Quantcast

555 Thursday 555

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Here. Early morning for work. I actually have to go in, as batteries are available for laptops, but on a first come basis. Have to do a bunch of smile and dial because I told a city manager I would for part of his staff.

Otherwise, parts have started showing up. Learned last night that I can swap in an STI steering rack with minimal issues. Takes it from a 19:1 to 15:1 steering ratio. It was the best mod I did to the old Forester hands down; the resulting change to the handling was incredible. A refurb cost $150, so cheap is the understatement. Only caveat is that the yaw sensor gets screwy, so you have to pull your traction control. Neither M nor last Forester had traction control, so I don't think this will be an issue for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Here. Early morning for work. I actually have to go in, as batteries are available for laptops, but on a first come basis. Have to do a bunch of smile and dial because I told a city manager I would for part of his staff.

Otherwise, parts have started showing up. Learned last night that I can swap in an STI steering rack with minimal issues. Takes it from a 19:1 to 15:1 steering ratio. It was the best mod I did to the old Forester hands down; the resulting change to the handling was incredible. A refurb cost $150, so cheap is the understatement. Only caveat is that the yaw sensor gets screwy, so you have to pull your traction control. Neither M nor last Forester had traction control, so I don't think this will be an issue for me.
holy shit what did I miss?

slept great, had zoom beers with dad homies last night, now it's back to the grind.

Has anybody switched groups within the same company? I don't jive with my manager and there's another group that is hiring. It could be a good fit but I wholly expect my current manager to never talk to me again.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
holy shit what did I miss?

slept great, had zoom beers with dad homies last night, now it's back to the grind.

Has anybody switched groups within the same company? I don't jive with my manager and there's another group that is hiring. It could be a good fit but I wholly expect my current manager to never talk to me again.
1. 555 - look at the title

2. I've switched 3x within my company (don't consider the Investment Bank > retirement business, as it's too great). I went from asset retention > investment management > retirement plan advisor (work with employees at 9 employer plans). The switch from AR to IM switched me mgmt silo and I was in effectively a different entity in the company. There was some crossover, but minimal. My original manager got butt hurt and basically only talked to me in passing afterwards. Sr. Mgmt from that silo took advantage of my new role and ended up using my experience to help integrate the two silos better. IM > RPA was a smoother transition as I'm doing a large part of the same business, just external vs. internal, and with a specific group of retirement plans/employees vs. whomever called. I barely talk to my old manager but still regularly talk to Products and back-office at IM because of my technical base is arguably the best for all of the company RPAs (~500) and can communicate with them best. Each move was a step higher up, regarding what it takes to get into the position, but not monstrous level movements. I did that on purpose though, as stress is a seizure issue for me. Moving from silo>silo has the potential to give large up-steps because you are bringing new ideas and internal viewpoints to the new team. I'm in a largely sales-based organization, so integration across our whole platform is a very important part of our business.

3. I've gotten bored of not having a fast car. I've made it nearly a year since selling the M (4/20) and can't go any longer. Wifey was pushing me to get a new car because the Forester "is old". We looked at an All-Road and momentarily at a Polestar, but I couldn't justify $45k for a used A4 with 20k. I have some basic requirements for a car: turbo, awd, wagon, good handling, good a/v. I realized that I can update my Forester, which is effectively a raised wagon, for around $4-5k. So, Bilstein struts, lowering (1.6" springs), projector headlight retrofit (have one with moisture in it), new Alpine head unit w/ rear view camera, and toe/ball jt kit for lowered cars (also have a bent one to fix), plus a bunch of maintenance stuff are all inbound. I have a rust spot on the hatch from cracked paint and the windshield needs to be replaced (insurance free replacement), but I'll do those after winter. Plus a solid detail to get it properly clean because children.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
1. 555 - look at the title

2. I've switched 3x within my company (don't consider the Investment Bank > retirement business, as it's too great). I went from asset retention > investment management > retirement plan advisor (work with employees at 9 employer plans). The switch from AR to IM switched me mgmt silo and I was in effectively a different entity in the company. There was some crossover, but minimal. My original manager got butt hurt and basically only talked to me in passing afterwards. Sr. Mgmt from that silo took advantage of my new role and ended up using my experience to help integrate the two silos better. IM > RPA was a smoother transition as I'm doing a large part of the same business, just external vs. internal, and with a specific group of retirement plans/employees vs. whomever called. I barely talk to my old manager but still regularly talk to Products and back-office at IM because of my technical base is arguably the best for all of the company RPAs (~500) and can communicate with them best. Each move was a step higher up, regarding what it takes to get into the position, but not monstrous level movements. I did that on purpose though, as stress is a seizure issue for me. Moving from silo>silo has the potential to give large up-steps because you are bringing new ideas and internal viewpoints to the new team. I'm in a largely sales-based organization, so integration across our whole platform is a very important part of our business.

3. I've gotten bored of not having a fast car. I've made it nearly a year since selling the M (4/20) and can't go any longer. Wifey was pushing me to get a new car because the Forester "is old". We looked at an All-Road and momentarily at a Polestar, but I couldn't justify $45k for a used A4 with 20k. I have some basic requirements for a car: turbo, awd, wagon, good handling, good a/v. I realized that I can update my Forester, which is effectively a raised wagon, for around $4-5k. So, Bilstein struts, lowering (1.6" springs), projector headlight retrofit (have one with moisture in it), new Alpine head unit w/ rear view camera, and toe/ball jt kit for lowered cars (also have a bent one to fix), plus a bunch of maintenance stuff are all inbound. I have a rust spot on the hatch from cracked paint and the windshield needs to be replaced (insurance free replacement), but I'll do those after winter. Plus a solid detail to get it properly clean because children.
I thought you had purchased either a 22rs to turn into a 555 replica or an actual ex-racecar to fuck around with.....woo

Thanks for the tips on intra company move. My stress level is astronomical right now, and I feel like my current manager likes to say "Be independent and make your own decisions" then "but only do things the way I want them done, here let me do it". I have gotten visibly fed up at this point and would like a better solution than just freaking out.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey buckaroos! I went to bed at 7:45 last night. :dead: I am feeling like a normal human again after that first covid shot wrecked me yesterday. I even hit the bike trainer early this morning for 90 minutes of "light tempo." I am 2.5 hours into the new and improved Justice League movie, and dare I say it is good.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Definitely just drove into my office garage with the box on my Subaru. Glad I realized it and promptly parked it guest parking vs. trying to park closer to my building.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

It's moving day! I get to move my keyboard from my old cube at the old office to my new cube in the new office. I have a 4 hour window, I hope I can get it done.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have cancer.

Ball removal tentatively scheduled for next Friday.

I suppose this means I have to finish putting together @stoney old road bike so I can ride Le Tour. Who do I talk to about EPO?
Sorry to hear that. Is it isolated to that one nut? If so, and removal is all that's required, I guess that's a pretty good prognosis, no?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have cancer.

I suppose this means I have to finish putting together @stoney old road bike so I can ride Le Tour. Who do I talk to about EPO?
Well, dying in that motorcycle accident didn't kill you, so I'd say your odds are pretty good here.

Also, if you want to keep it in a jar, ask before the surgery.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have cancer.

:thumbsdown:

Win Le Tour or invade Poland, those are your choices.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have cancer.

Not going to give you the dislike button on such a post...but I dislike that. Best of luck, and I hope that gets it all.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just got off phone with Docs office. Surgery tomorrow afternoon.

The ultrasound I got last tuesday when I thought I'd given myself a hernia picked up a "mass" on the other nut. It's tiny. I might have actually gotten really lucky on this one. I have no symptoms of anything, and it can't be physically felt yet. Unless test show other wise, its going to be just an out-patient surgery and then I take a week off of work. No Chemo or radiation should be needed. Which isn't to say this last week hasn't been stressful. The *unknown* was the real killer. I actually feel better having a path forward.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
shit squeeb. what the fuck. hang in there man. one of my buddies here had to have a nut removed here a few years ago and has come back strong since then. you'll do the same no doubt.

gonefirefightin

free wieners

The ultrasound I got last tuesday when I thought I'd given myself a hernia picked up a "mass" on the other nut. It's tiny. I might have actually gotten really lucky on this one. I have no symptoms of anything, and it can't be physically felt yet. Unless test show other wise, its going to be just an out-patient surgery and then I take a week off of work. No Chemo or radiation should be needed. Which isn't to say this last week hasn't been stressful. The *unknown* was the real killer. I actually feel better having a path forward.
Glad hear it sounds early enough and you are on top of it. I just hope this doesn't turn into a "So I let a friend do surgery on me in my bedroom" type ordeal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Have your doc write you a note for the dispensary.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Did they do any kind of biopsy or they're just breaking out the garden shears?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Squeeb... hope it works out well. good that they caught it so quick.

fwiw, I'm rootin' for ya from the great white north...