Quantcast

510 Freeriders - What's the deal with them?

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
They are aware of the problem, have remedied it, and are standing by the previously produced product. I wouldn't worry at all about ordering a pair now.

They warrantied mine, no questions asked. Great company to work with in an industry where that can get dodgy sometimes.

DH-LOS

Chimp
Oct 3, 2009
I havent had any trouble with my 5:10 I have the diff from the link mine are all black they are the Sam Hill style ones and love them I have had them for 2+ years now no prob at all.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I've been on a pair of them off and on this season. Not sure about other peoples issues, but mine are pretty solid. I do notice the rubber on the outer edge has come un-glued near the pedal area, but that's it. They're comfy, and nicely casual...:thumb:
I havent had any trouble with my 5:10 I have the diff from the link mine are all black they are the Sam Hill style ones and love them I have had them for 2+ years now no prob at all.
Yeah, the older models are solid. I still have some mid-tops that I use for the gnar gnar. They're still the original re-issues from 2006!

DH-LOS

Chimp
Oct 3, 2009
I've been on a pair of them off and on this season. Not sure about other peoples issues, but mine are pretty solid. I do notice the rubber on the outer edge has come un-glued near the pedal area, but that's it. They're comfy, and nicely casual...:thumb:

Yeah, the older models are solid. I still have some mid-tops that I use for the gnar gnar. They're still the original re-issues from 2006!

Ahh ok didnt know they are new style like that.. They still make our model right?? Although i think my next shoe is gonna be the 661..

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I do notice the rubber on the outer edge has come un-glued near the pedal area, but that's it.
That's what I've heard, but it was a slightly more drastic problem. What I've read said that it came undone all around. It's a little hard for me to warranty a pair, since I do not have a distributor in my country. I really like the black and white ones, maybe I'll just give em a try and see what I can do to mine if the outer edges start coming undone.

Thanks for the replies.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
I've been riding the white/black ones all summer as my commuting shoes, and a little bit of dirt jump/trail action as well. The outer edge is all coming unglued for me and I'm already through the sole on one of the shoes.

Definitely not as durable as my impacts that I've been rocking for 3 years.

Nice to know they're standing by them. I guess I'll be sending mine back.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I've been riding the white/black ones all summer as my commuting shoes, and a little bit of dirt jump/trail action as well. The outer edge is all coming unglued for me and I'm already through the sole on one of the shoes.

Same thing has happened to mine, just shot them an email to see if they'll cover it.. I was just gonna pick up some shoe goo and re-glue them myself over the winter.. but if I can get a new pair of shoes out of the deal, I'd glady do that.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore

That's really making me re-think buying them. The cost I'd have to bear in shipping them back and forth, if they fall apart on me, really doesn't make it seem like it'd be worth it for me to make a purchase just because "I'd like to try a pair".

Thanks for the replies.

dezs3028

Chimp
Apr 28, 2009
I have had the same issue with the thin rubber along the edges coming unglued but i used a little "Shoe Goo", the stuff's real cheap and its been holding like a champ for the last few months. So its a pretty easy fix if 510 hasn't resolved it already.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I have had a pair for two months. The thin rubber along the sides started peeling off immediately, and now the sole has peeled off from the toe back to the arch. Not impressed, I've had $40 vans that hold up much longer. I will try and warranty them, hopefully they are using better adhesive now.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
5.10 has fixed the delaming problem with the rubber on the freeriders. They have gone to a one piece sole now, instead of glued. The factory didn't grind the rubber properly before gluing the old ones.

I have 2 pairs of new ones, one scribble an one zebra, and both are holding up great.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How do people feel about the freeriders as a casual shoe? I'd kind of like a pair of 5.10s, but don't ride flats enough to really justify it if I can't just use them as street shoes too. Thoughts?

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
5.10 has fixed the delaming problem with the rubber on the freeriders. They have gone to a one piece sole now, instead of glued. The factory didn't grind the rubber properly before gluing the old ones.

I have 2 pairs of new ones, one scribble an one zebra, and both are holding up great.
If you don't mind, could you tell me where you got the new Scribbles from? The only place I know that I could buy from is Chain Reaction Cycles, but I'm not sure if the ones they list are the new ones.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario

Is the one piece sole still the same thickness? My scribble wore through the sole as quick as a pair of vans.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
To those of you who have dealt with a warranty on the Freerider models... did they require a receipt for a replacement? I have a pair that I picked up earlier this summer from a 5.10 retailer that have the aforementioned problems (bad glue, paper foot bed, overall bad quality) problem is I didn't expect to need a receipt for warranty on something as basic as a sub $100 shoe. Saving receipts for new frames, forks, etc is understandable but shoes hadn't thought of it.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
How do people feel about the freeriders as a casual shoe? I'd kind of like a pair of 5.10s, but don't ride flats enough to really justify it if I can't just use them as street shoes too. Thoughts?
Other than looking dorky and having tons of rad dudes coming up and asking if you freeriiiiiide you'll be alright...

...unless you like to have fun when you get drunk and go dancin and all that. I've eaten **** running and stressed the **** out of my knee dancing while wearing 510's because the sole is so sticky it doesn't slide. My knee literally hurt for months from one night of droppin it like its hot in the club.