Quantcast

5 inch trailbikes, impressions?

SGF2

Chimp
May 8, 2005
Portland
Mountain Bike action put out an article about the $2000 trail bike. The Giant Reign won hands down. I've got the VT and its an amazing trail bike. I just went on a ride this weekend that had a 4 hour climb and had plenty in the tanks for the decent. This thing also handles just fine at the Whistler park and The North Shore (of course I've purchased a Faith to handle those places better). From what they say, the Reign kills the VT.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
After living and riding in SLO for two years, I'd say to look for something with a coil shock. I hate riding my bikes with air shocks over lots of loose rocks, it just hurts the back and makes it hard to find traction. There are mostly techy climbs in SLO, and not a lot of long grinders. With the amount of loose rock on TV Tower Road and MDO, you get more traction with a coil shock climbing, and can thus make the climbs easier. The only place in town I liked having an air shock was climbing up Stagecoach, but Shooters is more fun and quicker. The AS-X worked great in SLO, as does anything on the softer side. Almost all of my friends with Blur 4x's love them in SLO, I'd recomend that, but then again, it does have an air shock. I've seen them with DHX coils, but they also cost a boat load.

I had a Heckler for two months in SLO and hated it. It just didn't have the cush that I wanted for longer cross country rides, nor the agressive geometry I was looking for. I do, however, have friends with Hecklers in SLO who love them. Who is your friend, btw?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
lol get aim motherfvcker. So who is this chick we're suggesting bikes for? Does she even know your mom? Hecklers kinda suck in SLO. Geometry is just too mellow, at least for me. Enduros are really good, lower and a bit more slack. The Cannondale could be cool, but it has a lefty. Sure, it's a good fork, but when it breaks, as everything breaks, it's a lot harder to find replacement parts for, it can't be used with a lot of roof mounts, it might be impossible to borrow a front wheel if you taco it, and it will encourage you to eat more french fries, which makes you fatter, and gives you more protection for them marbly trails. Go for something that has a good showing at a local dealer, i.e. Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Giant, or Intense. Foothill might even have Iron Horse now, too.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Foothill is dealing Iron Horse now. And the people there are the bomb... sometimes.

Bikenweed - Josh actually has a shop van that say's "Foothill" on the side now. It's got a system in it and no back seats. Can you say all weather shuttle vehicle?

Check my new sig punk.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
shweeeet

Let's hot box the foothill van. That shop is the best in town. Josh has loaned me tools over night, doesn't mind if you pound beers inside, and has cool bikes. Dan Bagg's shuttle truck is still better. I hope no one dies now that it is "fast", as if it was slow to begin with...

When we were shooting the Giant catalogue, the groupies with the photogs told us that we shouldn't drive on TV Tower cuz it was too bumpy for Dan's broken shackles. Then they tried to follow us to the top of elevator shaft in some retarded SUV. End of those warnings.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well I own both the Prophet and the MK3 and have had a lot of time on a Blur...the MK3 wins hands down...I'm actually looking to increase my ownership of DW link bikes in the future :thumb:...D