly the same. The intense is definatly more aggresive.

Do you need that extra inch of travel is the question you need to ask yourself.

I have a blur and I don't have any issue with the exposed linkage but it is a pain to clean it.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
To expand on what deyv was saying.......If you want to compare the blur to an Intense it should be the spider, not the 5.5. The spider is the most XC oriented, then the blur for a little of everything and last would be the 5.5, which is more of a aggressive trail bike. It really depend on the amount of money you wish to spend and the style of riding you are planning to do.

BULLIT_CN

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
So Deyb, are you saying that the 5.5EVP is overkill for a trailbike not to mention its price tag???
I just feel that the Blur is not burly enough for some aggressive ride when you need to push it a little bit...

BULLIT_CN

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
So Deyb, are you saying that the 5.5EVP is overkill for a trailbike not to mention its price tag???
I just feel that the Blur is not burly enough for some aggressive ride when you need to push it a little bit...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
It's my understanding that the Blur does have 5" of travel. A friend of ours did some math right before it was released and told us that the Santa Cruz phrase, "3 inches that feels like 5," really was true.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Originally posted by ghostrider
Oh man, this thread is going to go down hill fast.
Huh? My gf told me to give her 10 and hurt her. So, I screwed her twice and hit her over the head with a brick. Yeah, I know, nobody's ever heard that one before.:rolleyes:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I have a friend that rides the Blur and his main complaint is the lack of rear tire clearance. When you have a frame with +/- 5" of travel, you're going to want some more rear tire clearance so that you don't have to use xc tires all the time. Either wait for SC to fix the clearance or look into something else.

Also: sorry to hijack your thread;)

BULLIT_CN

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
Well in that case, if I get the Blur, I need to live with its tight tire clearance, low bottom bracket height and its vpp linkage is way much exposed to mud, dirts, pebbles that will lead to an earlier failure of the vpp likage bearings...OR...If I choose to get the EVP5.5, most likely all of my reservations are almost gone but does the additional $600 worth it?????? Hmmm...well, sounds like I solve my problem myself????:o:

Anybody second the motion for reconsideration???:)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Thing is, I have a Blur, and I love it. It handles perfectly, the suspension works as advertised, and I'm not having any problems with gunk in the VPP. But, what works for me and my trails may not work for all. So I can't help ya....

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
You were looking at a Tracer, right? I have a friend who is on a new Specialized Enduro and freakin loves the thing. Granted the two frames aren't identical, but they're still based on the same concept, the horst link and a simple linkage-type of deal. If I had the money to throw out the idea of a Blur or Intense, I'd definitely look at the Enduro too.

BULLIT_CN

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks a lot to you Reflux...you are right....unfortunately I am a fun of specialized that's my problem...

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Originally posted by BULLIT_CN
It's too bad that when I about to get my new Intense Tracer, it was already sold out and no more stocks coming in because of the Spider and the 5.5EVP is now the new Intense product for 2004...
I like the Blur becasue it's cheaper and has a lot of good reviews. However, I don't like it because the VPP linkage was way exposed to mud and pebbles unlike the EVP, it has a little cover on it...
If you guys, to choose, which one will it be...I'm totally confused so other comments is a lot of help to me. Thanks.
Here's a guideline: More pivots=more problems. You can wear out your rig faster with more pivots. However, more pivots also means more effecient pedaling, better feel, etc. If you ride mud, default and get 1 pivot. If you ride a little mud, what looks to be the easiest to maintain? If you ride no mud, go for what feels the best.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Originally posted by reflux
You were looking at a Tracer, right? I have a friend who is on a new Specialized Enduro and freakin loves the thing. Granted the two frames aren't identical, but they're still based on the same concept, the horst link and a simple linkage-type of deal. If I had the money to throw out the idea of a Blur or Intense, I'd definitely look at the Enduro too.
Hell, Intense pays Specialized to use their ideas!