Quantcast

5th anniversary ideas?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
got the big number 5 coming up on friday and i'm having trouble thinking of what to get the wife. it's silly, but we've always followed the traditional material... i.e, 5 years is wood.

any ideas for something sweet, romantic, wooden and under $20?? have i painted myself into a corner?

i'd like to get her one of these welsh love spoons ... but they're expensive and i'd have no idea where to get one around here. that's the kind of thing i was thinking of...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk and I just celebreated #5. Congratulations!

We don't exchange anniversary gifts. We did exchange cards though. And she bought me a griddle for making pancakes. :D (We agreed to no gifts!! :mumble: )

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
man, i totally misread "griddle" as "girdle" ... :D

congrats to you guys as well. we like to keep it simple and cheap, but we both like getting presents. :love:

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
You could get a nice wooden picture frame and have it personalized with the date or quote or something, and then put a nice pic of you both in it. Just a thought. Congrats on the anniversary! :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What did you guys do for your honeymoon? Have you ever had any special/significant dates (do you remember the first place you took her)?

For our 5th, my wife and I went back to the same place we went on our honeymoon - same hotel and everything. Now, that had nothing to do with wood, and wasn't exactly in your $20 range... but you get the point.

Can you take her to dinner at the same place you proposed? Or perhaps to the same place where you took her on a first date? Something like that. Not sure about the wood thing though, sorry.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
jacksonpt said:
What did you guys do for your honeymoon? Have you ever had any special/significant dates (do you remember the first place you took her)?

For our 5th, my wife and I went back to the same place we went on our honeymoon - same hotel and everything. Now, that had nothing to do with wood, and wasn't exactly in your $20 range... but you get the point.

Can you take her to dinner at the same place you proposed? Or perhaps to the same place where you took her on a first date? Something like that. Not sure about the wood thing though, sorry.
good ideas all, thanks. i might shoot for something along those lines jackson. we met down in fredericksburg, va and we don't get many 'dates' these days without the 10month old tagging along :) i might talk my neighbor into babysitting and take her out somewhere local.

we honeymooned in cozumel... not in the budget to return and i'm not sure they've recovered from katrina yet. last i heard the whole island was underwater.

i'm going to look into planting a tree or something for her.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Why don't you just go for a picnic or something in the park or something?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
stosh said:
Why don't you just go for a picnic or something in the park or something?
we're going out to a posh brunch on saturday with the baby, i'd like to have some sort of present and a card in addition to that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You could plant a tree, we have a graft apple in the back yard that we planted in the back yard of our first house, but we took it with us when we moved.

My wife and I don't do much on our anniversary because the day we met is more meaningful. But it just so happens that Friday is our 6th and I got her a wedding band.

The nice diamond one I got her she has managed to beat the piss out of and we keep having to take it in and get the stone reset. So this year I got her a Ti one in 4mm to match mine.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I Are Baboon said:
MtnBikerChk and I just celebreated #5. Congratulations!

We don't exchange anniversary gifts. We did exchange cards though. And she bought me a griddle for making pancakes. :D (We agreed to no gifts!! :mumble: )

How bout a wooden griddle?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
DRB said:
Welsh love spoon? There is no way I'm clicking that link.

Stealth plant a tree in a favorite park or near a favorite spot.

Yah, thats great! I'd plant more then one for better odds. A dead tree given on a wedding anniversary is symbolism nobody needs.

ps Though this is somewhat belated, congrats on the kid!

J

JRB

DRB said:
I bet that hippy SS could whip one of those out of his commune's woodshop in a jiffy.
Save some for Friday man. This is how you got the title. Don't waste it all on a Tuesday.

J

JRB

I kind of like the picture frame deal, but it's a little late for personalization.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
got the big number 5 coming up on friday and i'm having trouble thinking of what to get the wife. it's silly, but we've always followed the traditional material... i.e, 5 years is wood.
DUDE!

The 5 year anniversary gift is Wood?!

You're totally set - the next time you two are alone all you have to do is think some happy thoughts, maybe about Rosario Dawson, and viola' "Happy Anniversary"!

BTW - "The Welsh Love Spoons" is the best speed-metal band of all time... don't act like they're not.

Get her something meaningful, from the heart. If you actually demonstrate that you spent a lot of time making it (scrapbook of your favorite memories together) it'll be the best anniversary ever - just don't forget to purchase something nice for her as well.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I think the tree idea is AWESOME, although most trees are going to be more than $20. How about getting a set of wooden collage picture frames and put a picture of the two of you each year that you have been married? Provided you can find a collage frame for 5 pics? :think:

For example:

or

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
TreeSaw said:
I think the tree idea is AWESOME, although most trees are going to be more than $20. How about getting a set of wooden collage picture frames and put a picture of the two of you each year that you have been married? Provided you can find a collage frame for 5 pics? :think:

For example:

or

Nice. I like the bottom one! :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
antimony said:
Nice. I like the bottom one! :)
Me too! The craft store I go to always has nice frames. They have one that I really like but couldn't find a picture of. It's a cool 3D collage, but it isn't wood (doesn't have any frame--it's all acrylic).

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
S.K.C. said:
DUDE!

The 5 year anniversary gift is Wood?!

You're totally set - the next time you two are alone all you have to do is think some happy thoughts, maybe about Rosario Dawson, and viola' "Happy Anniversary"!
skc beatcha to it :D

i'm digging the picture frames a LOT! i will go into the archives and find some pix then pay a visit to Michaels to see what frames they have. thanks!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
corey_dcstreet said:
skc beatcha to it :D

i'm digging the picture frames a LOT! i will go into the archives and find some pix then pay a visit to Michaels to see what frames they have. thanks!
Excellent! I'd love to see the finished product (if you're willing to share). When I told my husband about it he said that you'll get extra props for doing something personal like that ;)