Quantcast

$5/gal gas... coming this summer to a station near you?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
If a sizeable hurricane hits the Gulf this season look for prices to skyrocket... to $5+/gal

and those of you who use heating oil in the winter... well.... :dead:

Here's the relationship between oil and gas prices. Generally, for every dollar increase in oil prices, gas prices increase by 2.4 cents. If oil rises $10 dollars, consumers will pay 24 cents more at the pump.

Tom Kloza of the Oil Price information service says that if oil goes to $150 a barrel, we'll pay $4.32 to $4.37 a gallon. At $175 per barrel, we can expect to pay $4.95 to $5.00 a gallon and at $200 a barrel the average retail price for gas could cost anywhere from $5.58 to $5.63 a gallon, excluding hurricanes and other threats to our refining infrastructure.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are you going to start a new thread until you hit Toshi's $20 thread?

Why not just move ahead to "$10/gal coming next summer" 'cause that's where it's headed.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
doubtful we'll see anything in that range for the next 10 years..
The UK is at $10 a gallon. I'm glad to see your optimism, but reality is a harsh bitch. I know a majority of the public never thought we would see $4 a gallon, either.

Keep thinking prices will level off and hope for the best. But please don't be shocked when it's $100+ just to top off you FJ.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The UK is at $10 a gallon. I'm glad to see your optimism, but reality is a harsh bitch. I know a majority of the public never thought we would see $4 a gallon, either.

Keep thinking prices will level off and hope for the best. But please don't be shocked when it's $100+ just to top off you FJ.
the biggest variable is likely federal, state and local taxes in the case of US cost -vs- UK cost.

Might be refining cost as well... i dont know the refining capacity of Britan

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So you are still hopeful for Hillary's gas tax holiday, then. Glad she is at least reaching her target audience: the ill-informed and in denial crowd.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
So you are still hopeful for Hillary's gas tax holiday, then. Glad she is at least reaching her target audience: the ill-informed and in denial crowd.
with obamayomama in the White House, taxes unquestionably going to increase..

Between approximately 65 and 75 percent of the price of gasoline in the U.K. is taken as taxes. U.S. drivers are paying a seemingly paltry 27 percent of their gas bill to the government.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
with obamayomama in the White House, taxes unquestionably going to increase..
London also has a "congestion" charge for single drivers in the city. $8 a day, I think. I am all for that action. Americans in general, are stupid. They need to be shocked into reality that the current way of life is not sustainable.

If it takes kicking up taxes on gas and single drivers in SUV, I'm all for it.

Look at the price of cigarettes. If people are wiling to go out of there way to find places to smoke and pay outrageous prices to give themselves cancer, then why not tax the sh!t out of them until they buckle?

If the price gets high enough, people will either change, or die. Either option is fine with me.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
London also has a "congestion" charge for single drivers in the city. $8 a day, I think. I am all for that action. Americans in general, are stupid. They need to be shocked into reality that the current way of life is not sustainable.

If it takes kicking up taxes on gas and single drivers in SUV, I'm all for it.

Look at the price of cigarettes. If people are wiling to go out of there way to find places to smoke and pay outrageous prices to give themselves cancer, then why not tax the sh!t out of them until they buckle?

If the price gets high enough, people will either change, or die. Either option is fine with me.

Brilliant! cut off your nose to spite your face.

cost of fuel figures into far more than your suv...

Jim Bauersfeld, owner of Mike's IGA, said the cost of shipping products to his store from the wholesaler has increased $10,000 per year because of rising fuel prices. As one of the remaining locally owned grocery stores in Topeka, Mike's IGA has to watch expenses closely and cater to the neighborhood, he said.

The cost of groceries has gone up about 6 percent in the past year, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. The cost of many staple foods is rising even faster. The price of milk has shot up 15 percent, flour 18 percent and eggs by 31 percent.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Dumbass, taxing gasoline at the pump doesn't increase taxes on other fuels. In fact if you do it enough to actually lower demand (which takes a lot, considering the inelasticity of demand), you can expect lower wholesale prices for oil-based fuel across the board. So shipping is an asinine example of rising costs.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Brilliant! cut off your nose to spite your face.

And that's why I started buying local. Suburbia is a bad design built around cheap energy. We have exhausted the "cheap" energy, so now what?

If Walmart can't afford to ship crap from China, they might have to change how they do business. If it costs me more to drive to Walmart to buy crap from China, I will either buy less crap from China, or support my local vendor.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Dumbass, taxing gasoline at the pump doesn't increase taxes on other fuels. In fact if you do it enough to actually lower demand (which takes a lot, considering the inelasticity of demand), you can expect lower wholesale prices for oil-based fuel across the board. So shipping is an asinine example of rising costs.
But almost everything shipps via truck at some point, which is fuel purchased at the pump. This increases the cost of shipping which sooner or later is passed on to the consumer. Due to the size of the US, shipping costs are higher than in a small European country

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But almost everything shipps via truck at some point, which is fuel purchased at the pump. This increases the cost of shipping which sooner or later is passed on to the consumer. Due to the size of the US, shipping costs are higher than in a small European country
And that's why buying local becomes an increasingly viable option. It's not my fault NYC pays $200 for a Christmas tree to be shipped from places like Oregon. Maybe buying a Christmas tree is a bad idea?

I know that local cheesecake is just as good as New York cheesecake.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
And that's why buying local becomes an increasingly viable option. It's not my fault NYC pays $200 for a Christmas tree to be shipped from places like Oregon. Maybe buying a Christmas tree is a bad idea?

I agree in theory, but how do you define buying local. Your cheesecake may have been made locally, but the base ingredients were more than likely shipped in. Our infrastructure is built on centrally manufactured items shipped to different locals. This will not be sustainable in the long run unless we develop alternative, renewable energy sources that can be phased in gradually. Unfortunately, the answer is not as simple as buying local

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I agree in theory, but how do you define buying local. Your cheesecake may have been made locally, but the base ingredients were more than likely shipped in. Our infrastructure is built on centrally manufactured items shipped to different locals. This will not be sustainable in the long run unless we develop alternative, renewable energy sources that can be phased in gradually. Unfortunately, the answer is not as simple as buying local
There is no answer other than to change the way we do things. One way to change is to buy local. Another way to change is to drive less. Another way to change is to not drive a guzzler. Another change is not not buy useless crap.

Yes, alternatives help. Buying local helps. Mass transit helps. Not buying crap helps.

The answer is THERE IS NO SINGLE ANSWER. But why wait? Why not do something now?

I buy my veggies from a local farm (organic CSA, Community Supported Ag farm). I buy my other groceries from an employee owned store that gets a majority of it's items local. I buy less crap and I try to buy items that aren't overly packaged.

It's not something that will happen overnight. But if you look at places like Copenhagen, Denmark, you can see what little changes add up to. Nothing will replace gas, that's a fact. But why people fail to understand that oil is a finite source is beyond me.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here in France we pay 1.50euro per litre.

1.5 euro = US$2.33

1 gallon = 4.55litres

This is equil to US$10.64 a gallon.

Quit yer damn bitchin.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Word! It would be sooo nice to see equal prices of gas in us and eu! The sonner the better!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
But we're AMERICANS. We're so fscking fat we can't fit into small cars.
I told my wife yesterday that I felt sorry for the really fat people, she asked why, and I said because gas prices must be hitting them particularly hard since they can't walk places :biggrin:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I told my wife yesterday that I felt sorry for the really fat people, she asked why, and I said because gas prices must be hitting them particularly hard since they can't walk places :biggrin:
It's not like you see a lot of fit people walking everywhere.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
On the upside, here locally there is a stark decline mid 90's Crown Vic's etc with 27" rims on the road...

:)

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
if fat assed euros can squeeze into mini cars then americans can too
Just put it on like a pair of shorts.

Someone could roll them.

Down south, the rednecks are getting raped by the gas prices in their retarded monster trucks. So a lot of them are now driving everywhere 50 mph. I just blow by them in my 35mpg car and wave my middle finger out the window. Get the fsck out the way, hayseed!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Just put it on like a pair of shorts.

Someone could roll them.

Down south, the rednecks are getting raped by the gas prices in their retarded monster trucks. So a lot of them are now driving everywhere 50 mph. I just blow by them in my 35mpg car and wave my middle finger out the window. Get the fsck out the way, hayseed!

did u put a tiny pair of truck testicals on the rear bumper of your Prius too?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge

And that's why I started buying local. Suburbia is a bad design built around cheap energy. We have exhausted the "cheap" energy, so now what?

If Walmart can't afford to ship crap from China, they might have to change how they do business. If it costs me more to drive to Walmart to buy crap from China, I will either buy less crap from China, or support my local vendor.

Damn. We think exactly the same.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn. We think exactly the same.
That's scary.

On the whole trucking issue:

I used to work for Transcore that had a division that handled what the call "Exception Freight". They have a service that allows owner/operators and shipping companies a way to find each other.

Small shippers can't afford trucks and owners can't afford to run "deadhead" (empty). So they can schedule pickups at drop locations to minimize empty road miles.

Example:
Truck running from Portland to Seattle for company A. Before he leaves, or while in route, he checks for loads available in Seattle heading south. He schedules a pickup in Olympia for company B that is headed to Salem. The end result is he runs about 100 miles empty between pickups rather than 400 miles from Seattle back to Portland.

Also, if there is a rush for Company B, then he can get an increased per/mile rate to minimize out of pocket costs for deadhead miles.

Big shippers don't do that. A big truck drops crap at WalMart, then runs empty home. If gas was more, then they would have to find a way to maximize shipping routes. The same way airlines are not flying half-empty planes. Trains overall are cheaper transports, maybe we shouldn't have pulled up all those tracks to make freeways in the first place.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
cool!

just like WalMart does then?

By sourcing more produce locally - WalMart now sells Wisconsin-grown yellow corn in 56 stores in or near Wisconsin - it is able to cut shipping costs. "We are looking at how to reduce the number of miles our suppliers' trucks travel," says Kohn. Marc Turner, whose Bushwick Potato Co. supplies Wal-Mart stores in the Northeast, says the cost of shipping one truck of spuds from his farm in Maine to local Wal-Mart stores costs less than $1,000, compared with several thousand dollars for a big rig from Idaho. Last year his shipments to Wal-Mart grew 13%.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
one fun thing to keep in mind is that $130+ barrel oil hasnt even been refined yet.. once it's in the system look for a nice bump at the pump.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
one fun thing to keep in mind is that $130+ barrel oil hasnt even been refined yet.. once it's in the system look for a nice bump at the pump.
You have a FJ Cruiser and a 4Runner. I thought this sh!t didn't concern you?