Quantcast

>>>> 5 minute citizenship Wednesday GTM >>>>

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Did I ever. The second one still stalks me on here. :tinfoil:

The first one dropped off after the payments stopped. I still have 14 more payments on this one. But I'm sure the crazy will continue. The first one wasn't crazy, just a master manipulator. The second one, wow. Just when you think "that was the craziest sh!t I've ever seen." She says "Hold my gluten free beer..."

<edit> The 2nd says she has a bet that the 3rd will shoot me in the face by year 3. I'm only 20 months in, so we shall see. :rofl:
:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:lizurds:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did I ever. The second one still stalks me on here. :tinfoil:

The first one dropped off after the payments stopped. I still have 14 more payments on this one. But I'm sure the crazy will continue. The first one wasn't crazy, just a master manipulator. The second one, wow. Just when you think "that was the craziest sh!t I've ever seen." She says "Hold my gluten free beer..."

<edit> The 2nd says she has a bet that the 3rd will shoot me in the face by year 3. I'm only 20 months in, so we shall see. :rofl:
You shouldn't finance wives. If you don't have the cash don't buy them, no matter how low the interest rate.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
At work. If there is one thing that grinds my gears, it is other people using my desk and messing with the cables on my monitors and laptop dock. Leave desk the way you found it, this includes unplugging stuff you played with and DON'T LEAVE GODDAMN COFFEE MUGS FOR ME TO CLEAN UP. :banghead:

But anyways, I had fun at the hospital again this morning. It seems our health care system is just a shit show. I got xrayed and stuff in the city where I got hurt, but there is no easy way for the local docs to get those images. So, I had to go through the entire process again this morning...all to get a referral for a local orthopedic doctor. Have to back at 4 to over the results.
Oh no. that really sucks. seems like with a little modernization, a lot of savings could be had....
On top of that, my Banshee frame is cracked.
But are you surprised? - My LBS won't sell me a Banshee. They say they've seen too many cracked ones, and the customer service was not good. They flat out refused.

I, on the other hand am staring new bike time right in the face. I got a big fat retroactive pay today. My union came to an agreement with our employer in the spring for our collective agreement that expired two years ago. So now we are getting paid at a new rate, and are receiving back-pay for the two years covered by the agreement. It amounts to a new bike. I'm looking at a used Transition Patrol from last year, a new Devinci Troy, or a new YT Jeffsy (29 - because why not? I'm willing to give it a try and can always sell it if I don't like it).

I really want a Patrol. It ticks all my boxes: threaded BB, 142 rear end, water bottle, and from everything that I've read, the ride qualities are right up my alley: rails the downs, pedals well, is lively. The only problem is one that I found here in Canuckistan that is what I'm after is listed for more used than the other two options would be new. I might be able to haggle a bit, but I'm guessing there's not that much margin. I'll see. I've already reached out to ask about wear.

I had also been contemplating a new GG Megatrail SS, but the exchange rate is absolutely killer right now. It's a real shame.

Anyone ridden a Patrol, a Troy and a Jeffsy and care to comment on them?

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Looking at the bike build, I can get an Evil Wreckoning frame for $2900 (including headset) before any kind of negotiating. That's ~$550 less than the Yeti Turq and brings the cost much more into a range that's acceptable to me. 160mm as well... and it has a threaded BB.

Who knew that Yeti's inflexibility regarding pricing would potentially take me off the brand after 18 years.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But are you surprised? - My LBS won't sell me a Banshee. They say they've seen too many cracked ones, and the customer service was not good. They flat out refused.
Yes and no. I've seen and read other stories from the same frame, but mine in particular has close to 6000km of trails under it and I have in no way been easy on it, nor am I any sort of lightweight. This thing has seen more jumps, rocks and cases than my DH bike. My only experience with Banshee warranty was when they replaced the V1 frame with this one for the cost of the shock....so we'll see.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
How many backup bikes do you have?
DAMMIT @Westy . . . fanatik didn't actually have in stock. at least they let me know right away. i called intense and they also have none on hand, due to my archaic 135 spacing. i shall now helicoil the fucking thing tonight in one last effort to thwart the lizard overlords. [insert popcorn emoji]

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DAMMIT @Westy . . . fanatik didn't actually have in stock. at least they let me know right away. i called intense and they also have none on hand, due to my archaic 135 spacing. i shall now helicoil the fucking thing tonight in one last effort to thwart the lizard overlords. [insert popcorn emoji]

What kind of schmuck only has one bike?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
At work. If there is one thing that grinds my gears, it is other people using my desk and messing with the cables on my monitors and laptop dock. Leave desk the way you found it, this includes unplugging stuff you played with and DON'T LEAVE GODDAMN COFFEE MUGS FOR ME TO CLEAN UP. :banghead:

But anyways, I had fun at the hospital again this morning. It seems our health care system is just a shit show. I got xrayed and stuff in the city where I got hurt, but there is no easy way for the local docs to get those images. So, I had to go through the entire process again this morning...all to get a referral for a local orthopedic doctor. Have to back at 4 to over the results.

On top of that, my Banshee frame is cracked.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Grab the 142 spacing version and shim the heck out of your hub, noob.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Is there a preferred grinder wheel for this?
It's called a "cut off disc". You can use it to remove the gusset before the crack spreads to other areas. That is of course if the frame is no longer covered under warranty or crash replacement.

I'm not joking. If it's not covered, cut it off, carefully grind away the cracked weld to prevent further cracking, and ride it till you rip the bottom bracket shell off. Just don't do any big hucks to flat and you should avoid any near death level crashes.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It's called a "cut off disc". You can use it to remove the gusset before the crack spreads to other areas. That is of course if the frame is no longer covered under warranty or crash replacement.

I'm not joking. If it's not covered, cut it off, carefully grind away the cracked weld to prevent further cracking, and ride it till you rip the bottom bracket shell off. Just don't do any big hucks to flat and you should avoid any near death level crashes.
:popcorn:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

He could also drill holes on either side of the cracks to prevent further propagation.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The storms arrived. We still rode. 2 hrs in continuous thunder and lightning overhead, weatherman says 1.1" of rain fell in that time. Trails turned into streams with hubs deep water, we had more fun than we should have. Only negative is, my N5X most likely didn't survive the adventure. :(