Quantcast

5" fork - 6" fork

J

JRB

If'n I buy this X2, I will need a fork. If I get Orvan's, it should have a good one. Here's the deal - do I look at the Nixon, the Firefly, the Flick, an older Z1, or get a different cheaper fork for my Jamis, and run the Talas?? Help a brutha out. Are the A-C as tall on Manitous as the Marz are???

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Stay away from Nixion's the IT has a tendency to die and leave the fork in the lowest travel setting.

J

JRB

gnurider1080 said:
what riding style?
Trail - I want to get a longer travel plush kind of trail bike to see if I might start actually riding drops and what not again. I will do a foot or so on a roll, but will only wheelie drop anything higher. Run out prevents that, so I am looking fo a more plush, slack bike, and the fork on the X2 I am looking at isn't so great.

*edit - some urban too, but nothing too wild. loco = 33 year old Pvssy

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You can't knock Z1's but they are tall piggies. Vanilla's are plushy. If you had dough i'd tell you to get a 36. i don't really know anything about Shermans... Oly has a RS Pike and he's pretty happy about it, it's got travel adjustment.
Sometimes i miss coil shocks on my XC bike, you really can go faster and hit harder and be all around more sloppy with em.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
FWIW... the TALAS has been more than enough fork for me on my 575, similar riding styles.
Yeah - I even wonder if the Minute would work. :think: I am not gonna hit huge drops - not more than 3 feet or so, max. I could get a Minute 1 way cheaper than most forks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The axle to crown heigh on your talas may seem to short for the Haro if you want it to be your more aggressive trail bike. Just my two cents. Keep that TAlas on the Jamis and rock a Marzocchi, Sherman, or Pike on the Haro.

Edit: A Minute would be fine if you won't hit anything bigger than three feet. I have a Minute 2 at 130mm on my Surly and it is light and stiff and strong for my riding style with it.

It will be taller than a TAlas in terms of axle to crown height, yet not super tall like a Z1 would be.

J

JRB

Where do all the people that complain about the lack of us contributing to bike related stuff weigh in???

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just sold an '05 minute 3 because it felt like poo 3 weeks after I got it, no matter how often I buttered it up. I never liked the feel of the spv damping, very little small bump sensitivity. The travel adjust is ok for climbing but again, no small bump sensitivity because you are just locking it down into its travel, loading the spring. I also have a sherman now and it has the same issues, so I may be getting rid of it.

I have heard a bunch of people complaining recently about TALAS forks gradually losing travel over time because oil somehow packs up in the system. It's a big enough problem that two friends of mine sold talas forks in favor of fixed travel foxies.

I am looking at the Marzocchi All Mountain forks (AM1 and SL) but find very little reliable feedback. I'd say check those out or a fixed travel fox. I don't have any recent experience with rockshox.

J

JRB

Yeah OG - I don't know what to think. I kind of like the Sherman Flick for the price, but it is way heavy. I am comtemplating a Nixon. Not sure. I would get a cheap All Mountain III, but there is no adjustable rebound, so I am not really interested in that. I don't want to dick with changing oil. I have never loved my Talas on drops, so I don't think I am interested in using it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would recommend a Talas, I'm soooo happy with mine. [spam]That being said I'll give you a kick ass deal on a barely used '03 Z1 SL.[/spam]

J

JRB

Westy said:
I would recommend a Talas, I'm soooo happy with mine. [spam]That being said I'll give you a kick ass deal on a barely used '03 Z1 SL.[/spam]
Sent you a PM. I will be back in a bit to see your response.

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
Whatever fork you buy, make sure its a Fox fork! the Talas is pretty nice. I love my vanilla, the action is sweeet! Just get the right size fork for your frame. Im into front and rear having the same amount of travel.

J

JRB

Westy said:
By kick ass, he means he will sell me this fork for $175. Actually, he sold me this fork for $175.

J

JRB

Yup - the Z1 FR works nicely on the Haro.

*I still want to try a 6" fork though.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
loco said:
Yeah - I even wonder if the Minute would work. :think: I am not gonna hit huge drops - not more than 3 feet or so, max. I could get a Minute 1 way cheaper than most forks.
My .02

I got one of these from Greenfish- a good buy. I put on a single speed and mostly run it on the lowest setting but have dialed it up on some of the rough stuff. Great adjustability, it works very well for my application.

J

JRB

I got a Z150 SL and like it, but still need to tinker with setup a bit more. The bike is taller than it needs to be for stand over, but it rides nice.

*I kind of wish I had seen some $300 Nixons a few weeks ago when I got the 150, but I hadn't.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Slightly off-topic now you've bought the Z1 (Good choice IMO) but I know a few people who've bought SPV type forks and then gone back to 'normal' ones. I also personally don't like the feel of a platform valve in the front. It seems like it's suited to rear shock technology only to me, or maybe if you're a hard out XC rider it'd be nice.

J

JRB

I think I agree on the SPV. Apparently they changed them with the intrinstic stuff and they stay open to soak up small stuff, but is that just the 06s???

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I dunno. I can't see it ever working great for DH or Freeridey stuff. It's just unnecessary I think. They can tinker with it all they want, but it's kind of like they're adding technology for marketings sake, not an actual need. More expensive isn't always better.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Changleen said:
I dunno. I can't see it ever working great for DH or Freeridey stuff. It's just unnecessary I think. They can tinker with it all they want, but it's kind of like they're adding technology for marketings sake, not an actual need. More expensive isn't always better.

I agree.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Cash-Money said:
i'd recomend a PIKE, fairly light weight, maxle system kicks ass, 140mm of travel adjustable to 90mm for climbs
I'd recommend a pike also. Just over 5.5 inches of travel and the maxle system is nuts. Also one thing you didn't mention is how tough these things are. People who ride a lot and go through lots of bikes are really putting them to the test. I've overshot a few 8'ish drops and happily done a gentle east coast DH race on mine.