Quantcast

5010 Shock Rate

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I couldn't find the Santa Cruz 5010 on Linkage. What's the shock rate on it look like? If you were gonna put the new Fox Float DPS/Evol on one would you use the small or large air can? Do you think the only aftermarket damper tune Fox offers will work well or does SC usually have a unique tune done to match their shock rate?
I can't get an answer on when they'll be shipping with the 2016 shocks so I'm considering buying the frame bare and getting the shock from Fox.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Not sure if this will be helpful....

My 2014 5010 with fox ctd non kashima has a "custom tune ID" of CSN7. The recommended air settings on Santa Cruz website suggest I should run 170psi @ 180lbs. I'm about 175 before hydration pack, I run my shock at 185lbs.

I know nothing of linkage leverage shimz circuits dampening compressions valving shimz shimz shims antisquat jargon, so my typing is probably not super helpful, I will say, I've enjoyed my 5010 so far and have no complaints.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
You see, if you flip the graph over, it makes a "U" shape, indicating the unrideableness of the 5010:

image.jpg

Probably best to avoid ;)

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Yes, I suspected the U shaped VPP curve. I prefer the suspension feel of my Ibis Mojo SL but I want a tapered headtube and 27.5" rear wheel which my current bike lacks. The bike I test rode had the current CTD shock and I'm really hoping the new shock feels better but I want to make sure I pair up the air can's spring curve with the bike's shock rate.
That's more progressive in the final 3rd of travel than I would have guessed riding it but then again the scale on the left side could just be making it look that way. I'm pretty sure the Evol can comes in high or normal volume (positive side) and I'll get the normal.

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Yes, I suspected the U shaped VPP curve. I prefer the suspension feel of my Ibis Mojo SL but I want a tapered headtube and 27.5" rear wheel which my current bike lacks. The bike I test rode had the current CTD shock and I'm really hoping the new shock feels better but I want to make sure I pair up the air can's spring curve with the bike's shock rate.
That's more progressive in the final 3rd of travel than I would have guessed riding it but then again the scale on the left side could just be making it look that way. I'm pretty sure the Evol can comes in high or normal volume (positive side) and I'll get the normal.
I too favor head tube style over suspension "feel".

If my head tube don't look like a phat bottomed girl, I can't ride it!

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
A tapered headtube would let me use a modern fork. I've been using a Maverick DUC for like 10 years on a 575 and then the Mojo SL. I've done a lot of modifications (IFP, custom shim stack & oil, custom negative spring, custom bottom-out bumpers to make it 140mm & 27.5"). It's a pretty good fork but the Pike on my Nomad feels better and I hear the new 34 is good. Maybe those are available in straight 1 1/8 but I bet they feel flexier. The 5010 also gets me a 27.5 rear wheel.

I like the feel of my Mojo SL's suspension but it's probably plusher and more travel than I need my XC bike to be. I think I'm faster on the 5010 I've been testing. This might be my last year racing full time and getting hookups. My XC bike is the only one in the stable that's not current, top of the line (besides the inverted fork & 26" rear wheel, it's 3×8) so I want to take the opportunity to update it.

Overall it's a kinda lateral move but I'm hoping the 2016 shock will make the suspension feel better than the 2015 Float Evolution on the 5010 I've been on. I haven't seen any Corset reviews from VPP owners but the new Fox air can is similar so yeah, I wanna make sure I get it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I haven't had a go on the 2016 Fox air can yet, but from people I've spoken to that have, the Vorsprung feels better. It might be the ticket if you insist on the VPP bike - and apart from the small additional cost, would alleviate your concerns about whether or not you get the new shock. Sounds like it may even end up working out cheaper that way if you were thinking of buying frame and shock seperately before.

I haven't had a chance to put the Vorsprung on a VPP yet, but I put one on an Orange Five last weekend (almost dead linear, slightly digressive all the way through the travel) and it very much did what it claimed, both myself and the owner of the bike were quite impressed with the result. Much less harsh/firm in the first third of travel and more support in the midstroke.

If it were my choice I'd get a different frame (one that doesn't have a digressive to progressive curve), it's not like the 5010 is the only frame out there with a tapered headtube and a 27.5" back wheel. I'm sure you have other reasons for selecting it though.