Quantcast

5 K Dh is the next race on Gravity East Series.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
8-24-09 Update:
Since we are part of both the Gravity East Series and the inaugural Pro Grt, only the pro men and pro women will get a seeding run. The Women's Category 1 will not be combined with the Pro Women.
Sorry for any confusion.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Results will be available live and online, and updated instantly thanks to our timers All Sports Events.

I already added the 5 K DH official results tab on the 5 K DH Menu on our home page.

bigh

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
Omacron Persei 8
Just trying to figure out, does the registration fee cover sunday practice /lift ticket or do I need to get lift tickets for sat and sun on top of registering. thanks.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Registration does not include the lift tickets. On the Active online registration you have the choice this year to buy a 1 day lift ticket or a 2 day lift ticket. You also have the choice to buy your lift ticket at the mountain.

With many showing up early to practice we are already having some great end of the day group rides. I sense some record size end of the day 4:00 pm group rides at Whiteface this week. Thanks everyone!
Forecast for Thursday and Friday is sunny and highs of 66 and 68.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Just a reminder that online registration closes (tomorrow) Thursday evening at 9:00 pm est.

If you have a usac license and answer yes on the online registration, please include your license #. The answer is not mandatory because some do not have a license and will be buying the 1 day license at the event.

Also, if you still have a birthday this year, add 1 year to your racing age. Example; if your birthday is next month and you are 29 now, your racing age is 30. This example shows how important it can be to put your correct racing age on the forms, as it could change you from 19-29 to the 30-30 age bracket.

Bring your USAC or international license to the event!

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The participating hotel will give you a coupon. Just bring that coupon to either the pre-registration or the registration tables, and we will print you out your lift ticket.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
A couple of pictures from today:
7:30 am:

Tech/Expo area is starting to fill up:

We had a great group ride at the end of the day:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
6:30 am Saturday:
A little rain overnight and overcast this morning.
The forecast is for rain today, diminishing tonight and only a 30% chance of rain for Sunday. Many forecasts this summers said rain and it didn't rain at all!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
The forecast is for rain today, diminishing tonight and only a 30% chance of rain for Sunday. Many forecasts this summers said rain and it didn't rain at all!
Right now at 8:45. According to accuweather it looks like possible rain only right now.

Too bad I can't stay.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007

it poured today. was a sloppy mess when the rain stopped. Was a blast when it was pouring rain and a river down the course. Actully had grip and not peanutbutter on rocks.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The skies were a little darker this morning (7:45 am). The forecast for tomorrow is much brighter!:

Race village grew today:

Neko wins the ds:

Local winners:

Full report after the race.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Neko Mulally wins the Whiteface 5 K DH with a blistering time of 7.48.15. Only 3 others broke the minute mark:

Only 3 others broke the minute mark. Geritt Beytagh 2nd at 7.50.85, Jurgen Beneke 3rd with a 7.52.10 and Jason Memmelaar with a time of 7.58.28. Local Heikki Hall takes 5th place with 8.03.41 and Chris Heath came in just behind Heikki with a 6th place finish for the 5 K DH, and wins the U.S.A.Cycling's Innagaural Pro Gravity Tour.

On the Pro Womens side Dawn Bourque once again won the 5 K DH with a very fast time of 9.41.29. Karen Eagan came in 2nd with a time of 10.05.50, Alexandra Lacroix 3rd at 12.35.50, Jennifer Wolf from Mammoth Lakes, Ca. at 12.36.25 and Stephanie Gobernat 5th eith a time of 12.36.53.

Richie Rude at only 14 years old had the fastest amateur time of the day and won $200.00 courtesy of Giant Bicycles with the time of 8.17.80.

Official results for the 5 k dh can be found HERE

Podium, hot seat and race village photos being uploaded now in the 4th Annual 5 K DH photo album on www.downhillmike.com

Last edited:

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
Not sure how I feel about seeding runs, I am not a pro so maybe a pro will give there feelings on this. Having to qualify is one thing, but a seeding run seems like a waste of time if everyone "qualifies". I see how it adds to the excitement of waiting for the faster riders, but is it worth it to push it if you know you are going to have a race run a short time later. Maybe a qualifier on Saturday would be better, especially with a long course like Whiteface.

Sorry, I am at work and have nothing better to do but rant.

i think seeding runs is a good idea here, you have a large spectrum of riders in the pro field, a long course and a lot of money on the line. if you are a fast pro gunning for first and you catch a slow pro that messes up your run, you are gonna be rip s@#t. it happened to kyle hickey 2 years ago and he ended up in 4th. caught a guy in the first woods section, maybe could have placed better if that guy was not there or had the snese to move when kyle was yelling at him. so anyways, thats why they do it.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
His chainless run was fast enough to finish 6th in the normal pro class.:eek:

In all honesty, how awesome is that course?
Its an 8 minute course and his time was only 13 seconds slower without a chain.
Sounds like he needs to pedal more.:D

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
every wide fakin open ski slope section should ride like that one did. It was so gnarly and fast by chainless runs at the end of the day.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
His chainless run was fast enough to finish 6th in the normal pro class.:eek:

In all honesty, how awesome is that course?
Its an 8 minute course and his time was only 13 seconds slower without a chain.
It is so freaking steep and fast there are very few places to pedal or you are already going so fast you are spun out already.

Whiteface is great!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Flatted during my race run right at the top. Pulled the tire and tube off and got about 2/3 of the way down before it finally decided to give in. Oh well, still had a great time.

Attachments

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO

I was hiking down to the slabs to get some pics when I heard absolute terror coming up behind me. You must have had a ton of fun on those after this section :)